MPAA/RIAA at it again

Fezmid

The lawyers for the MPAA and RIAA sure are persistant. The broadcast flag has been shot down at least three times, yet they're trying to bring it back yet again. How long before they're told to go away?

Anyway, for those so inclinded, there's a form you can fill out that sends a letter to your politicians. You'll usually even get a snail-mail letter back from them thanking you for your time and telling you what their position on the matter is.

Government only works when people make their voices heard. (hmm, is this a PPP post?)

CW

* Action Alert: Horror Triple Bill for Digital Technology

This Thursday, the heads of the MPAA and RIAA presented to

the House Subcommittee on the Courts, the Internet, and

Intellectual Property their plans for the future of digital

technology. They gave the House drafts of three bills they

would like passed: the Analog Content Protection Act, the HD

Radio Content Protection Act, and the Broadcast Flag

Authorization Act. These proposed laws are truly a horror

triple bill.

For high-definition television (HDTV), the MPAA demands every

receiver must have, and obey, their broadcast flag. For new

radio technologies, the RIAA will restrict you to recording

radio shows for a minimum of 30 minutes, for a maximum of 50

hours.  And all analog to digital video conversions will be

forced to watch for, and obey, a concealed signal, refusing

to digitize any image that contains a key watermark.

If any one of these provisions passes, it would be disaster

for you and for innovation.

Visit our Action Center, and warn your representative of what

Hollywood's horror bills would do to the digital future!

< http://action.eff.org/site/Advocacy?id=181 >

I'm convinced none of this stuff will fly. It's a case of old-school execs that still use typewriters trying to get a handle on all of the technology that's come out in the last ten years or so.

Schools have the same problem in my opinion. They're trying very hard to integrate computers into the classroom and all that, but they still haven't figured out quite how to do it right.

Same concept. They're attacking the medium and not the problem. Hell, a lot of people I knew that used to "steal" music have stopped. Not out of fear, but out of realization that they *are* stealing something. Put that money into education and information and they'll see online trading and whatnot shrink to an acceptable level.

On a more personal note, with Ashlee Simpson topping the charts, it's no wonder people justify ripping the crap off.

Hell, a lot of people I knew that used to "steal" music have stopped. Not out of fear, but out of realization that they *are* stealing something.

I believe it's stealing, but I also believe they're getting out of hand in the methods they're pursuing.

Though there's no mention of it in the EULA, and Sony is on record denying it, apparently their player does in fact "phone home."

Sony's DRM software called spyware by antivirus vendor,

More on Sony: Dangerous Decloaking Patch, EULAs and Phoning Home

I believe it's stealing, but I also believe they're getting out of hand in the methods they're pursuing.

Though there's no mention of it in the EULA, and Sony is on record denying it, apparently their player does in fact "phone home."

Sony's DRM software called spyware by antivirus vendor,

More on Sony: Dangerous Decloaking Patch, EULAs and Phoning Home

495813[/snapback]

Oh right, fully. I don't condone anything they're doing and I believe the entire entertainment industry is a bit out of line.

My point is I don't think any of their tactics will last. Am I worried? Sure. They can do a lot of damage trying to hit the bull's eye by just shooting in the general direction. In the long run, however, none of these methods will stick as technology progresses and new delivery methods come into existence.

The most important thing now would be to make sure they understand that consumers won't stand for over-bearing enforcement (from a non governmental agency, no less) independent of delivery method.

Hell, as people that grew up with this stuff start stepping into positions of greater and greater power, we'll see a downturn as well.

The most important thing now would be to make sure they understand that consumers won't stand for over-bearing enforcement (from a non governmental agency, no less) independent of delivery method.

So I'm assuming you clicked on the link to send your representatives a message? :)

CW