Riots in Paris

BB27

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd like her, but Lana would get jealous. You ever try the movie we talked about?

495919[/snapback]

You know, it's a rare occurance where Netflix pisses me off.....but seems like whatever horror flick I put at the top of my queue lately ends up on a damn "short wait" and doesn't get sent out. I know it's cause it's Halloween, but this is ridiculous! I still have the Changeling in one of the top positions, and supposedly they FINALLY sent me "saw" yesterday.....so hopefully this week I'll get to see Changeling.....I can't believe I've never heard of it, but you're right ....the ratings are very strong from people who've seen it!

You know, it's a rare occurance where Netflix pisses me off.....but seems like whatever horror flick I put at the top of my queue lately ends up on a damn "short wait" and doesn't get sent out. I know it's cause it's Halloween, but this is ridiculous!  I still have the Changeling in one of the top positions, and supposedly they FINALLY sent me "saw" yesterday.....so hopefully this week I'll get to see Changeling.....I can't believe I've never heard of it, but you're right ....the ratings are very strong from people who've seen it!

495920[/snapback]

We just hijacked a thread. Isn't it fun?

Seriously, I looked at a lot of the nominees. This is NOT a "visual impact in terms of special effects" movie. It is a classic ghost story. A lot of people here would turn it off after the first 30 minutes. I don't think you will, though.

We just hijacked a thread. Isn't it fun?

Seriously, I looked at a lot of the nominees. This is NOT a "visual impact in terms of special effects" movie. It is a classic ghost story. A lot of people here would turn it off after the first 30 minutes. I don't think you will, though.

495923[/snapback]

muah ha ha :)

No, I think you're right......What really appeals to me is the psychological aspect of a horror flick. To me, that is MUCH more scary than any special effect. That was the brilliance of the Blair Witch, in my opinion. Unfortunately my first viewing of that was ruined by some loud obnoxious teenagers, but even though I knew what was going to happen, the second time I saw it was very effective. No special effects, no real budget to speak of.....no name actors.....it was brilliant. As for Changeling, I'll watch anything with George C. Scott :flirt:

muah ha ha  :)

No, I think you're right......What really appeals to me is the psychological aspect of a horror flick. To me, that is MUCH more scary than any special effect. That was the brilliance of the Blair Witch, in my opinion. Unfortunately my first viewing of that was ruined by some loud obnoxious teenagers, but even though I knew what was going to happen, the second time I saw it was very effective. No special effects, no real budget to speak of.....no name actors.....it was brilliant. As for Changeling, I'll watch anything with George C. Scott :flirt:

495924[/snapback]

Not my favorite movie of all time, but something you don't see every day. One has to think, and that's not what movies are about anymore. People don't watch movies to think and appreciate. They watch them to see cool stuff.

Not my favorite movie of all time, but something you don't see every day. One has to think, and that's not what movies are about anymore. People don't watch movies to think and appreciate. They watch them to see cool stuff.

495925[/snapback]

Completely agree.....I've really come to resent the big budget Hollywood "blockbuster" in most cases. Sometimes they end up being excellent films, but how many times do you see a crap film with a MASSIVE marketing budget? It happens way too often.....they "trick" people into the theaters with a catchy trailer just to make their quick hit on opening day before everyone realizes how crappy the film really is.....and they laugh all the way to the bank while at the same time planning the next crap film. :)

Okay, I'll stop now ....lol

Portland is a GREAT town. One of the better kept secrets of New Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!).

495912[/snapback]

I travel through there every few months on the way further into Maine. Usually, it's at about 3 a.m. and it's low tide and if it's summer especially, it smells something fierce. I guess you can get used to it tho. It is a nice, just-big-enough city.

As far as the events in France, they'll be dealt with, but I am a little surprised things got that out of hand. The police over there really can be mean bastids. They're probably a little reluctant to go all-out on the rioters b/c of the comparisons it would draw to '68 and to avoid that muck being raised again. They've got problems with the economy and race there, and often they intersect; France isn't alone with this problem by far.

My high school French teacher was there in '68, doing grad school and living in the banlieus b/c he didn't have much money.... Cops just beat people; they say a couple thousand people drowned in the Seine after being thrown in by them -- no official numbers on that. So, he went out one night b/c he just decided he had to get out of there. A cop started toward him with a billy club, he said "Suis American" (which was like saying, "Touch me and you're going to have the entire U.S. Embassy crammed up your ---.") and the guy still didn't back off very fast.

But yes. Most people there, just like most people everywhere in the world, are just trying to get through the day and earn enough currency to feed and house their families. From reading the PPP board, you'd swear that everyone who lives outside of U.S. borders spends their entire life shopping for the best prices on AK-47s and practicing their MUWAHAHAHAHAHAs.

I travel through there every few months on the way further into Maine. Usually, it's at about 3 a.m. and it's low tide and if it's summer especially, it smells something fierce. I guess you can get used to it tho. It is a nice, just-big-enough city.

As far as the events in France, they'll be dealt with, but I am a little surprised things got that out of hand. The police over there really can be mean bastids. They're probably a little reluctant to go all-out on the rioters b/c of the comparisons it would draw to '68 and to avoid that muck being raised again. They've got problems with the economy and race there, and often they intersect; France isn't alone with this problem by far.

My high school French teacher was there in '68, doing grad school and living in the banlieus b/c he didn't have much money.... Cops just beat people; they say a couple thousand people drowned in the Seine after being thrown in by them -- no official numbers on that. So, he went out one night b/c he just decided he had to get out of there. A cop started toward him with a billy club, he said "Suis American" (which was like saying, "Touch me and you're going to have the entire U.S. Embassy crammed up your ---.") and the guy still didn't back off very fast.

But yes. Most people there, just like most people everywhere in the world, are just trying to get through the day and earn enough currency to feed and house their families. From reading the PPP board, you'd swear that everyone who lives outside of U.S. borders spends their entire life shopping for the best prices on AK-47s and practicing their MUWAHAHAHAHAHAs.

495928[/snapback]

I usually get a good deal at AMMU-NATION

Oh please.  Don't turn this into a France vs America debate. ....Seriously France is a sh*thole. 

Quick Story:

A fellow co-worker just returned from France.  She hated it.  She remarked how cramped, dirty, and old most of the building are. 

She had friends that she stayed with.  The elevator she had to take up to the flat/apartment/shoe box was 3 feet by 3 feet.  The main bed was a twin bed (very typical) .There was no room anywhere.  Most middle-class folks live like this!Taxes are INSANE - 55-60%.  People were god awful to her and her boyfriend because they were American.  Someone remarked to her that she should go back where that "killer" runs her country...

For reasons beyond my comprehension the French *HATE* us.  Same thing with a good chunk of Canada. 

I don't understand it.

Maybe envy?

495303[/snapback]

Unemployment is almost 11%, enough said!

495932[/snapback]

it is like that all over Europe, a result of implementing one Monetary Policy for 10+ countries with different business cycles. Most Economists predict that the European Union Monetary System will collapse because of this.

495932[/snapback]

That actually is a nuance in how they calculate it. If it were going by the same way it's done here, the number would be pretty comparable ~6-7 percent. But it is concentrated in the outskirts....

The snobbery is mostly in the big cities. Like everywhere else, you get out into the smaller towns and the people are generally very nice.

You know what i’m thinking ? We approach the end of the year and it’s been 10 years since the last general strike!

I think/guess/hope our Sarkozy cowboy will be beheaded soon, and then we could have a new “May 1968”! It would be great!!!

From a note I got from my friend today. They don't like stuff any more than we do. Everyone has to live with it.

I spent a few years in Portland in the late eighties. There were not too many good paying jobs there except for LL bean up north and SD Warren.

Talk about ugly Americans, there is nothing worse then spending a summer around Portland beaches and seeing it being invaded by all the fat French Canadians wearing their thong like Speedos. That’s just plain ugly! :)

That actually is a nuance in how they calculate it. If it were going by the same way it's done here, the number would be pretty comparable ~6-7 percent. But it is concentrated in the outskirts....

The snobbery is mostly in the big cities. Like everywhere else, you get out into the smaller towns and the people are generally very nice.

495934[/snapback]

No actually, he is correct, Unemployment in Europe in general is very high and that is because unions have much more power there than they have here. I have always debated returning to Europe one day to finish my education and to work but the cost of living is high and it is very difficult to find a good job. We have it good in North America

Germany is in some really bad shape, right now.

495939[/snapback]

and if they were not part of the EU, they could just lower interest rates and everything would be fine, but that might cause inflation in some EU countries that are experiencing high inflation. This is why most analysts predict the crash of the EU.

I travel through there every few months on the way further into Maine. Usually, it's at about 3 a.m. and it's low tide and if it's summer especially, it smells something fierce. I guess you can get used to it tho. It is a nice, just-big-enough city.    Casco bay at lowtide, does have a strong sulfur smell ,and a typical flatlander would wrinke his nose....I also like the smell of mollases from the B.M. bean plant....

495928[/snapback]

and if they were not part of the EU, they could just lower interest rates and everything would be fine, but that might cause inflation in some EU countries that are experiencing high inflation.  This is why most analysts predict the crash of the EU.

495942[/snapback]

Germany is horribly caught in their union, government guaranteed nightmare. And as for hanging chards, they have no distinct political leadership right now. You can't give a national population guarantees, and then say...WTF, time out. It's happening here, but because we are so large, the impact is diminished by scale.

Not to go Machiavellian, but going back to original thoughts - the EU is ripe for picking, for someone with an agenda. Has anyone here bothered to look at European export restrictions or immigration rules since the Soviet Union went south?

Didn't think so. It's enlightening.