Was Coughlin’s reputation the reason

Mikie2times

I'm not calling for MM's head or anything, but considering GW was a first time coach, and big miss by TD, I wonder why TD would take another risk by picking another first year guy, over the experienced Coughlin.

We know of the power struggle that went on in Pittsburgh, and I that might of played a roll in us passing on Coughlin. Coighlins seems like a guy that wants to run the show so to speak, and certainly would like a large role in the personnel department. He's turned around the Giants in a year, and handled the same QB situation this team is in much better then TD/MM.

This team appears soft, and at times has been coddled. We talk a ton and don’t back it up, we have players leaking information threw the media, and we just don't appear to be a mentally strong football team. Perhaps a coach like Coughlin would have forced a player coo, but if so are these the type of players we want on this team? A disciplinarian like Coughlin just seems like he could bring a much needed dimension to the Bills, and had a great resume, with an offensive mind. I think these types of coaches really turn TD off after what happened in Pittsburgh, and that probably has a lot to do with him rolling the dice with MM.

Coughlin's 1st choice was always the Giants and unless the Giants turned him down, he wasn't about to come to Buffalo.  I'm pretty sure he had a deal done with the Giants before Mularkey was named Bills coach.

494876[/snapback]

If that’s the case then I guess it didn't matter if TD liked him or not. I seem to remember him getting an interview with Buffalo before the Giants deal, I could be wrong on that, but if that’s the case I know we never offered Coughlin a deal to compete with NY. Now if Coughlin stated even before any other interviews he wanted to coach the Giants then none of this really matters anyway, however I still think the logic surrounding TD and head coaches is sound. TD's reservation of a potential power struggle has to play some role in who he wants as coach

The way I remember it and I'm not exactaly sure but we had an interview scheduled with Coughlin and the next day he was suppouse to go interview for the giants job, however I believe the giants got coughlin on a plane to NYC before he ever even interviewed here, and the rest is history. Now like I said I don't really remember how the hole thing went just bits and pieces of reading kffl back then to see who we had interviews scheduled with.

Besides, Ralph would never pony up $3 Million/year for a head coach...

494889[/snapback]

Bingo.

No salary cap on coaching means there will still be a separation between teams in the league. And with the salary cap era making teams more mediocre across the board, coaching has become maybe the #1 factor. Bills will NEVER land a high profile coach. The Bills coach, like Marv, will have to make himself high profile.

Hindsight makes Coughlin the obvious choice now. 

PTR

495548[/snapback]

No it doesn't. Half a good season doesn't make him an obvious choice in hindsight. I wouldn't let that POS douchebag use my toilet. His team is winning right now...wanna bet he doesn't go far into the playoffs? This guy is NOT a great coach. My guess is he will do something incredibly stupid and the team wll impload. Of course, I might be wrong.

Guest BackInDaDay
Hindsight makes Coughlin the obvious choice now.  But try to remember at the time, Coughlin had an entire team quit on him in Jacksonville.  He was no slam dunk choice.

PTR

495548[/snapback]

You're absolutely correct. By the time he began handing out fines for being on time ( but not Coughlin time :flirt: ) for meetings, most of us were happy he wasn't our HC. BTW, is our old punching bag Killdrive still Eli's coach? If he is, I've got to give him props. I use to kill the guy on this board. :)

BTW, is our old punching bag Killdrive still Eli's coach?  If he is, I've got to give him props.  I use to kill the guy on this board.  :)

As ONLY a QB coach, Killdrive is excellent. It's when he tries to be an OC +/- a QB coach that he fails miserably. I wouldn't have minded the Bills keeping him as a QB coach (or Gregg Williams as a DC, or Wade Phillips as a DC) but that was never going to happen.

I'm not calling for MM's head or anything, but considering GW was a first time coach, and big miss by TD, I wonder why TD would take another risk by picking another first year guy, over the experienced Coughlin. 

We know of the power struggle that went on in Pittsburgh, and I that might of played a roll in us passing on Coughlin.  Coighlins seems like a guy that wants to run the show so to speak, and certainly would like a large role in the personnel department. He's turned around the Giants in a year, and handled the same QB situation this team is in much better then TD/MM.   

This team appears soft, and at times has been coddled.  We talk a ton and don’t back it up, we have players leaking information threw the media, and we just don't appear to be a mentally strong football team.  Perhaps a coach like Coughlin would have forced a player coo, but if so are these the type of players we want on this team? A disciplinarian like Coughlin just seems like he could bring a much needed dimension to the Bills, and had a great resume, with an offensive mind. I think these types of coaches really turn TD off after what happened in Pittsburgh, and that probably has a lot to do with him rolling the dice with MM.

494828[/snapback]

I think Albany, NY got it exactly right. Coughlin did not want to return to Upstate NY. He was after the Jints job all along.

Most of us would agree that this team is too soft and that would include the head of the Offensive Coordinator.

Good coordinators can and do become good head coaches, but it takes time. TD never has hired an experienced HC. Muskie-jaw'ed Chowder was a coordinator in P'burg and he's developed (it kills me to say it 'cause I just don't like the guy) into a very good HC. Time will tell if there are enough elements assembled here for Mularkey to have a decent shot at developing into a good HC too. I think he's got it in him, but Buffalo seems to be reverting to the coaching graveyard it was in days gone by. :)

Guest BackInDaDay
Time will tell if there are enough elements assembled here for Mularkey to have a decent shot at developing into a good HC too. I think he's got it in him, but Buffalo seems to be reverting to the coaching graveyard it was in days gone by.  ;)

495729[/snapback]

Watch where you step...

Coaching History

Years Coach Record

2004-present Mike Mularkey 9-7-0

2001-2003 Gregg Williams 17-31-0

1998-2000 Wade Phillips 29-21-0

1986-1997 Marv Levy 123-78-0

1985-1986 Hank Bullough 4-17-0

1983-1985 Kay Stephenson 10-26-0

1978-1982 Chuck Knox 38-38-0

1976-1977 Jim Ringo 3-20-0

1972-1976 Lou Saban 32-29-1

1971 Harvey Johnson 1-13-0

1969-1970 John Rauch 7-20-1

1968 Harvey Johnson 1-10-1

1966-1968 Joe Collier 13-17-1

1962-1965 Lou Saban 38-18-3

1960-1961 Buster Ramsey 11-16-1

(taken from CBS Sportsline's web-site)

Even with Levy's 11 years they average 3 seasons each. :)

I'm about to make history by using the words stability, coach and Buffalo Bills in the same sentence. Done! :flirt: