What does it say about us that Ashley Simpson

Tux of Borg

I do believe this remains one of history's greatest wonder. Everyone loves looking at her sister but what the hell does that have to do with Ashlee? I'm guessing, younger sisters, that are kinda fugly, with low self esteem and are always trying to fill big sis's C-cups must be the ones buying this crap. :lol:

Did everyone forget that she cant sing? That she lipsynced on SNL and made up all these lame excuses. That she STUNK it up at the Orange Bowl and got BOOED off the stage? Who is buying these albums... And why?

494321[/snapback]

I think it's more of a comment on the music business. Kids are buying songs from I-tunes or outright stealing them via shareware networks. I'm guess the sales are moms buying the CDs for their non-computer savvy 7-year old daughters.

When I was 7, my dad was buying albums for me. On consecutive weeks, he came home with Kiss: Alive II and Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell. Remember those album covers? Imagine giving those to your 7-year old son. Dad just wanted me to be interested in music.

Give the current 8-16 year olds about five years and they will discover that Ashlee Reflux has no talent, become embarrassed about having listened to and loved her jibberish and deny ever having been devoted to her. Ashley Reflux can then go back to the couch and remember the good ol' days.

Because the 8-16 year old market is actually pretty large, they have $$$, and they are the ones that are buying it up....

Because MTV tells them it's cool...

Which is cool.....

494434[/snapback]

Exactly. Ashlee is a big hit with my 11 yo niece and her friends and they buy music. Think about it. How many new CDs did you buy in the last year? (That's zero for me). If you walk into a Sam Goody, everyone in the store is under 18.

This is all due to the phonemenon referred to by sociologists as the "Bon Jovi Principle." Basically, the dumbest portion of a given culture will be hijacked by the corporate happy meal, hot-pocket pap machine. It can be seen as a valuable sociological device in that it keeps the dull normals occupied with harmless activities and confined in easily recognizable pockets of low-grade idiot behavior.

It is advisable for discerning, free-thinking individuals to disregard the entire moronic business.

:lol:

Did everyone forget that she cant sing? That she lipsynced on SNL and made up all these lame excuses. That she STUNK it up at the Orange Bowl and got BOOED off the stage? Who is buying these albums... And why?

494321[/snapback]

While agree with your assessment, they ALL (well, almost all) lipsync on SNL (or did til Ashley got caught) and ALL (every last one of them) stick it up as football entertainment.

Zero for me too.  But I buy plenty of DVD's.

Mike

494775[/snapback]

I bought four, none of them from bands most people have heard of:

Shadow Gallery: Room V (awesome!)

Dream Theater: Octavarium

Ayreon: The Human Equation

Ayreon: Universal Migrator

I spent $161 on DVDs this year (down from $688 that I spent last year since I didn't get to watch most of the ones I bought last year...) :blink:

CW

Exactly.  Ashlee is a big hit with my 11 yo niece and her friends and they buy music.  Think about it.  How many new CDs did you buy in the last year?  (That's zero for me).  If you walk into a Sam Goody, everyone in the store is under 18.

494453[/snapback]

Mark Knopfler

Bob Dylan

Jimmie Cliff

Van Morrison

Grateful Dead

Tim McGraw

Carlos Santana

Lee Ann Womack

Harry Connick Jr

Bela Fleck

...that is just off the top of my head (ain't nothin else up there.) ;)

Quick anecdote. The wife is a city girl. Born and raised in Rochacha.

I was trying to tell her that Tim McGraw was "country" not just pop. She could not accept that she loved his music if he was country. I tried to argue my point, but obviously the dummer sex was wrong so I shut up. I just dropped it - no sense arguing over dinner, as his music played in the background.

After one song I asked her if city folk used phases like "permanent hitch in my git-a-long" and ducked a spoonful of lasagna hurled at my head. :D

Now at least I have her convinced the music they play at "The Roost" is country disco, not country.

I miss watching them dance the Tennesse Two Step. :huh:

Another quick anecdote:

I can't remember people's names to save my life, because my mind is filled with trivia. Case in point. A friend and me are listening to 3Wk - underground classic streaming audio. This song comes on and he asks who it is. My reply: John Entwhistle, former bassist for the Who, deceased, song is Ten Little Friends off Whistle Rhymes, his second solo LP. At least I think it was his second because he did Smash your Head Against the Wall. Whistle Rhymes and THEN Mad Dog (I think)

So the next time I see you at a tailgate and do not remember your name, remind yourself that somebody has to retain this kind of stuff for posterity! :blink:

Simpson will go the route of Hansen and NKOTB, as even (gasp):

? and the Mysterians and Bubble Puppy. :P

I call it the "Vanilla Ice Syndrome". Who the hell didn't buy that POS album 15 years ago? Who didn't throw it out two months after they bought it? America's Landfills are filled with Albums, Tapes and CD's of crap music bought by people who didn't know any better at the time. Same thing is going on today, just the names are different.

Parents bought their kids Tiffany, New Kids on the Block , MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice albums while buying themselves Barbara Streisand, Barry Manilow and Anne Murray albums. Those kids are now buying their kids Ashlee Simpson and Britney Spears CD's and themselves Rod Stewart and Celine Dion CD's. It is a never ending cycle of stupid people buying crappy music because everyone else is.

My personal tastes go more towards Barenaked Ladies and The Tragically Hip.

I also like Chicago (esp. their older stuff). And most 80's music.

I guess I'm not exempt from the Bon Jovi Principle then. :blink:

Waiter, a serving of Crap all the way around.

Mike

I call it the "Vanilla Ice Syndrome". Who the hell didn't buy that POS album 15 years ago? Who didn't throw it out two months after they bought it? America's Landfills are filled with Albums, Tapes and CD's of crap music bought by people who didn't know any better at the time. Same thing is going on today, just the names are different.

Parents bought their kids Tiffany, New Kids on the Block , MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice albums while buying themselves Barbara Streisand, Barry Manilow and Anne Murray albums. Those kids are now buying their kids Ashlee Simpson and Britney Spears CD's and themselves Rod Stewart and Celine Dion CD's. It is a never ending cycle of stupid people buying crappy music because everyone else is.

494906[/snapback]

My kids were of the "Ice Ice Baby" era, but I was not of the "Barbara Streisand, Barry Manilow and Anne Murray" crowd. I almost got into a fight in a bar playing BeeGees, with hair over my shoulders and my DISCO SUCKS shirt on. :blink: