The 2006 Bills Offensive Line

Mikie2times

Consider the interior protection problems we have had recently and also that Duke Preston has only played guard this season. The line looks bad but I think we can put together a solid group with depth with only one "major" upgrade, and a few draft picks.

LeCharles Bentley of the Saints is available this off-season (if he is yet to resign). He is one of the leagues best young offensive lineman, and being that he plays the Center position he should come cheaper then top Guards and Tackles.  This move would really sure up the interior, and allow Duke to play the same position he has this year. It would also give us much better depth then we had in recent years with most backups having several starts under their belt. 

How does this look for 2006

LT Jason Peters/Mike Gandy

LG Duke Preston/ Bennie Anderson

C: LeCharles Bentley/ Draft

RG: Chris V/ Bennie/Draft 

RT: Mike Williams/ Mike Gandy/ Draft

The draft picks can be used to grab a back up center, or eventual replacements for Mike Williams and Chris V.

Thoughts?

493537[/snapback]

I like what you have there but I don't think Peters could play LT, I think he'd be better playing RT. One of these days I'd like to see Mike Williams switch over to LT. Hopefully we can get Bentley.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see plenty of people suggesting Duke should take over at Teague’s spot. That probably will be what happens but I just wanted to take advantage of Bentley being available with this prediction.

We have problems at guard, and Duke has looked very competent at that spot as a rookie. I think Duke would also make a good Center next year, but I would like to see the Bills take a bigger step forward with the interior line then simply shifting in Duke for Teague. A player like Bentley really expands our options, and gives us a very formidable interior. Who knows if he will still be available, but that’s why this is just a prediction.

I see plenty of people suggesting Duke should take over at Teague’s spot. That probably will be what happens but I just wanted to take advantage of Bentley being available with this prediction. 

We have problems at guard, and Duke has looked very competent at that spot as a rookie.  I think Duke would also make a good Center next year, but I would like to see the Bills take a bigger step forward with the interior line then simply shifting in Duke for Teague.  A player like Bentley really expands our options, and gives us a very formidable interior. Who knows if he will still be available, but that’s why this is just a prediction.

494830[/snapback]

I'll agree that Preston gets the chance to prove himself at Center no later than training camp '06.

You might find this interesting too: Commentary from Paul Hamilton

"As far as the offensive line goes, Donahoe couldn't stand an independent thinker and a man that spoke the truth in his lockerroom. Ross Tucker couldn't be controlled so he was released. (Nanker's edit - neither could Ruben - and lots of fans including myself ripped Brown for not shutting up and playing. Mea culpa... And my apologies to RB.) Bennie Anderson is a complete bust. He's adequate on the run, but he's going to get Kelly Holcomb or J.P. Losman killed one of these Sunday's. Tucker was twice the football player Anderson is and Tucker is just an average offensive lineman. Jason Peters got his first NFL start at RT Sunday Night and seemed to play well. With two weeks to heel, Mike Williams should be able to return. Mike Gandy has been average at best at LT. During these two weeks I would move Peters to LT and move Gandy to LG sending Anderson to the bench. It can't be any worse than what we've seen."

You being serious?

494863[/snapback]

I sure am- now I'm not saying that any move of this type is infallible, but he was a very agile left tackle in Denver, and I think he'd be a great blocking TE, who might be athletic enough to do damage in the passing game sometimes

I sure am- now I'm not saying that any move of this type is infallible, but he was a very agile left tackle in Denver, and I think he'd be a great blocking TE, who might be athletic enough to do damage in the passing game sometimes

494879[/snapback]

I think he would be a great blocking TE, but who knows if he has enough hands to threaten a defense. Besides he's a FA this offseason and I doubt he takes enough of a pay cut to become a back up blocking TE for Buffalo.

IMO, it will look something like this:

LT-Peters

LG-Draft pick, or Gandy(Anderson is terrible, I don't see how TD can get away with bringing him back as a starter again next year)

C-Preston

RG-Villarrial

RT-Williams

I like Peters A LOT, and believe he is something special.

Gandy is much better suited for a Guard, and will make for a pretty good one.

494893[/snapback]

The Bears tried Gandy at both guard and tackle. Gandy does not play with power and gets pushed around at OG. Gandy is a marginal, street-level talent, and no long term answer to OLT or OG, or anything...

The Bears tried Gandy at both guard and tackle. Gandy does not play with power and gets pushed around at OG. Gandy is a marginal, street-level talent, and no long term answer to OLT or OG, or anything...

I agree, but Gandy would be a great backup T, kind of like Marcus Price.

LaDarius, do you believe that Geisinger could be ready to take over the LG spot next season or do we need someone else there?

I agree, but Gandy would be a great backup T, kind of like Marcus Price.

LaDarius, do you believe that Geisinger could be ready to take over the LG spot next season or do we need someone else there?

495169[/snapback]

I think if Justin started now there would be 2 or 3 games where Justin would struggle and then he would be a fine OLG for years. At some point, the Bills should take that plunge and do it, because Bennie is a certified disaster and Geisinger has tremendous upside. Justin cannot learn on the bench. In fact, I'd like to see this OL as soon as it is clear the Bills are out of the playoffs:

LT - Peters

LG - Geisinger

C - Preston

RG - CV

RT - Mike

Let Peters, Justin and Duke get in there and learn how to work as a unit. The Bills have two good blocking TEs to weld to Peters outside hip to help the QB survive. Start that OL for the final four+ games and 2006 will look a lot better...

LT - Peters

LG - Geisinger

C - Preston

RG - CV

RT - Mike

Let Peters, Justin and Duke get in there and learn how to work as a unit. The Bills have two good blocking TEs to weld to Peters outside hip to help the QB survive. Start that OL for the final four+ games and 2006 will look a lot better...

As long as Peters can play LT, thats about how I see our line developing as well.