The 2006 Bills Offensive Line

Mikie2times

Consider the interior protection problems we have had recently and also that Duke Preston has only played guard this season. The line looks bad but I think we can put together a solid group with depth with only one "major" upgrade, and a few draft picks.

LeCharles Bentley of the Saints is available this off-season (if he is yet to resign). He is one of the leagues best young offensive lineman, and being that he plays the Center position he should come cheaper then top Guards and Tackles. This move would really sure up the interior, and allow Duke to play the same position he has this year. It would also give us much better depth then we had in recent years with most backups having several starts under their belt.

How does this look for 2006

LT Jason Peters/Mike Gandy

LG Duke Preston/ Bennie Anderson

C: LeCharles Bentley/ Draft

RG: Chris V/ Bennie/Draft

RT: Mike Williams/ Mike Gandy/ Draft

The draft picks can be used to grab a back up center, or eventual replacements for Mike Williams and Chris V.

Thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a loyal Ohio St. fan, I'd take Bentley in a minute. He is mega strong and can hold the middle. Was pissed when we passed on him.

Gandy has proven himself to be a good backup type at both Guard and Tackle. I wouldn't pass on a LT in THIS upcoming draft. I haven't seen so many good candidates in 20 years. Peters is a project with a wonderlic score of 7. He can still be used as a situational player at OL/TE and ST's freak.

Goodbye Teague. If no Bentley, Preston will probably get his shot. Signing or drafting a Center might be a good idea but we need 2 new Guards. Chris V. has played poorly since last year and now is fighting injuries on a weekly basis. Anderson goes without saying.

The OL and DT spots should be our primary focus this coming off-season.

The primary reason this OLine sucks is we're paying Mike Williams twice what he's worth.

That is a blunder of huge proportions. He makes too much money. (period)

So, do we "make" him play Left Tackle? Hah! No, of course not - he's not trained to play in that position. He'd be a disastard there.

Somewhere Jason Peters is just shaking his head, and Ross Tucker is laughing.

LT - Jerry Crafts

LG - Viktor Allotey

C - Benjamin Sowbeeski

RG - Joe 3 Dollar Steak and Eggs Panos

RT - Kris Farris

:)

493551[/snapback]

OK. I'll sign on for that right now. Just as long as you'll give me Pucillo as the utility backup at all positions! <_<

Consider the interior protection problems we have had recently and also that Duke Preston has only played guard this season. The line looks bad but I think we can put together a solid group with depth with only one "major" upgrade, and a few draft picks.

LeCharles Bentley of the Saints is available this off-season (if he is yet to resign). He is one of the leagues best young offensive lineman, and being that he plays the Center position he should come cheaper then top Guards and Tackles.  This move would really sure up the interior, and allow Duke to play the same position he has this year. It would also give us much better depth then we had in recent years with most backups having several starts under their belt. 

The draft picks can be used to grab a back up center, or eventual replacements for Mike Williams and Chris V.

Thoughts?

493537[/snapback]

Bentley is a pretty solid interior lineman; certainly better than what we've got now. Thing is, the Saints' OL has been underachieving all season (gave up another 6 sacks last week), and many people seem to believe that Bentley isn't worth signing to a huge salary. I've read and heard things from Saints fans about how they feel RT Jammal Brown, their first round pick this year, is actually the putting forth the best effort this season of all the linemen. LT Wayne Gandy, LG Kendyl Jacox, and RG Jermaine Mayberry have just been getting blasted as being awful this season for the Saints.

As a loyal Ohio St. fan, I'd take Bentley in a minute. He is mega strong and can hold the middle. Was pissed when we passed on him.

Gandy has proven himself to be a good backup type at both Guard and Tackle. I wouldn't pass on a LT in THIS upcoming draft. I haven't seen so many good candidates in 20 years. Peters is a project with a wonderlic score of 7. He can still be used as a situational player at OL/TE and ST's freak. 

Goodbye Teague. If no Bentley, Preston will probably get his shot. Signing or drafting a Center might be a good idea but we need 2 new Guards. Chris V. has played poorly since last year and now is fighting injuries on a weekly basis. Anderson goes without saying.

The OL and DT spots should be our primary focus this coming off-season.

493544[/snapback]

The draft is stock full of LT's but the FA market is paper thin at DT. Both lines could really use the first pick, but in terms of FA's I just see us being able to do more with the offensive line then defensive line. If Chris Villerial is out of the picture you could alter the line to look like this

LT: Peters

LG: Gandy

C: Bentley

RG: Duke

RT Big Mike

That would keep the Duke playing the RG position which he has played this year, and Gandy could move to the LG position, which many prognosticators feel is his natural position anyway.

After watching a very green Jason Peters on Sunday my feelings are we must be able to get this talented and cost effective of a player into the lineup. He seems to have the LT footwork, and agility, and his price really offsets the ungodly amount Mike Williams is making. I agree that he still has a long way to go, but due to his cost effectiveness, and potential, I would atleast like to see him get some time at LT this season.

Another positive of this setup is the line being comprised of younger players. If these 5 guys ended up being a talented group we would have the benefit of them being able to play together for awhile.

LT - Jerry Crafts

LG - Viktor Allotey

C - Benjamin Sowbeeski

RG - Joe 3 Dollar Steak and Eggs Panos

RT - Kris Farris

:)

493551[/snapback]

Did you mean to spell it 'Ben Sobruschi'...? You know, the guy who had been on college IR for 2 years and now pro IR for 3 straight years but who is on the brink of making a huge comeback in 2006??? Can you just hear the Nickelback song playing in the background right now? I can.

Oh, BTW you left out Jamie Nails, Marcus Spriggs, Corey Louchiey, Robert Hicks, and of course, Mike Rockwood. What gives, man?

What we need to do is release that fat waste of cap space Mike Williams, one of the worst draft pix in bills history.

Then we can use our high draft pick on a dt/ol (an o lineman who isn't too fat to pass protect and too soft to run block)

Leftover money will be used to either franchise Clements or get better o line players.

One of the main reasons that our QB situation has been so bad for the last few years is that we are paying a mediocre player at right tackle superstar money. This takes away from the availible budget for the rest of the line. Hence the bargain basement left side.

What we need to do is release that fat waste of cap space Mike Williams, one of the worst draft pix in bills history.

Then we can use our high draft pick on a dt/ol (an o lineman who isn't too fat to pass protect and too soft to run block)

Leftover money will be used to either franchise Clements or get better o line players.

One of the main reasons that our QB situation has been so bad for the last few years is that we are paying a mediocre player at right tackle superstar money.  This takes away from the availible budget for the rest of the line.  Hence the bargain basement left side.

493829[/snapback]

Clumping Platelets can correct me on this one, but I'm pretty sure the cap hit if we cut Williams is very high, so high that it makes him nearly uncutable. He is the resident salary cap expert and I seem to recall him saying this in several posts.

No doubt it's a mistake paying a RT that much money, but when healthy Williams is still the best RT we have by a long shot. Considering these factors I just don't see TD cutting his number 4 pick anytime soon.

Clumping Platelets can correct me on this one, but I'm pretty sure the cap hit if we cut Williams is very high, so high that it makes him nearly uncutable. He is the resident salary cap expert and I seem to recall him saying this in several posts. 

No doubt it's a mistake paying a RT that much money, but when healthy Williams is still the best RT we have by a long shot.  Considering these factors I just don't see TD cutting his number 4 pick anytime soon.

493842[/snapback]

I agree with this post. We cannot chase away every non-superstar player on the team. I would like to see MW re-structure to a cheaper (cap-friendly, less total $$) contract and continue to play RT. Dumping players every year does us no good as we continually wait for the line to gel.

LeCharles Bentley of the Saints is available this off-season (if he is yet to resign). He is one of the leagues best young offensive lineman, and being that he plays the Center position he should come cheaper then top Guards and Tackles.  This move would really sure up the interior, and allow Duke to play the same position he has this year. It would also give us much better depth then we had in recent years with most backups having several starts under their belt. 

Thoughts?

493537[/snapback]

Aren't we all being somewhat premature in annointing Peters the next great tackle for us. He's played one game against a banged up New England defense so far.

The primary reason this OLine sucks is we're paying Mike Williams twice what he's worth.

That is a blunder of huge proportions. He makes too much money. (period)

So, do we "make" him play Left Tackle? Hah! No, of course not - he's not trained to play in that position. He'd be a disastard there.

Somewhere Jason Peters is just shaking his head, and Ross Tucker is laughing.

493549[/snapback]

I'm missing something here. Does Williams' paycheck get in TT's way when he tries to block? Perhaps if Mike made less $, Bennie would be a better player...is that what you're getting at?

Or do you think there's a cap on the OL salary?

Perhaps you're highjacking the thread, ignoring a perfectly resonable post and question to take a shot at MW. Well, I guess I can appreciate the whole cheap-shot thing.

I think the main reason and ovelooked reason as to why the OL is struggling for almost a decade by now is that lacks a true center calling the shots there.

That's why I liked the Preston pick, he should get his shot next year if not this year. It all starts there and the Duke is the man for the job.

Aren't we all being somewhat premature in annointing Peters the next great tackle for us.  He's played one game against a banged up New England defense so far.

493863[/snapback]

It's a future projection so of course it's premature; I just feel that he will eventually develop into a player that can start at LT or RT. It's easy to downgrade his performance based on New England’s situation but at the same time this is a player that has never played a NFL, College, or high school game at either Tackle, yet he held his own.

He makes pennies, and is certainly athletic enough to play LT. I wouldn't call him a book end type at this point, but his future looks bright, and the cap implications for the Bills if he starts would be very beneficial to the rest of the team.

Did you mean to spell it 'Ben Sobruschi'...? You know, the guy who had been on college IR for 2 years and now pro IR for 3 straight years but who is on the brink of making a huge comeback in 2006??? Can you just hear the Nickelback song playing in the background right now? I can.

Oh, BTW you left out Jamie Nails, Marcus Spriggs, Corey Louchiey, Robert Hicks, and of course, Mike Rockwood. What gives, man?

493826[/snapback]

There can only be 5. :lol: I like Nanker saying Pucillo should be in there. Pucillo Chevrolet....replaces Allotey. A-OTAY

:lol:

Nails, Spriggs......those should be backups.

Rockwood....wasn't that Lurch?

Any reason why Big Mike cannot be moved into the Left Tackle spot.

The guy is big and agile....Wouldn't he be able to protect the QB better.

494128[/snapback]

I don't know if Williams can play LT, but if history is any indication I don't think he will ever be a LT at this level. He's big and agile, but he deals with mostly power rushes on the right side. As a LT he would need to deal with much quicker edge rushers, and that just doesn't seem to be his strength.

He was drafted to play LT, paid like a LT, and yet after all this time he still is yet to play the position. Sure Jennings was solid when healthy, and that could partly explain why he is still a RT, but after JJ left the move was never made to switch big Mike over. With all the things that have played out with MW selection, pay, and the surrounding offensive line, I think it would be safe to say a switch would have been made already if the Bills brass ever felt he could do it.