Exchange 2000 crash course

/dev/null

any exchange admins on the board? i have an interview coming up for an junior level exchange admin, and given my name here you can guess the majority of my email admin experience is UNIX based. Just wondering if anyone knew any decent crash course tutorials

any exchange admins on the board?  i have an interview coming up for an junior level exchange admin, and given my name here you can guess the majority of my email admin experience is UNIX based.  Just wondering if anyone knew any decent crash course tutorials

493409[/snapback]

If you're having problems, reboot.

Otherwise, just click a few buttons. How hard can it be?

If you can do Postfix/Sendmail, I can't imagine Exchange would be that tough <_<

CW

Otherwise, just click a few buttons.  How hard can it be?

If you can do Postfix/Sendmail, I can't imagine Exchange would be that tough <_<

CW

493445[/snapback]

Crash courses? Nah. But I just setup the storage arrays for a system meant to handle 1,000,000 Exchange users, and in the process, had to take a couple classes in it. Feel free to PM me and I'll think up what I can.

-Jeff

any exchange admins on the board?  i have an interview coming up for an junior level exchange admin, and given my name here you can guess the majority of my email admin experience is UNIX based.  Just wondering if anyone knew any decent crash course tutorials

493409[/snapback]

Not to be an !@#$ but I have a question. Why are you interviewing for an admin job working with an architecture that you know nothing about? That's like asking an MCSE what the different run levels are in Linux.

To answer your question. There are some good exchange forums on the net. I'm sure most have a sticky thread pointed to good tutorials. One website that comes to mind is slipstick.com. There was also a good compuserve forum (open to the public) that had some good info in it. I can't recall the URL for that off the top of my head.

Good luck!

Not to be an !@#$ but I have a question.  Why are you interviewing for an admin job working with an architecture that you know nothing about?  That's like asking an MCSE what the different run levels are in Linux.

To answer your question.  There are some good exchange forums on the net.  I'm sure most have a sticky thread pointed to good tutorials.  One website that comes to mind is slipstick.com.  There was also a good compuserve forum (open to the public) that had some good info in it.  I can't recall the URL for that off the top of my head.

Good luck!

493606[/snapback]

i know abit about Exchange. I'm well versed in AD, but i don't have much hands on experience with Exchange. I've played around with the trial version of 2003 in the past and know the basics of how to configure AD (forestprep and domainprep), how to create mailboxes and associate them with domain users, how to create a domain user and mailbox at the same time, create contacts, and distro lists, etc

I just want to brush up on what might be asked in an interview. As I said, its a junior level admin so I don't have to be a guru. The recruiter even said that there will be alot of OtJT.

Thanks for links too. I'd been reading stuff on MSExchange.org (think thats the site)

i know abit about Exchange.  I'm well versed in AD, but i don't have much hands on experience with Exchange.  I've played around with the trial version of 2003 in the past and know the basics of how to configure AD (forestprep and domainprep), how to create mailboxes and associate them with domain users, how to create a domain user and mailbox at the same time, create contacts, and distro lists, etc

I just want to brush up on what might be asked in an interview.  As I said, its a junior level admin so I don't have to be a guru.  The recruiter even said that there will be alot of OtJT.

Thanks for links too.  I'd been reading stuff on MSExchange.org (think thats the site)

494127[/snapback]

Not necessarily crash course stuff, but excellent info nonetheless:

Exchange 2K3 Info

As for the interview stuff, I think you should be fine with the info you provided. I would not expect them to quiz you on non day to day stuff like what factors do you take into account in the sizing of storage groups? But then again, I am not interviewing you. Good luck!

Otherwise, just click a few buttons.  How hard can it be?

If you can do Postfix/Sendmail, I can't imagine Exchange would be that tough :lol:

CW

493445[/snapback]

Ha, yah reboot it to fix everything.... I agree, it's not rocket science working on an exchange server.

Since you are interviewing for a junior admin position, you shouldnt be expected to handle the advanced tasks related to exchange. The good news is there are plenty of resources available to handle most of the problem associated with Exchange. In my opinion, the hardest aspect of exchange is related to backup/restore. I have alot of experience with AD and Exchange, and I would be glad to answer any questions. Send me a PM if you need anything....

John