Published!!

Puhonix

Three of my photographs are going to be shown in an art gallery this coming month, and since none of you are going to be in Tallahassee to attend, I thought at the very least I'd show them to you. Also, they want me to list prices for the pieces. I'm going to get them matted and put in nice frames, so the starting cost should be near $30. So if you could give me suggestions, that would help too.

Thanks!

Tesla Light

Grove Interrupted

Claw

Nice dude, congrats. I like the Grove. The big tree looks like Sam Adams clogging up Ronnie Brown's running lane. :lol:

The last time I referenced the "claw," I was using it on some girl in high school, so I was expecting a different photo for that one. :(

Three of my photographs are going to be shown in an art gallery this coming month, and since none of you are going to be in Tallahassee to attend, I thought at the very least I'd show them to you. Also, they want me to list prices for the pieces. I'm going to get them matted and put in nice frames, so the starting cost should be near $30. So if you could give me suggestions, that would help too.

Thanks!

Tesla Light

Grove Interrupted

Claw

492222[/snapback]

$30 is EXTREMELY low for any peice of framed art. Heck, the mat/frame alone probably costs $30.

You could probably ask the gallery what they think a decent price would be since you're not familiar with it. But I can guarantee it's more than $30 -- that's how much crappy WalMart prints cost. :lol:

Nice pictures -- I just bought a DSLR camera (won't get it until mid-Nov ;) ) because I want to play with photography - I now know someone else here to bother with questions :(

CW

Nice pics. Dunno how big the prints are, or what the venue is like, or what the average $ of the other pics is..WO with that said, here is my advice re:pricing:

Charge MORE...maybe 5 or 6 times more. (Or, say, twice the average price of the pics at the gallery.) A higher price will make them seem even better and will create more buzz and mystique.

If I'm wrong, you're out $90...and you still have the pics. You'll sell em somewhere else. If I'm right, you'll have some nice coin in your pocket and you'll have set a higher baseline for your work going forward.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Another photographer with much more experience charges $74 and up. I think the Grove Interrupted could bring in as much as $150. The others I'm going to list at $100 I think.

)

Nice pictures -- I just bought a DSLR camera (won't get it until mid-Nov ;) )  because I want to play with photography - I now know someone else here to bother with questions :(

CW

492249[/snapback]

Now go out and get a Mac so you can make those photos look good! :lol:

Publishers and photographers all say that color printing is much more reliable on a Mac. ColorSync faithfully reproduces colors much better than Windows does. For the amateur, iPhoto recognizes almost all cameras efffortlessly. Plug it into the computer and i Photo pops up asking if you want to download the photos.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Another photographer with much more experience charges $74 and up. I think the Grove Interrupted could bring in as much as $150. The others I'm going to list at $100 I think.

492417[/snapback]

As far as composition, they both balance the eye well, "grove" in particular.

However, make them both black and white and you could probably charge more. I think removing all color from "grove" would give it more character...you know, really enhance the stark contrast between tall/short, belonging/intruding. The color makes it too "happy" when you've named the piece "interupted," suggesting a break from conformity.

I really like the the light/dark/shadow aspect of "claw", and I think it also would stand out more by amplifying that opposition or contrast. The brutal aspect of an industrial object, somewhat softened by it obsolescence.

Just my 2 cents.

However, make them both black and white and you could probably charge more.  I think removing all color from "grove" would give it more character...you know, really enhance the stark contrast between tall/short, belonging/intruding.  The color makes it too "happy" when you've named the piece "interupted," suggesting a break from conformity.

I really like the the light/dark/shadow aspect of "claw", and I think it also would stand out more by amplifying that opposition or contrast.  The brutal aspect of an industrial object, somewhat softened by it obsolescence.

Just my 2 cents.

492531[/snapback]

Deep

Puhonix,

Those are pretty cool shots, and the $150 and $100 prices you said seem about right. If someone is interested, you can always strike a bargain, but don't sell yourself short --- takes a lot of time/money to produce these things and people sometimes have a tendency not to realize that. Agree with JC about black/white, but then there is the whole craze with that now and everyone's doing it.... I always wanted to take a photography class at the U, but never had the proper schedule (it was a 6-hour/week class for the same number of credits as a 3-hour/week class, too). In my area of study, photography was kind of a run-along. Have had a lot of times where I've wanted to have a camera with me to take a photo of something that was really beautiful (ie a startlingly red leaf on the top of a gray stone wall last week), but for the moment, I'm pound-wise and penny-poor for one of those new-fangled digital cameras.

If you're interested, there was a display in the library a few years back where a woman used light-sensitive photopaper to take pictures of the inside of fruit/vegetables. I was taking a botany course at the time and they just blew my mind how they related to the stuff I was studying, and how beautiful they were. My absolute favorite is "Sugar Peas" These pictures were about 3 feet by 5 feet, so they were BIG, but I looked at the prices for them and about went :doh:. Don't know if this link is still active, but you can also try googling if it doesn't work or for more info on how she did them. I've also seen the first name as "Ann."

Anne Parker --- Botanical Metamorphics

However, make them both black and white and you could probably charge more.  I think removing all color from "grove" would give it more character...you know, really enhance the stark contrast between tall/short, belonging/intruding.  The color makes it too "happy" when you've named the piece "interupted," suggesting a break from conformity.

Just my 2 cents.

492531[/snapback]

I love the idea of donig this in B&W but if I did that, Id have to go back and reshoot it. Reason being that if I use a red filter with B&W film I can get more contrast from the sky too. There's a hint for any amateur photogrpaher, red filter, blue sky, B&W film. Always comes out nicely.

I love the idea of donig this in B&W but if I did that, Id have to go back and reshoot it. Reason being that if I use a red filter with B&W film I can get more contrast from the sky too. There's a hint for any amateur photogrpaher, red filter, blue sky, B&W film. Always comes out nicely.

492876[/snapback]

I'm a complete novice here, but can't you just use Photoshop to change it to B&W? Or havn't you scanned the film onto your computer?

CW

I'm a complete novice here, but can't you just use Photoshop to change it to B&W?  Or havn't you scanned the film onto your computer?

CW

492877[/snapback]

Yeah I could do that, and itd be quick and easy. But if you use the red filter when taking the picture, it will show more contrast in the sky. As it is now, the blue sky will show up as a very light gray. Different filters will change the way the sky appears, as is done in this test shot:

Filter Use