Most Disappointing Play of the Night

bartshan-83

4th Quarter....Up 10-7...3rd and 2 at the Patriot's 17.

We are pounding the ball all game, our RB is pumpin, we are in the redzone....and we decide the best play on a 3rd and 2 is a pass to Josh Reed.

Just so indicative of the decisions made by this staff. They get too cute...try to outsmart everyone. That drive was really a statement as it started on the 3 yd. line and McGahee already had 5 carries for 27 on the drive alone. A 97 yd. drive to take a 10 pt. lead would have been a shot in the mouth. But as if Kevin Gilbride was conjured up, the 3rd and short pass screwed us again.

I don't know if we even would have converted, let alone scored, but it was just the decision that really bothered me. I just don't understand it sometimes.

We are pounding the ball all game, our RB is pumpin, we are in the redzone....and we decide the best play on a 3rd and 2 is a pass to Josh Reed.

Just so indicative of the decisions made by this staff. They get too cute...try to outsmart everyone. That drive was really a statement as it started on the 3 yd. line and McGahee already had 5 carries for 27 on the drive alone. A 97 yd. drive to take a 10 pt. lead would have been a shot in the mouth. But as if Kevin Gilbride was conjured up, the 3rd and short pass screwed us again.

I don't know if we even would have converted, let alone scored, but it was just the decision that really bothered me. I just don't understand it sometimes.

491701[/snapback]

It was actually a good call, if Reed would've caught it... The DB jumped at the ball, missed, and it hit Reed in the hands. :angry:

CW

You have to be somewhat unpredictable. If we give to Willis in that situation there is a good chance he gets stuffed. Then lots of people would be complaining the coaching staff is lame because they have no imagination. Personally, with the personel that the Pats have, I dont think the call was bad. IMHO

It was actually a good call, if Reed would've caught it...  The DB jumped at the ball, missed, and it hit Reed in the hands.  :angry:

CW

491704[/snapback]

Unfortunately Josh reverted to 2004 form on that throw.

I just think too many things can go wrong when you call the pass there. And something did. Yeah Josh shouldn't have dropped it, but he's dropped his share.

If McGahee gets stuffed, so be it. But I'd take my chances with a Top 5 back.

491716[/snapback]

I'll agree with that 100%

491701[/snapback]

i thought it was a good call.......reed should have caught it.......unfortunate because he had another good game overall.......

You have to be somewhat unpredictable. If we give to Willis in that situation there is a good chance he gets stuffed. Then lots of people would be complaining the coaching staff is lame because they have no imagination. Personally, with the personel that the Pats have, I dont think the call was bad. IMHO

491709[/snapback]

Or you have to be somewhat predictable, but execute. When the other team knows you're going to run and can't stop you, that wins games. Being "unpredictable", after a certain point, ends up as simply trying to be cute, which does NOT win games.

Ultimately, there comes a time when you have to seal the game by smacking the opponent in the teeth. That time was 3rd and 2 at the Pats' 17 in the 4th quarter. That is not a time to finesse the opponent, it's a time to kick 'em in the head.

491709[/snapback]

Exactly, if the Bills handed it off to WM on every single 3rd and short you'd have people bitching at how predictable this team is and saying it's not wonder we can't convert 3rd downs everybody in the stadium knows what's coming.

The Steelers are the only team in the league that can be predictable and still be effective (thanks to that Oline of theirs). Every other team has to mix it up. I don't have a problem with that play call, hell, it would have worked had Reed hung on to the ball.