Why is your franchise receiver out in the flat

Sure I'm mad at Holcomb for throwing short to Moulds on our last offensive play, but what kind of call is that? How could they possbily call a play which is designed to have your #1 receiver run a two yard route?

I'm sure Holcomb looked downfield, and he knows he can't take a sack there, but to expect Moulds to pickup 5,6,7 yards on his own is rediculous. Left a real bad taste in my mouth.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moulds was nothing more than a decoy and KH choked and tossed it too him. Of course someone else couldve stepped up to help KH but didnt.

491519[/snapback]

exactly.

but KH HAD to know that there was only a very small chance that moulds could have broken 2 tackles and picked up 7 yards after the catch.

exactly.

but KH HAD to know that there was only a very small chance that moulds could have broken 2 tackles and picked up 7 yards after the catch.

491524[/snapback]

Lee Evans, Roscoe, Josh....anyone...someone mustve been single covered.

Sure I'm mad at Holcomb for throwing short to Moulds on our last offensive play, but what kind of call is that?  How could they possbily call a play which is designed to have your #1 receiver run a two yard route?

I'm sure Holcomb looked downfield, and he knows he can't take a sack there, but to expect Moulds to pickup 5,6,7 yards on his own is rediculous.  Left a real bad taste in my mouth.

491514[/snapback]

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was and still am mad at KH for expecting Moulds to be Superman but then I thought Moulds had 8 catches up to that point; why is he running a 2 yard pattern when all the other WRs played like crap; is this just another case of the coaching staff out thinking itself? Maybe they were hoping 3-4 Pat defenders would jump on Moulds and leave somebody else wide open! These coordinators better realize this isn't Madden this is the NFL - NOT FOR LONG when you consistenetly make stupid playcalls!

There's nothing wrong with the route Moulds ran. If the D doesn't cover it, its an easy first down. But they did. Given the fact that it was covered, Holcomb should've thrown it past the first down line. Maybe it would've gotten intercepted, but on 4th and 7, it doesn't matter. At least there was a possibility of a first down. They had practically no chance of a 1st with two defenders waiting to tackle Moulds on that play.

Moulds in the flat was a good decoy. They knew he'd draw 2, if not 3 cover men. The problem is, noodle arm want supposed to actually THROW it to him!  :angry:

491523[/snapback]

There is no doubt KH should not have thrown that ball but why is our best receiver a decoy? Sometimes TC and MM are too cute for their own good. Just like last week when we give the ball to Shelton on 4th and 1.

In crucial situations, give your playmakers a chance to make plays!

There were two receivers at or past the 1st down marker when Holcomb passed to Moulds. They were somewhat covered, but a jump ball is better than a dirt ball. As you say, that play had practically no chance in double coverage.

There's nothing wrong with the route Moulds ran.  If the D doesn't cover it,  its an easy first down.  But they did.  Given the fact that it was covered,  Holcomb should've thrown it past the first down line.  Maybe it would've gotten intercepted,  but on 4th and 7,  it doesn't matter.  At least there was a possibility of a first down.  They had practically no chance of a 1st with two defenders waiting to tackle Moulds on that play.

491533[/snapback]

There is no doubt KH should not have thrown that ball but why is our best receiver a decoy?  Sometimes TC and MM are too cute for their own good.  Just like last week when we give the ball to Shelton on 4th and 1. 

In crucial situations, give your playmakers a chance to make plays!

491539[/snapback]

Yeah, that's pretty much the point I'm making. Moulds was uncoverable for the majority of the night, and they use him as a two-yard decoy? Shaud Williams was very effective on some little dumps and screens, why not have him over there as an outlet?

All it does is leave the coaching staff open to second-guessing. Like you mentioned above, same as the Shelton play. If McGahee goes full steam for the end zone on 4th and 1 and is stopped, you can live with that. But Shelton? Come on!!! Same thing on the 4th down last night. Throw to Moulds for eight yards. Overthrow, pass knocked down, etc. you can live with. Lobbing the short one with no prayer of picking up 7 is what stings. (The short pass also removes any potential for a pass interference call.)

Typical overthinking from MM and the boys.

Josh Reed i believe as unreliable as he is, even with one pass that hit him straight in the chest which forced us to kick a field goal, ran a 9 yard out route towards the sideline. When i saw the play develop thats where i said out loud for holcomb to throw the ball at, but he looked away from reed and threw the dumbest pass i have ever seen by a veteran in that given circumstance.

Maybe holcomb isnt confident in his arm strength to gun the ball to reed, but in that given situation, i wouldnt have been as pissed if he threw the ball incomplete or an interception trying to make a play rather than dumping the ball off to moulds expecting him to make it.

Holcomb should be benched for that play alone! The second that ball left his hand and I saw the 3 Patriots converging on Moulds, I was cursing KH before the ball ever even got to Moulds. That's a pass I do not expect a 10 year vet to make!

The KH experience has got to be over. Only 16 points when you dominate the clock like that, McGahee has a good game and Moulds actually shows up again. I'm sorry, but I think JP could have managed 16 points last night too.

There were two receivers at or past the 1st down marker when Holcomb passed to Moulds. They were somewhat covered, but a jump ball is better than a dirt ball.

491644[/snapback]

A jump ball is less likely to work when the two WRs--Reed and Parrish--are both 5'10". I agree the throw to Moulds was a bad decision, but the play call was absolutely terrible.

The KH experience has got to be over. Only 16 points when you dominate the clock like that, McGahee has a good game and Moulds actually shows up again. I'm sorry, but I think JP could have managed 16 points last night too.

I agree, its time to put JP back in and live with his mistakes.

Well, according to the News, Holcomb was supposed to look for Roscoe, but the Pats defense shifted at the last second and he was certain a pass to him would be intercepted. So he did what any good veteran QB would in that situation. Panic.

No, the play call did not say "throw to Moulds in the flat", but Moulds in the flat was supposed to be his second option...?

Well, according to the News, Holcomb was supposed to look for Roscoe, but the Pats defense shifted at the last second and he was certain a pass to him would be intercepted. So he did what any good veteran QB would in that situation. Panic.

No, the play call did not say "throw to Moulds in the flat", but Moulds in the flat was supposed to be his second option...?

491917[/snapback]

I think it's obvious that Moulds was not the #1 option. But the point is, why not? Decoys are great and can work during the course of the game. But when you have one play to keep the chance of victory alive, you do not decoy with your best receiver. A dump off option is important. Holcomb CANNOT take a sack there, and if there is pressure (which there really wasn't) he needs an outlet to at least avoid a sack and give the chance for someone to make guys miss and pick up a first down. So why not Shaud Williams? Run Moulds on an eight yard route along with Parrish and Evans. The Bills took Moulds out of the play before it even started.

I think it's obvious that Moulds was not the #1 option.  But the point is, why not?  Decoys are great and can work during the course of the game.  But when you have one play to keep the chance of victory alive, you do not decoy with your best receiver.  A dump off option is important.  Holcomb CANNOT take a sack there, and if there is pressure (which there really wasn't) he needs an outlet to at least avoid a sack and give the chance for someone to make guys miss and pick up a first down.  So why not Shaud Williams?  Run Moulds on an eight yard route along with Parrish and Evans.  The Bills took Moulds out of the play before it even started.

491936[/snapback]

Exactly. This is the problem I have with the play call (and execution, if you like) on 4th down with the game on the line.

To me, it's right up there with "naked bootleg to Drew, that'll fool 'em."