I am sitting here listening to my Sirius

The Poojer

and Stevie Ray Vaughn's rendition of Little Wing is playing, and everytime I hear it I am amazed at how awesome he covered that. Not many remakes are as good or better than the original, but somehow I think that Jimi was up there giving SRV a Standing O after he finished that. What an amazing song, what an amazing musician!!!!!!!

and Stevie Ray Vaughn's rendition of Little Wing is playing, and everytime I hear it I am amazed at how awesome he covered that.  Not many remakes are as good or better than the original, but somehow I think that Jimi was up there giving SRV a Standing O after he finished that.  What an amazing song, what an amazing musician!!!!!!!

488601[/snapback]

One of my favorite "covers" of all time.

and Stevie Ray Vaughn's rendition of Little Wing is playing, and everytime I hear it I am amazed at how awesome he covered that.  Not many remakes are as good or better than the original, but somehow I think that Jimi was up there giving SRV a Standing O after he finished that.  What an amazing song, what an amazing musician!!!!!!!

488601[/snapback]

I had the pleasure of seeing him twice in Buffalo in the mid-80's. Once opening for the Moody Blues at the Aud, and once at UB's Springfest. The guy was absolutley unbelievable.

New topic?  Covers that were as good or better than the original?  Start it up!

488615[/snapback]

3 totally different versions of "All Along the Watchtower"...All GREAT. Dylan, Hendrix and Dave Mason (really...I'm not kidding)

Here's one eveyone will hate. Old and In the Way do a bluegrass leaning version of "Wild Horses" that's WAY better than the Stone's, IMO.

Wimer and the Dukes played the s#it out of Steve Miller's "Living in the USA"

More to come if the thread stays interesting...

Gimme Some Lovin': The Spencer Davis Group

While My Guitar Gently Weeps: Jeff Healey

What A Wonderful World: Joey Ramone

488799[/snapback]

"Gimme Some Lovin" was written by Spencer Davis (and sung by a teenage Stevie Winwood way before he became one of the most tragic sell-outs of all-time) along with "I'm a Man". Are you saying someone did a remake that was better?

Booker T and the MGs did a nice cover...but, I doubt you think it was better than Spencer's.

New topic?  Covers that were as good or better than the original?  Start it up!

488615[/snapback]

Devo covering the Stones' "Satisfaction"

GangGreen covering Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry"

Minor Threat doing "Stepping Stone"

Forgotten Rebels doing Gary Glitter's "Hello"

Too many to mention, really.

"Gimme Some Lovin" was written by Spencer Davis (and sung by a teenage Stevie Winwood way before he became one of the most tragic sell-outs of all-time) along with "I'm a Man".  Are you saying someone did a remake that was better?

Booker T and the MGs did a nice cover...but, I doubt you think it was better than Spencer's.

488903[/snapback]

You are correct, I thought it was written by Sam & Dave. :doh:

Booker T, Sam & Dave and The Blues Brothers all did good versions but I think Spencer Davis's is the best.

Joe Cocker did a great job w/Traffic's "Feelin' Alright?"...the original and Mason's various versions are also top notch.

Now, while it may not be better than the original, Earth Wind and Fire do a kick-ass job with da Beetles "Got to Get You Into My Life"...no?

You are correct, I thought it was written by Sam & Dave.  :doh:

Booker T, Sam & Dave and The Blues Brothers all did good versions but I think Spencer Davis's is the best.

488993[/snapback]

Ah, yes Sam and Dave did it too...nice version, no SD Band, though. The Blues Brothers are fun, but essentially a joke.