FEMA is a joke

dib

Seems a little harsh to me too.

488877[/snapback]

Seems to me that the response is a bit of backlash against the endless whining about the government and it's supposedly poor response to natural disasters.

I seem to recall an ice storm in the 70s where we had no power for days on end. We all slept in the living room in front of the fire place, heated soup over the fire, cooked dinner outside on the charcol grill, and wore lots of sweaters. No one thought to complain about the lack of a FEMA response.

Seems to me that the response is a bit of backlash against the endless whining about the government and it's supposedly poor response to natural disasters.

I seem to recall an ice storm in the 70s where we had no power for days on end.  We all slept in the living room in front of the fire place, heated soup over the fire, cooked dinner outside on the charcol grill, and wore lots of sweaters.  No one thought to complain about the lack of a FEMA response.

488892[/snapback]

That there was no FEMA in the '70s may have had something to do with it. :mellow:

Personally, I think anyone who forsakes cleanup duty for bitching on the internet about the lack of people cleaning up might want to take a step back and reexamine their situation. "God helps those who help themselves..." and all...

That there was no FEMA in the '70s may have had something to do with it.   :doh:

Ok, I'll back up his arguement with the ice storm of '91. My family was without power for a week and a half in the WINTER. I think I'm owed a debit card for that.

Or you could have just put on a !@#$ing sweater, you big crybaby.

Or didn't FEMA give you one?

488957[/snapback]

I had a sweater, but FEMA wasn't there to tell me to put it on. They expected me to think of that all on my own? Jeesh. :doh:

I'll cut you some slack Dave. I was very lucky to get my power back after just 2.5 days. Looks like some will be without power for quite some time. My office (University & 595) is on generator and some rooms are at 87 degrees.

Look at the bright side: With the lack of gasoline, those crazy neighbors won't be revving their engines.

:doh:

When hurricane Fran went over Raleigh we were without power for 10 days. The community that we lived in did not wait for the city, state, or feds to come in and clean our streets. We got together and made it happen by ourselves. It went over on a Thursday (I think) and we were able to get out of our driveway and out of our community to go to work on Monday.

The lack of power we dealt with in each our own way. The damage to our homes we mitigated by working together until the insurance company could come out and review. I think that if we had the equipment / knowledge we would have repaired our own power lines.

We had such a response that city and state leaders came to the community and asked how we did it.

DIB - tell me how many tarps you need and I will go to HD or Lowes and send them to you.

damn, when we got hit with some bad ice storms back in buffalo, i guess we made a mistake by storing our freezer stuff in the snow outside, and spending half the 5 days without power cutting firewood in the garage with my dad so we could heat via our fireplace.

Next time i'll freeze my ass off and B word about FEMA.