Air Force Coach forced to apologize

Mikie2times

People did think black QB's were to dumb then, and they simply didn't get developed into QB's because they never played the position.  That was obviously way of base, but in no way does that further justify what’s happening to white players at the speed positions today.

Plenty of white athletes play the speed positions in high school, its simply impossible for that not to happen with the population difference. I was a CB in high school, and we had two African American players on my team, and throughout my conference 1 African American started at CB out of 15 teams. 

The disparity comes at the college level when for the first time a coach can actively recruit a certain quality at an each position.  Each position becomes ultra specialized, and in the competitive fabric of the game coaches realized certain position were better filled by fast explosive athletes. 

Oppression and stereo types held back the African American QB, but that’s not what’s holding back today’s white players from playing speed positions. In football today millions is at stake in boosters, revenue, and merchandise sales.  Only the best players play, and if a white kid posted a monster combine day like we routinely see African Americans do they will play the speed positions. It’s not like a bunch of white 20 year olds are just walking the streets with a sub 4.4 forty, and 40 inch vertical.

488229[/snapback]

Again, I've heard different. For example, ESPN did a really good "Outside the Lines" a few years back on the topic. It was pretty obvious that some coaches did not want white CBs. Jason Seahorn told of how hard it was to even get a tryout at CB in college for that reason. Coaches even came on the record (if I'm not mistaken...I drink, ya know) and said it was a factor.

BTW, I hope you don't think that I believe what happened to black QB candidates is a JUSTIFICATION for the treatment of white players. Clearly I do not. I'm just saying, I believe that there is some of that there.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I've heard different.  For example, ESPN did a really good "Outside the Lines" a few years back on the topic.  It was pretty obvious that some coaches did not want white CBs.  Jason Seahorn told of how hard it was to even get a tryout at CB in college for that reason.  Coaches even came on the record (if I'm not mistaken...I drink, ya know) and said it was a factor.

BTW, I hope you don't think that I believe what happened to black QB candidates is a JUSTIFICATION for the treatment of white players.  Clearly I do not.  I'm just saying, I believe that there is some of that there.

488237[/snapback]

Like I said whites play those positions in high school just because plenty of primarily white areas exist in this country. At college your right, I imagine it is very hard for a white player to play a speed position.

You feel that the stereotype that whites have gotten at the speed positions is what keeps them out of the pro and college game. I just feel that the pro and college game is past stereotypes, that winning is far too important. That is ultimately what led to the rise of the black QB, the demand of winning, and if explosive white athletes were common place we would see them at these positions.

Perhaps we can just agree to disagree on this one.

If Matt Jones was black, he probably would have been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round and not the 1st. And it has nothing to do with intelligence. Scouts, coaches, player personel guys and GMs everywhere were simply amazed that a white guy could run a 4.4 at 6"4" or 6"6" whatever he is. Otherwse, he would have been thought of as another very athletic and talented black guy who couldnt play quarterback in the NFL but was fast and athletic and talented enough to explore the possibilities. That should tell you that black guys are faster. :P

If Matt Jones was black, he probably would have been drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round and not the 1st. And it has nothing to do with intelligence. Scouts, coaches, player personel guys and GMs everywhere were simply amazed that a white guy could run a 4.4 at 6"4" or 6"6" whatever he is. Otherwse, he would have been thought of as another very athletic and talented black guy who couldnt play quarterback in the NFL but was fast and athletic and talented enough to explore the possibilities. That should tell you that black guys are faster. :P

488328[/snapback]

I call bull**** on that one, he was drafted a little too high probably, but was ranked very high due to his incredible athleticism and the fact that he was very raw and capable to develop at TE/ WR to the point where he has no bad habits at the position. He is a project that may develop bad tendencies but will be easier to break them.

Did the fact that he was a white guy putting up those numbers add to the media attention/draft hype? I think that's a definite yes, but white or black a guy that is 6'6 240 running that fast and jumping that high is rare for ANY player, and would be a first round pick in almost any year.

There may be some merit to this approach especially when considering that many slaves died between Africa and the Americas.  The conditions on the slave ships were inhumane, unsanitary and breeding grounds for disease.  Some of the survivors had incredible immunities.  And when considering that many of the Spanish and Portuguese died after coming to the Americas post 1492, we can assume that we all don't have the same immunities and we may have other differences that give us advantages in how we perform in sports.

Rather than sweeping the comments under the rug,  the debate is healthy.  For too long, differences in how the races were treated went unquestioned and we should know how unhealthy that has been for all of us.  We are supposed to have some sort of freedom to speak?  So speak, and write.

487803[/snapback]

To elaborate on this, if I remember my history correctly, the majority of slaves were not coaxed or abducted by the slave traders but were sold by their tribal leaders. Those of lesser intellect, higher physical skills, and (it was presumed) those who were malcontents were most likely to be chosen.

Once they reached the "land of the free", slaves were selectively bred to create stronger field workers. In addition (as Chris Rock points out in a humerous yet sad routine) in some areas slaves were routinely lynched if they were found to be able to read and write.

These are facts that not many (including myself) feel free to discuss in a group setting both due to PC repercussions and to keep the information from being selectively used by a hateful racist.

Another non sequitor point to consider is that genetics only determines 50% of an individuals attributes, the other 50% is environmental.

To elaborate on this, if I remember my history correctly, the majority of slaves were not coaxed or abducted by the slave traders but were sold by their tribal leaders. Those of lesser intellect, higher physical skills, and (it was presumed) those who were malcontents were most likely to be chosen. 

Once they reached the "land of the free", slaves were selectively bred to create stronger field workers.  In addition (as Chris Rock points out in a humerous yet sad routine) in some areas slaves were routinely lynched if they were found to be able to read and write. 

These are facts that not many (including myself) feel free to discuss in a group setting both due to PC repercussions and to keep the information from being selectively used by a hateful racist. 

Another non sequitor point to consider is that genetics only determines 50% of an individuals attributes, the other 50% is environmental.

488353[/snapback]

Interesting post. I have read the same information as to who sold the slaves. If I remember correctly, most of the slaves were taken by the Portuguese to what is now known as Brazil. Jimmy the Greek got railed for expressing the selective breeding theory. I suspect such practices are still going on somewhere in our world. From what I have read, the theory has merit. It is a sad part of history but one that should not be swept under the rug.