Leader of Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map

Sheryl Swoops came out of the closet today, guy.  That pretty much trumps the rants of some nut in Iran.  Just in time for your Gay Ammendment thingy down there in the Lone Star State, too.

487513[/snapback]

Shocking. A player in the WNBA is gay? Whoda thunk it?

In other news, Patrick Ewing admits "I'm not very attractive. Chicks only dig me because I've got alot of scratch."

That just isn't true.  If I were at home, I could find you specific instances of times when Arab states have called for the destruction of Israel. 

488041[/snapback]

I think he's right. I don't recall anyone actually coming out and saying it (even though the actions have certainly been tantamount to calling for the elimination) If anyone, it's likely to have been Nasser, but I don't believe that he's gone so far as to say it.

I think he's right.  I don't recall anyone actually coming out and saying it (even though the actions have certainly been tantamount to calling for the elimination)  If anyone, it's likely to have been Nasser, but I don't believe that he's gone so far as to say it.

488131[/snapback]

Assad has many times. Nasser did, off and on (depending on which way the wind was blowing - friendly with the Americans, economy doing well, he'd ignore the issue. At odds with the Americans, war in Yemen going badly, economy in the tank, call for the destruction of Israel). Assad and various of his underlings in Syria have frequently. I believe some statements came out of Lebanon before it blew itself all to sh-- in the '80s, and I'm bloody sure Hussein's Iraq has made such statements as well.

Mostly, though, such statements are to mollify the masses. Much like the aforementioned annual Chinese saber-rattling towards Taiwan has historically been: all bark, no bite.

Assad has many times.  Nasser did, off and on (depending on which way the wind was blowing - friendly with the Americans, economy doing well, he'd ignore the issue.  At odds with the Americans, war in Yemen going badly, economy in the tank, call for the destruction of Israel).  Assad and various of his underlings in Syria have frequently.  I believe some statements came out of Lebanon before it blew itself all to sh-- in the '80s, and I'm bloody sure Hussein's Iraq has made such statements as well.

Mostly, though, such statements are to mollify the masses.  Much like the aforementioned annual Chinese saber-rattling towards Taiwan has historically been: all bark, no bite.

488222[/snapback]

Going on memory, I seem to remember Saddam threatening to "burn Israel with fire". You're right, these sort of statements are not unprecendented and amount to little more than a lot of hot air. It's not as if Israel is without the ability to defend itself.

Palestinian response

However, a senior Palestinian official rejected the Iranian position.

"Palestinians recognise the right of the state of Israel to exist and I reject his comments," chief negotiator Saeb Erekat told the BBC News website.

"What we need to be talking about is adding the state of Palestine to the map and not wiping Israel from the map," he said.

I didn't realize that the PLO was a member of the UN.

488410[/snapback]

They are observers. So what if they aren't official members of the UN. Those idiots in the UN kicked out Taiwan to please Red China.

The still have in their charter the destruction of Israel and haven't removed it.

They are observers.  So what if they aren't official members of the UN.  Those idiots in the UN kicked out Taiwan to please Red China. 

The still have in their charter the destruction of Israel and haven't removed it.

488662[/snapback]

The point was that "Since 1945, the establishment of the United Nations, no head of state which is a member of the United Nations ever called for the destruction of another member of the United Nations, publicly and clearly, as the president of Iran did."

Because it's old news.  Iran ALWAYS threatens to wipe Israel off the map.  Making a big deal out of it is akin to reporting "Breaking News!  Siberia is cold and barren!"  Okay, mabye not that obvious.  Maybe more like "This just in!  Madeline Albright is cold and barren!" 

But either way, it's a yeah-no-sh-- story.

487501[/snapback]

More Fun from Iran:

TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran's hard-line president marched in the streets of Tehran on Friday alongside tens of thousands of people supporting his call for the destruction of Israel.

As he marched alongside demonstrators in downtown Tehran, Ahmadinejad renewed his criticism of the West, saying: "They become upset when they hear any voice of truth-seeking."

Many marching with him held placards reading, "Death to Israel, death to America,"

Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said the president's comments represented Iran's long-held policy of not recognizing Israel.

"Unfortunately the Western countries have remained silent on the increasing inhumane activities of Israel (against the Palestinians)," Mottaki said a Tehran march.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, Jack Ass, if Israel wanted to "Wipe All The Palestinians Off The Earth" they could do so in about a day. Tell me another country would put up with bombs going off in their street markets.

Why so threated by 8 millions Jews when there are over a billion Muslims? Another interesting fact: Why are all the Islamic "holy sites" in Israel built over Jewish and Christian sites that are a lot older? Wonder how that happened?

The point was that "Since 1945, the establishment of the United Nations, no head of state which is a member of the United Nations ever called for the destruction of another member of the United Nations, publicly and clearly, as the president of Iran did."

488672[/snapback]

1) The point was incorrect.

2) That wasn't Wacka's point anyway. I'm not sure he had a point. What I got out of his post is that the PLO count as UN members because the UN are just observers and Taiwan isn't in the UN. :mellow: Why spoil that lahjik with a point?

More Fun from Iran:

TEHRAN, Iran -- Iran's hard-line president marched in the streets of Tehran on Friday alongside tens of thousands of people supporting his call for the destruction of Israel.

As he marched alongside demonstrators in downtown Tehran, Ahmadinejad renewed his criticism of the West, saying: "They become upset when they hear any voice of truth-seeking."

Many marching with him held placards reading, "Death to Israel, death to America,"

Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said the president's comments represented Iran's long-held policy of not recognizing Israel.

"Unfortunately the Western countries have remained silent on the increasing inhumane activities of Israel (against the Palestinians)," Mottaki said a Tehran march.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, Jack Ass, if Israel wanted to "Wipe All The Palestinians Off The Earth" they could do so in about a day. Tell me another country would put up with bombs going off in their street markets.

Why so threated by 8 millions Jews when there are over a billion Muslims? Another interesting fact: Why are all the Islamic "holy sites" in Israel built over Jewish and Christian sites that are a lot older? Wonder how that happened?

488704[/snapback]

"And our other top story...Generalísimo Francisco Franco is still dead..." :mellow:

What I'm saying is that all of the muslim countries in the middle east (this includes the PLO- the people the arabs don't even want) are just as bad as Iran, they just haven't come out as clearly as them.

I'm saying that the PLO has basically all the same rights as member countries in the UN except for a vote in the general assembly. The UN is a worthless organization, since they kicked Taiwan out and then voted in Communist China, giving them Taiwan's security council seat.