Leader of Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map

If sensationalism sells, why isn't our media all over this one?

You'd think a country working on nuclear weapons calling for a nearby country to be wiped off the map would be a pretty sensational story right?

The media’s reaction? As of the time of this posting:

Fox News has a small headline on the front page.

As does MSNBC.

It isn’t even on CNN’s front page (you have to search to find it).

It isn’t on the front page of ABC News either.

Nor is it on the front page of CBS News.

The New York Times isn’t running it. Neither is the L.A. Times or the Washington Post.

What gives? We’ve got a rogue, terror-sponsoring country that has been actively seeking to develop nuclear weapons talking about wiping out another country and exterminating an entire race and it doesn’t even warrant some headlines?

That’s pathetic. Why is the media smothering this story?

Because it's old news. Iran ALWAYS threatens to wipe Israel off the map. Making a big deal out of it is akin to reporting "Breaking News! Siberia is cold and barren!" Okay, mabye not that obvious. Maybe more like "This just in! Madeline Albright is cold and barren!"

But either way, it's a yeah-no-sh-- story.

If sensationalism sells, why isn't our media all over this one?

You'd think a country working on nuclear weapons calling for a nearby country to be wiped off the map would be a pretty sensational story right?

487490[/snapback]

Sheryl Swoops came out of the closet today, guy. That pretty much trumps the rants of some nut in Iran. Just in time for your Gay Ammendment thingy down there in the Lone Star State, too.

Sheryl Swoops came out of the closet today, guy.  That pretty much trumps the rants of some nut in Iran.  Just in time for your Gay Ammendment thingy down there in the Lone Star State, too.

487513[/snapback]

Yeah, but she also said that she wasn't born gay, and this is simply a choice for her :doh:

(open the floodgates)

Because it's old news.  Iran ALWAYS threatens to wipe Israel off the map.  Making a big deal out of it is akin to reporting "Breaking News!  Siberia is cold and barren!"  Okay, mabye not that obvious.  Maybe more like "This just in!  Madeline Albright is cold and barren!" 

487501[/snapback]

So? If the media is all about selling sensationalism (which is obviously the only explanation for their terrible, slanted coverage of, well, everything), then isn't this more interesting than the missing-attractive-girl-of-the-week stories?

So?  If the media is all about selling sensationalism (which is obviously the only explanation for their terrible, slanted coverage of, well, everything), then isn't this more interesting than the missing-attractive-girl-of-the-week stories?

487526[/snapback]

No. Missing-girl-of-the-week stories are actually fairly rare. Iran wanting to erase Israel is, on the other hand, par for the course.

It's not out of the realm of comprehending, that one day all of these countries will have nuclear and chemical weapons. All it takes is one nut to start a chain reaction, resulting in the end of the middle east. The economic fallout on the world could be disastrous. But like CTM said, these morons are always pumping their own chest. Not like the UN is going to do anything about it.

It's not out of the realm of comprehending, that one day all of these countries will have nuclear and chemical weapons.  All it takes is one nut to start a chain reaction, resulting in the end of the middle east.  The economic fallout on the world could be disastrous.  But like CTM said, these morons are always pumping their own chest.  Not like the UN is going to do anything about it.

487594[/snapback]

Wasnt that the reason we took Saddam out of power?

Wasnt that the reason we took Saddam out of power?

487597[/snapback]

No, not really.

I mean it was...except in as much as it wasn't...but it wasn't not the reason to some degree...although at some point it ceased being the reason...if it ever was the reason to begin with, the certainty of which is open to question as a definite maybe.

Or something. :doh:

No, not really.

I mean it was...except in as much as it wasn't...but it wasn't not the reason to some degree...although at some point it ceased being the reason...if it ever was the reason to begin with, the certainty of which is open to question as a definite maybe.

Or something.  :doh:

487604[/snapback]

The really !@#$ed up thing is that my conscience was saying JUST THAT as I typed out that response above.

But I hit "submit", anyways.

Because it's old news.  Iran ALWAYS threatens to wipe Israel off the map.  Making a big deal out of it is akin to reporting "Breaking News!  Siberia is cold and barren!"  Okay, mabye not that obvious.  Maybe more like "This just in!  Madeline Albright is cold and barren!" 

487501[/snapback]

Really?

"Earlier, Israeli Vice Premier Shimon Peres, a Nobel peace laureate, said, "Since 1945, the establishment of the United Nations, no head of state which is a member of the United Nations ever called for the destruction of another member of the United Nations, publicly and clearly, as the president of Iran did.

"It is against the charter of the United Nations, it is against the practice of the United Nations, and you cannot have a charter where some of the people are for peace and self-defense and the other half for the destruction of it.

"We saw already crazy declarations, and crazy appearances in the past, sometimes we did not take it very seriously. But when you see such a crazy declaration being done by an elected head of state, a member of the United Nations, it is unbearable, you cannot remain a member, or you have to change the charter," Peres said."

furthermore..."EU leaders ... today condemned in the strongest terms the comments in respect of the State of Israel attributed to President (Mahmoud) Ahmadinejad of Iran," Reuters quoted the statement as saying.

"Calls for violence, and for the destruction of any state, are manifestly inconsistent with any claim to be a mature and responsible member of the international community," they said."

oh yeah....most importantly "Ottawa also issued a strong rebuke, with Canadian Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew saying: "We cannot tolerate comments of such hatred, such anti-Semitism, such intolerance. These comments are all the more troubling given that we know of Iran's nuclear ambitions."

so I think it really is more than a "no sh-- story".

furthermore..."EU leaders ... today condemned in the strongest terms the comments in respect of the State of Israel attributed to President (Mahmoud) Ahmadinejad of Iran," Reuters quoted the statement as saying.

487936[/snapback]

attributed by the president of iran?

that comment left me scratching my head

Really?

"Earlier, Israeli Vice Premier Shimon Peres, a Nobel peace laureate, said, "Since 1945, the establishment of the United Nations, no head of state which is a member of the United Nations ever called for the destruction of another member of the United Nations, publicly and clearly, as the president of Iran did.

"It is against the charter of the United Nations, it is against the practice of the United Nations, and you cannot have a charter where some of the people are for peace and self-defense and the other half for the destruction of it.

"We saw already crazy declarations, and crazy appearances in the past, sometimes we did not take it very seriously. But when you see such a crazy declaration being done by an elected head of state, a member of the United Nations, it is unbearable, you cannot remain a member, or you have to change the charter," Peres said."

"Calls for violence, and for the destruction of any state, are manifestly inconsistent with any claim to be a mature and responsible member of the international community," they said."

That just isn't true. If I were at home, I could find you specific instances of times when Arab states have called for the destruction of Israel.

oh yeah....most importantly "Ottawa also issued a strong rebuke, with Canadian Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew saying: "We cannot tolerate comments of such hatred, such anti-Semitism, such intolerance. These comments are all the more troubling given that we know of Iran's nuclear ambitions."

so I think it really is more than a "no sh-- story".

487936[/snapback]

And I disagree. It's just the annual Islamic Israel Bashing. It should be paid no more attention than the annual Chinese saber-rattling against Taiwan, or monthly North Korea saber rattling against...well, everyone really...