Happy 20th birthday

/dev/null

They dominated the first 15 years, but man how the mighty have fallen.

487465[/snapback]

You mean:

nine...ten...D'oh!

Actually they should be doing a little better with DS now, no? Nintendogs has been getting a lot of good press, I know.

You mean:

nine...ten...D'oh!

Actually they should be doing a little better with DS now, no?  Nintendogs has been getting a lot of good press, I know.

487467[/snapback]

I was referring to their consoles, but you're right on. Their handhelds have been dominant with the GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, and DS.

Mrs Campy bought me Sony's PSP to help while away the time during my chemo infusions, and it is awesome - somewhere between a PS2 and a PS1 in terms of power, but also allows you to surf the web, play games over the web, play MP3s, and watch movies I wouldn't be surprises if Sony takes over their handheld dominance at some point down the road.

I think that eventually Nintendo will be going to go the way of Sega - no hardware, just focus on their strengths which is making good games.

Their biggest saving grace might end up being their very dedicated customer base in Japan.

Nintendo? Bah! When I was a kid, we had Atari...16 colors, 40x80 graphics, a cheap-ass blocky little joystick with one button...Space Invaders, Missile Command...now that was a real video game console! And before that, we had to play with Rock 'em-Sock 'em Robots and Smash-up Derby...

Nintendo...kids are spoiled rotten these days...

Nintendo?  Bah!  When I was a kid, we had Atari...16 colors, 40x80 graphics, a cheap-ass blocky little joystick with one button...Space Invaders, Missile Command...now that was a real video game console!  And before that, we had to play with Rock 'em-Sock 'em Robots and Smash-up Derby...

Nintendo...kids are spoiled rotten these days...

487492[/snapback]

Bah, before Atari, I had Telstar...with the gun! Four different variations of pong and two skeet style games! Funny, just mentioning the Atari joystick makes that "pocket" in my palm between the thenar and hypothenar ache (where the corner of the base always jammed itself).