Improving the Run Defense

For the love of Smart Women in short skirts - STOP THE INSANITY - STOP BLITZING ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME. If you blitz, and do not get anywhere near the quarterback, your blitz packages might have been figured out. Phat Pat with Slim Sammy was an awesome combo, but Pats loss alone cannot explain our D getting shredded. I played HS Football and I learned two things 1) That bench gets awfully cold 2) when you blitz - you leave gaps in the D. You'd think Jerry Grey with all the props he got last year could figure this out!

Since we can't play SF every week this year, we need better defensive personnel.  This isn't an anomaly anymore, this is our defense.

487367[/snapback]

Or a better scheme that uses the existing personnel...

I think a problem with all the blitzing we have done, especially on passing downs, is that the NFL has been allowing MUCH more liberal holding by offenses around the league. Teams that blitz a lot have been hurt around the league. Look at the Eagles, they blitz constantly, with a very good defense and have not had much success sacking the QB. I have counted exactly one time this season where the opposing offense has been called for holding our defense during a pass play. I find that almost inconceivable given that we send 5, 6, or 7 men on EVERY pass play. Over the course of 7 games to have one holding call during a pass is almost impossible unless the officials have loosened the standard. I believe that it is part of the leagues policy of protecting QBs, holding is still called on run plays, but almost never on passes. Since the Bills are on at night watch the day games and count how many holds you SEE during passes compared to the number that get FLAGGED during passes.