perfect storm brewing for the northeast Tuesday

Pete

Tropical storm Alpha, Wilma and a low pressure system will all meet off the New England coast. 40-60 mph winds with much higher gusts and more very heavy rain. I really enjoyed reading the The Perfect Storm- this storm will have a few similarities

Tropical storm Alpha, Wilma and a low pressure system will all meet off the New England coast.  40-60 mph winds with much higher gusts and more very heavy rain.  I really enjoyed reading the The Perfect Storm- this storm will have a few similarities

484016[/snapback]

Sounds like your local weathermen are crying "The sky is falling!!"

Ours try to convince us here in Cincy that the end of the world is near if 2 inches of snow *may* be coming... :lol:

NOAA Forcast for Boston, MA:

"Tuesday: Periods of rain. High near 47. Windy, with a northeast wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 54 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between one and two inches possible.

Tuesday Night: Periods of rain, mainly before midnight. Low near 40. Breezy, with a north wind between 21 and 28 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Wednesday: A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 18 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%."

Sounds like your local weathermen are crying "The sky is falling!!"

Ours try to convince us here in Cincy that the end of the world is near if 2 inches of snow *may* be coming... ;)

NOAA Forcast for Boston, MA:

"Tuesday: Periods of rain. High near 47. Windy, with a northeast wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 54 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between one and two inches possible.

Tuesday Night: Periods of rain, mainly before midnight. Low near 40. Breezy, with a north wind between 21 and 28 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Wednesday: A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 18 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%."

484508[/snapback]

I dont know about that. Wilma is still a Cat 3, they are calling for gusts over 65 miles an hour, there is a wind advisory effective 2 am tonight through tomorrow night, the whole north east is getting downpoured on already and the worst conditions are out at sea- just like the perfect storm. There has to be some serious waves out there- I am curious to hear the readings tomorrow. Perfect storm in 91 the waves were over 100 feet

I dont know about that.  Wilma is still a Cat 3, they are calling for gusts over 65 miles an hour, there is a wind advisory effective 2 am tonight through tomorrow night, the whole north east is getting downpoured on already and the worst conditions are out at sea- just like the perfect storm.  There has to be some serious waves out there- I am curious to hear the readings tomorrow.  Perfect storm in 91 the waves were over 100 feet

485660[/snapback]

Actually, from a meterological point of view, it's completely different from the '91 nor'easter.

For anyone stuck out on the Grand Banks in a swordfish boat, however, it's probably a moot point.

Actually, from a meterological point of view, it's completely different from the '91 nor'easter.

For anyone stuck out on the Grand Banks in a swordfish boat, however, it's probably a moot point.

485673[/snapback]

FWIW, the season should be over by this time of year. Thjere should only be a handful of boats left out there on the ocean. Altho the perfect storm happend at almost this exact time of the year.

Wind coming out of the northeast at the moment at 42 mph with wind gusts over 50. It's just a nasty n'oreaster here on Cape Ann.

Local weather station

I wouldn't compare today's gale to the perfect storm. If I remember correctly that was the unholy merger of 3 weather systems over the north atlantic.

485942[/snapback]

yup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perfect_Storm