Mellencamp nominated for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Tux of Borg

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1237248.cms

Mellencamp nominated for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

AP[ WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2005 01:40:06 AM]

NEW YORK: Heartland Rocker John Mellencamp is among the nominees for a new class of inductees at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, joined by jazz legend Miles Davis, rap pioneers Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, and Blondie.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists will vote on whom to induct, and results of the 21st annual election will likely be announced in December. Mellencamp quickly ditched the cheesy nickname Johnny Cougar and banged out a series of rock hits in the ‘80s, including “Pink Houses”, “Jack & Diane” and “R.O.C.K. in the USA”.

Grandmaster Flash, whose “The Message” and “White Lines (Don’t Don’t Do It)” were among rap’s early hits, will test whether the rock hall is willing to open its doors to one of today’s top styles of music.

The late Davis was one of jazz’s most iconoclastic musicians. Blondie, led by pinup model Debbie Harry, fused pop with the aggression of punk and mixed in rap and disco. Cat Stevens was also among those nominated.

Grandmaster Flash is nominated while Stevie Ray Vaughn and Edward Van Halen are snubbed again. :blush:

Since when is rap/hip-hop defined as "rock and roll"? That's why it's called "rap" and not "rock and roll." Rock is Seager, Clapton, Holly, U2, Cheap Trick, Rush.... (and let me tell you, it is a great accompaniment to a hard labor job).

Hey, let's nominate Beethoven for the Country Music HOF. How about a bust of Julia Child in Canton? It obviously doesn't matter if a HOF isn't in your milieu anymore.

Since when is rap/hip-hop defined as "rock and roll"? That's why it's called "rap" and not "rock and roll." Rock is Seager, Clapton, Holly, U2, Cheap Trick, Rush.... (and let me tell you, it is a great accompaniment to a hard labor job).

Hey, let's nominate Beethoven for the Country Music HOF. How about a bust of Julia Child in Canton? It obviously doesn't matter if a HOF isn't in your milieu anymore.

483204[/snapback]

Maybe they just want to avoid being labeled raciest?

Mellencamp, Miles Davis, Grandmaster Flash and Blondie.

Kids, guess which one of these acts actually had some talent.  Arguing about this garbage is about the only thing worse than the institution itself.  And we wonder why rock seems less relevant to today's youth.

484503[/snapback]

Miles Davis by a country mile...Then Mellencamp :lol:

Run-DMC should be eligible in a year or two... and aren't they the King of Rock?

484452[/snapback]

There is none higher. Sucker MCs shpuld call them "sire."

I can't believe I actually remembered that.