(OT) Civilization 4

meazza

crap! are you serious?

my specs aren't much better XP 2500 Barton with 128MB video...

guess i won't waste my time

have you tried F.E.A.R.? also runs like crap on my machine, but i'm told it's one of the scariest games ever

496081[/snapback]

download it and see if it works fine

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my machine can't handle it, then I don't think anybody can.  I have a dual Opteron 246, 2G of RAM, and a GeForce 6800GT video card.  If I can play HalfLife2 at full rez, I sure the hell better be able to play Civ IV :ph34r:

CW

495784[/snapback]

You have similar specs to me except for the cpu. Im running a A64 3500. You will run the game just fine. In fact, very smooth. Dont worry. Fear will also run well you just have to tweak the settings. Im playing that and currently using 1280x1024 resolution and the frame rate isnt the best but it looks nice. You can run it at 1024x768 and the frame rate picks up significantly.

You have similar specs to me except for the cpu. Im running a A64 3500. You will run the game just fine. In fact, very smooth. Dont worry. Fear will also run well you just have to tweak the settings. Im playing that and currently using 1280x1024 resolution and the frame rate isnt the best but it looks nice. You can run it at 1024x768 and the frame rate picks up significantly.

496164[/snapback]

I (literally) just finished winning FEAR. Awesome game, great ending. I played it at 1152x864 (step up from 1024x768 - I used that res for the first half of the game before bumping it up). At 1152x864 it looked awesome and I ran full on all detail settings (except water, which I turned down to medium mainly because I thought it looked more realistic that way).

Hopefully I'll get Civ4 tomorrow -- good timing I guess. :ph34r:

CW

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetcivilizat...m.asp?fid=15498

most of the guys on this forum have 256MB video cards, the game is having problems, i'd suggest waiting for the patch before spending your money on the game,

just my suggestion

495798[/snapback]

I just got Civ4 yesterday. Installed and played without a hitch with the resolution at 1280x1024. I think I might go higher next time, just so I can see more of the world at any given time.

For me, the jury is still out on this one. It seems more RTS-like, rather than Civ-like. Maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see. That aside, the game has run flawlessly for a few hours without a hint of slowdown on my system.

CW

I just got Civ4 yesterday.  Installed and played without a hitch with the resolution at 1280x1024.  I think I might go higher next time, just so I can see more of the world at any given time.

Im running it at 1024x768 just because I can't read the icons. Too small for me at higher res. Geeze I cant imagine running it higher than 1280 unless your a spoiled SOB and have a 42" plasma monitor or something :devil:

For me, the jury is still out on this one.  It seems more RTS-like, rather than Civ-like.  Maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see.  That aside, the game has run flawlessly for a few hours without a hint of slowdown on my system.

CW

497612[/snapback]

Stick with it. I think it may be the best one yet.

Im running it at 1024x768 just because I can't read the icons. Too small for me at higher res. Geeze I cant imagine running it higher than 1280 unless your a spoiled SOB and have a 42" plasma monitor or something  :devil:

Stick with it. I think it may be the best one yet.

497945[/snapback]

Yeah, the icons were small - I didn't realize they scaled with the display. That's kinda dumb, they should stay larger... Oh well, maybe I stick with 1280x1024 (I have a 22" Viewsonic professional monitor :w00t: ).

CW

Yeah, the icons were small - I didn't realize they scaled with the display.  That's kinda dumb, they should stay larger...  Oh well, maybe I stick with 1280x1024 (I have a 22" Viewsonic professional monitor :devil: ).

CW

497957[/snapback]

22" is nice. I have a Viewsonic 19"deal. Pro series as well. It's 7 years and has been a great monitor. Other PC upgrades always seem to get in the way of buying a new monitor.

22" is nice. I have a Viewsonic 19"deal.  Pro series as well. It's 7 years and has been a great monitor. Other PC upgrades always seem to get in the way of buying a new monitor.

497965[/snapback]

Same here, I have a Viewsonic 19" that still serves me well from a few years back. I forget the model, but it was made at the time for heavy graphics, so that helps. I probably need to take the plunge, though - because my computer refreshes a lot faster than the monitor at this point. I do flight sims, and especially with Ubi-Soft products, one needs a horse of a video card and processor.

For me, the jury is still out on this one.  It seems more RTS-like, rather than Civ-like.  Maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see.  That aside, the game has run flawlessly for a few hours without a hint of slowdown on my system.

CW

497612[/snapback]

It only seems that way, I think. Strikes me as a nice blend of RTS-feel ("nice" in a marketing sense; I hate RTS games) and turn-based strategy play.

It only seems that way, I think.  Strikes me as a nice blend of RTS-feel ("nice" in a marketing sense; I hate RTS games) and turn-based strategy play.

498097[/snapback]

The Civ games are great (especially Civ 4), but why the hate for RTS games? Pick up something like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft, and you may feel differently. I almost prefer RTS over turn-based sometimes because of the idea of having to make strategy decisions under time pressure (speeds up the game, too, so you're not wasting the entire day playing ;) ).

Finished my first game of Civ4. Almost won, but another culture won the space race before I did. The part that sucks is that the reason they won was because I was so helpful to them in the middle of the game, trading them technologies at less than face value, etc. Oh well...

The game's starting to grow on me. Before I play again, I think I need to look through the manual. I didn't get a sense of how religion worked in the game, and I need to figure out a few other things as well. Overall, it was fun though.

The game worked fine, no crashes, no hangups, nothing. My coworker ahs the game as well, and he said his crashes every 10-20 minutes of gameplay. Not sure what the deal is, but I'm glad mine's stable.

If you like strategy games, it's probably worth trying. It felt a little RTS-like in the beginning, but once your civ starts growing and you have to actually do some planning (instead of just scouting the world), it does get better.

CW

The Civ games are great (especially Civ 4), but why the hate for RTS games? Pick up something like Warcraft 3 or Starcraft, and you may feel differently. I almost prefer RTS over turn-based sometimes because of the idea of having to make strategy decisions under time pressure (speeds up the game, too, so you're not wasting the entire day playing  :) ).

500565[/snapback]

I have played Warcraft and Starcraft. RTS just isn't my cup of tea...I enjoy spending the entire day planning out decisions and actions that have significant impact 90 turns down. "Fun" to me is detailed, involved planning with complex ramifications absent the time pressure.

But to each his own...fun to some people is FPS. Okay...whatever. De gustibus non est disputandum.

I have played Warcraft and Starcraft.  RTS just isn't my cup of tea...I enjoy spending the entire day planning out decisions and actions that have significant impact 90 turns down.  "Fun" to me is detailed, involved planning with complex ramifications absent the time pressure.

But to each his own...fun to some people is FPS.  Okay...whatever.  De gustibus non est disputandum.

504916[/snapback]

And some of us get to do that for a living. :) Eat your heart out. :)