(OT) Civilization 4

meazza

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVE the series. In college, there were several times where I was playing the original at night, and I'd keep saying, "One more turn, then I'm going to sleep." My roommate would wake up the next morning with me still playing, and say, "Did you stay up all night?!" :blush: Sounds crazy, since it's just a game, but it's addicting... (the only game I've lost sleep over...)

I still play CiVIII and love it. I'm hoping that CivIV doesn't ruin it; I'm a bit worried with the "making it more accessible to new people" angle. Hopefully it's still Civ, and not a turn-based RTS game or something.

I have a copy preordered from Amazon, so should have it sometime next week. Can't wait.

And in case you havn't seen this site, tons of Civ info:

http://www.civfanatics.com

CW

LOVE the series.  In college, there were several times where I was playing the original at night, and I'd keep saying, "One more turn, then I'm going to sleep."  My roommate would wake up the next morning with me still playing, and say, "Did you stay up all night?!"  :blush:  Sounds crazy, since it's just a game, but it's addicting... (the only game I've lost sleep over...)

I still play CiVIII and love it.  I'm hoping that CivIV doesn't ruin it; I'm a bit worried with the "making it more accessible to new people" angle.  Hopefully it's still Civ, and not a turn-based RTS game or something.

I have a copy preordered from Amazon, so should have it sometime next week.  Can't wait.

CW

482789[/snapback]

im broke so ill be "ordering" my copy on bitorrent

but ya im a big civ fan, i gave them my 80$ for civ3 a long time ago, i just like the idea of the very easy to play multiplayer, or how they say it will be less detailed but more open... i dunno imjust dying to play this game

LOVE the series.  In college, there were several times where I was playing the original at night, and I'd keep saying, "One more turn, then I'm going to sleep."  My roommate would wake up the next morning with me still playing, and say, "Did you stay up all night?!"  :blush:  Sounds crazy, since it's just a game, but it's addicting... (the only game I've lost sleep over...)

I still play CiVIII and love it.  I'm hoping that CivIV doesn't ruin it; I'm a bit worried with the "making it more accessible to new people" angle.  Hopefully it's still Civ, and not a turn-based RTS game or something.

I have a copy preordered from Amazon, so should have it sometime next week.  Can't wait.

CW

482789[/snapback]

My fave is still CIVII (yes, I have III). The animated advisors - especially the drunken military advisor - still make me laugh out loud.

• 2 weeks later...
so anyone play this yet, ive played a few games but my XP 2000 and 128 MB video card isnt doing the job like i want it to :)

495561[/snapback]

Yep, just finished a game.

Pretty good...more complex, but maintains the same sort of feel of the last three. The government/civic choices are more richly complex with religions explicitly folded into it (rather than implicitly), combat's changed a little bit, development's changed significantly ("Whadda ya mean, my railroads don't increase production now? No income for roads?") The research tree seems, if anything, somewhat dumbed-down.

Overall, it's a creditable successor. III's still my favorite, though.

Pretty good...more complex, but maintains the same sort of feel of the last three.  The government/civic choices are more richly complex with religions explicitly folded into it (rather than implicitly), combat's changed a little bit, development's changed significantly ("Whadda ya mean, my railroads don't increase production now?  No income for roads?")  The research tree seems, if anything, somewhat dumbed-down. 

Overall, it's a creditable successor.  III's still my favorite, though.

495664[/snapback]

When do you have time to play, between writting COBOL on your home mainframe, building kitty condos, spending millions on kitty docs, and modifying the programming on your new car to get better gas milage?

Pretty good...more complex, but maintains the same sort of feel of the last three.  The government/civic choices are more richly complex with religions explicitly folded into it (rather than implicitly), combat's changed a little bit, development's changed significantly ("Whadda ya mean, my railroads don't increase production now?  No income for roads?")  The research tree seems, if anything, somewhat dumbed-down. 

Overall, it's a creditable successor.  III's still my favorite, though.

495664[/snapback]

i like the fact that tanks no longer lose to warriors anymore, lol in civIII you could have a battalion of tanks and have trouble taking down veteran spearmen

overall its a great game, i just don't like the religion aspect, i find its just a waste but anywho still a 9.5 on 10

I'm a government contractor.  I play at work.

495668[/snapback]

So, lets just say you make $50 an hour. That means the gubbament is paying $100 to your employer an hour. You're playing Civ IV. Meanwhile, 2000 soldiers have died in Iraq. Ain't Gubbament pork grand!

God Bless America!

Amazon dropped the ball, so I'm STILL waiting for my pre-order to come in! ARGH! :)

Maybe I"ll get it today. More than likely, not until Monday :flirt:

(my coworker preordered it from Amazon after I did, and he's had his for days... Not that I'm jealous or anything).

CW

I'm a MMORPG junky myself... anyone else?

495767[/snapback]

u mean like world of warcraft? my friends were hooked on that, i would seriously flunk out of school if i bought that game so I strayed away from that and stuck to mindless games i'd eventually get sick of (madden, counterstrike)...

Fez before paying money for the game, download it. i Have a 128 MB Nvidia with 1024 Ram and Xp 2000 processor and the game is running like crap on my PC therefore i'm not buying it. The requirements are understated in my opinion

u mean like world of warcraft? my friends were

Fez before paying money for the game, download it. i Have a 128 MB Nvidia with 1024 Ram and Xp 2000 processor and the game is running like crap on my PC therefore i'm not buying it.  The requirements are understated in my opinion

495783[/snapback]

If my machine can't handle it, then I don't think anybody can. I have a dual Opteron 246, 2G of RAM, and a GeForce 6800GT video card. If I can play HalfLife2 at full rez, I sure the hell better be able to play Civ IV :)

CW

If my machine can't handle it, then I don't think anybody can.  I have a dual Opteron 246, 2G of RAM, and a GeForce 6800GT video card.  If I can play HalfLife2 at full rez, I sure the hell better be able to play Civ IV :)

CW

495784[/snapback]

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetcivilizat...m.asp?fid=15498

most of the guys on this forum have 256MB video cards, the game is having problems, i'd suggest waiting for the patch before spending your money on the game,

just my suggestion

So, lets just say you make $50 an hour.  That means the gubbament is paying $100 to your employer an hour.  You're playing Civ IV.  Meanwhile, 2000 soldiers have died in Iraq.  Ain't Gubbament pork grand!

God Bless America!

495699[/snapback]

Well...actually, I'm subbed to someone else on the contract, so the government probably pays more like $200/hr for my time. And then specifically tells me "We don't have any work for you to do this week...so why don't you just come in and bill for the hours anyway?" $8k a week to do what I'm told to do: nothing. :)

Well...actually, I'm subbed to someone else on the contract, so the government probably pays more like $200/hr for my time.  And then specifically tells me "We don't have any work for you to do this week...so why don't you just come in and bill for the hours anyway?"  $8k a week to do what I'm told to do: nothing.  :)

495814[/snapback]

are they looking for economists lol

so anyone play this yet, ive played a few games but my XP 2000 and 128 MB video card isnt doing the job like i want it to :(

495561[/snapback]

crap! are you serious?

my specs aren't much better XP 2500 Barton with 128MB video...

guess i won't waste my time

If my machine can't handle it, then I don't think anybody can.  I have a dual Opteron 246, 2G of RAM, and a GeForce 6800GT video card.  If I can play HalfLife2 at full rez, I sure the hell better be able to play Civ IV :ph34r:

CW

495784[/snapback]

have you tried F.E.A.R.? also runs like crap on my machine, but i'm told it's one of the scariest games ever

have you tried F.E.A.R.? also runs like crap on my machine, but i'm told it's one of the scariest games ever

496081[/snapback]

Yup, been playing that for a week or two - it's pretty awesome I've jumped several times (once when I was sneaking around and the phone rang in real life... D'oh :ph34r: ). Awesome game.

CW