Good analysis of Losman/Holcomb

Here is the link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/sto...r_kc&id=2197843

I'm not gonna copy and paste it...

Basically, KC Joyner analyzes Losman's yards-per-attempt for short, medium, and long-range passes and concludes that "The Bills' passing game was getting to the point that there simply wasn't anything Mularkey and Clements could put into the passing game plan and expect it to be successful."

He notes that Holcomb has improved the Bills' short-passing game, but unless KH starts completing balls downfield, we're fugged.

I think KH takes what he's given. If they give us the long ball, I think he's not afraid to take a shot downfield. If no one gives us that, then we'll let one of the WRs run 'em off deep and take the underneath stuff. As long as the chains are moving, I'm happy.

I think KH takes what he's given.  If they give us the long ball, I think he's not afraid to take a shot downfield. 

481487[/snapback]

I like your optimism but the only ball so far he took a downfield shot on had WAY less than it should have. Didn't seem to bother the guy who picked it off though.

I don't see KH comfortable making 35 and 40 yard passes, but let's hope you're right and he surprises me on the sloppy ass Oakland turf we should expect Sunday.

I don't see KH comfortable making 35 and 40 yard passes, but let's hope you're right and he surprises me on the sloppy ass Oakland turf we should expect Sunday.

481527[/snapback]

So you're basically saying when it comes to the 20+ yard passes, Holcomb is downright Brady-like?

I like your optimism but the only ball so far he took a downfield shot on had WAY less than it should have. Didn't seem to bother the guy who picked it off though.

481527[/snapback]

I'm not particularly concerned with passes that travel 35+ yards in the air. It's great the stretch the field once in a while but not that big of a concern if they don't connect regularly. That being said, they need to take shots down the field more than once every two games, which is what they've done so far under Holcomb.

What I'd like to see are a hell of a lot more passes in the 15-20 yard range. Unless a passing game uses all of the field it's really not going to be successful on a regular basis. With the exception of the Cambell completion last week I'm struggling to come up with any other mid range passes in the past few weeks.

I'm not particularly concerned with passes that travel 35+ yards in the air.  It's great the stretch the field once in a while but not that big of a concern if they don't connect regularly.  That being said, they need to take shots down the field more than once every two games, which is what they've done so far under Holcomb.

What I'd like to see are a hell of a lot more passes in the 15-20 yard range.  Unless a passing game uses all of the field it's really not going to be successful on a regular basis.  With the exception of the Cambell completion last week I'm struggling to come up with any other mid range passes in the past few weeks.

481540[/snapback]

2 games ago to Lee Evans, Holcomb hit him around 15-20 yds and he ran it another 25 or 30, IIRC...

481527[/snapback]

My recollection of that throw was that it was against the wind and he was pressured on the play. It looked like it was wobbling pretty badly. Personally, I don't see that one throw as an indictment of the guy's ability to toss one long.

He's also already proven that he can throw for a mean chunk of yardage in a game, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

My recollection of that throw was that it was against the wind and he was pressured on the play. It looked like it was wobbling pretty badly. Personally, I don't see that one throw as an indictment of the guy's ability to toss one long.

481619[/snapback]

What worries me the most is his apparent lack of confidence in his own ability to throw it deep. The fact that Holcomb checks down on virtually every single deep play call tells me something. It's very unlikely that the D has it double covered every single time . Holcomb needs to put the ball up there and let Evans or Moulds make a play. (or get a PI call, which seem to happen on about 1/4 of all deep throws in the NFL).

2 games ago to Lee Evans, Holcomb hit him around 15-20 yds and he ran it another 25 or 30, IIRC...

481542[/snapback]

If I recall correctly that was a short slant where the CB fell down and Evans took it to the 1 (though had he lept for the goal line he would have scored easily).

481527[/snapback]

I hope I'm right too. :rolleyes:

That pass was thrown as the Bills were facing a stiff wind. I think (hope) that as the weather turns he'll quickly learn how to contend with The Ralph's unique swirling winds.

EDIT: I saw Rubes' post above after responding - but I echo his sentiments

According to the splits on ESPN, Holcomb is 2-3 for 38 yards in  11-20 yards "in the air" throws, 0 for 1 in 21-30 yards, 0 for 1 with a pick in 31-40 yards.  FWIW.

481692[/snapback]

In two games he's attempted only 5 passes over 10 yards. That needs to change.

481619[/snapback]

Two good points. I seem to recall KH going deep a few times against pitt in the playoff game.

He's also already proven that he can throw for a mean chunk of yardage in a game, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

481619[/snapback]

Yes, the winds have always had an effect on the ball when the temp drops and the Fall makes way for Winter.

Last year he threw for 413 against the Bengals. That is hell of a lot of short passes.

481794[/snapback]

In 4 games last year he threw 12 times behind the line, 51 times 1-10 yards, 17 times 11-20, 3 times 21-30 and 4 times 31-40. Again, FWIW.