Did Anyone Else See The Sporting News'

buckeyemike

This was in a September issue of The Sporting News.

The Ralph clocked in at #24. The blurb said it was cavernous and cold with all the concrete, even in high summer, and the stadium was difficult to get to.

The top five were:

1) Qwest Field, Seattle

2) Raymond James Stadium, Tampa Bay

3) Reliant Stadium, Houston

4) Ford Field, Detroit

5) Cleveland Browns Stadium (I'm surprised it was that high...it's really pretty basic).

But the Ralph did clock in ahead of the Metrodome, Dolphins Stadium (being a two-sport facility is what ruins it), Giants Stadium, and dead last, the Georgia Dome (also a surprise).

I don't have a link to the article, sorry.

Mike

But the Ralph did clock in ahead of the Metrodome, Dolphins Stadium (being a two-sport facility is what ruins it), Giants Stadium, and dead last, the Georgia Dome (also a surprise).

480856[/snapback]

They got the GA Dome right. Worst stadium...ever.

Considering all the new stadiums built in the last 10 years or less its not surprising that Rich is lower now. Doesnt mean that Rich sucks though. Not sure what they mean by "hard to get to" Do they dislike it because its not in the city? I like the fact its out in the suburbs.

worst stadium hands down - candlestick. talk about cold in the summer!! The place is a dump, the parking lots flood during football season so no one can park, the johns hold about 10 people, and the hallways arent big enough to stand in line for food, and allow traffic to move.

Hard to get to?

:ph34r:  Cartman voice......DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH  :ph34r:  219!!!!!  DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH Milestrip exit....wuh wuh wuh wuh eas.....uh wuhesttt!!!!!!  :ph34r:  DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH  Henry Cabot......DAAAAAAAAH ABBOTT ROAD!!!!

480917[/snapback]

Yeah, the fat ass sports writer can't just waddle over from his hotel room and has to mix with us peons.

The worst in the past was Cleveland, now it is Candlestick. The parking lots are below sea level and half flood if there is a heavy rain. Oakland Colesium is not much better. The Ralph is much better.

Forgot to note the following:

Right above the Georgia Dome was Oakland at #29 and Candlestick at #30.

The Superdome WAS somewhere in the middle of the pack, but the article came out before Katrina...so I guess it was August, not September.

I don't think the Ralph is so hard to get to...you can see the stadium from 219 and the exits are marked, at least on that highway. Lambeau in Green Bay is harder to get to.

Mike

worst stadium hands down - candlestick. talk about cold in the summer!! The place is a dump, the parking lots flood during football season so no one can park, the johns hold about 10 people, and the hallways arent big enough to stand in line for food, and allow traffic to  move.

480930[/snapback]

I never saw a game at Candelstick but the worst stadium I've ever been in was the Vet in Philly. Just a shi*thole. The Georgia Dome is a great place to watch a game in comparison.

The worst NFL stadium I have ever been to is Texas Stadium, hands down. That place is a complete dump. And the frickin' hole in the roof is just stupid.

Of course, I have only been to Arrowhead, the Meadowlands, FedEx Field (or whatever it's called now) and the Ralph for football games. I've been to the Stick, the Oakland Coliseum, the Vet, Three Rivers, RFK, the old Cleveland Stadium, the Kingdome and Busch for baseball though.

They got the GA Dome right. Worst stadium...ever.

480882[/snapback]

I don't know that it's the worst, but after seeing many dozens of games at Rich/Ralph, there's nothing like being outside. The GA dome is clinical. First of all, it has this horrible color scheme (sort of a pinkish/terra cotta and aqua marine)that looked old and worn from the first day.

Secondly, inside, it's like a big circus tent. Give me open sky any day. I get claustrophobic in the place. On TV, it looks like great seating, but I've been in the next to last row up top, and the view reminds me of looking at the bottom of the falls from Goat Island. The action seems like it's very far away unless your in one of the premium seats (that remain empty through most of the games).

Thirdly, the downtown locale and site made for limited parking (translation: not exactly tailgate central). With the exception of a few satellite/pirate lots, tailgating doesn't exist. Tailgating is half the fun, especially during "rebuilding" years. At least there's that to look forward to. A downtown location would be great in Buffalo, but unless it came with the same amount of tailgating space, I wouldn't want it. In Atlanta, they encourage everyone to use the mass transit system, MARTA. They're slogan is "Take Marta, it's smarta". It's also boring as hell compared to a few hours of grilling out and communing with fellow fans.

The Ralph is still a good stadium. I'm curious where Arrowhead ranks. It was designed by the same architechural firm and built a year or two before Rich.

Here's a link, with the rankings and write-ups about each stadium.

Interestingly, the writer described the inside of the GA Dome exactly as I had previously - like a big circus tent. And it accrurately described the downtown location as being less than prime real estate. And yes...it is dark and dingy inside and outside.

Not sure how Arrowhead got such a high ranking (#13). It's basically the same as the Ralph in terms of sightlines, age, architecure, etc.

My guess is the the writer is not as much into football as they are into daydreaming and sightseeing. The writer has a real affinity for open-ended stadiums where you can look out at something besides the action on the field. All the top choices fit into this category. They really get a charge out of the pouring Heinz Ketchup bottle at Heinz field. Maybe the writer was on some elementary school field trip and wrote this article as an English class assignment. Tipping Heinz bottle? Alrighhhty then.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...29/ai_n14939730

Candlestick is the worst, The Cardinal's stadium is horrible, but they are getting a new one. He places it in the top third? Good location, but you don't watch the game from on theose buttes.

Qwest in Seattle is great- I recall it from going there last year for the Bills game there. Awesome stadium- great location- it's the best hands down.

I've always liked Ralph Wilson Stadium. It's a great palce to see a game- great tailgating.

I think our rating is a low. Arrowhead and the Ralph are very similar stadiums and I heard that Alltell in Jacksonvilel is the twin of the Ralph. So..whatever.

The bathrooms in the Cardinal's stadium are weird. First, too few. Second, instead of all the urinals/troughs being against the wall some are at a wall that only goes up about 4 feet. Instead of staring at the wall, you are looking at someone else also staring at you while taking a leak about 6 ft away.

Second that notion, and also thought the 24 oz Blues for $7.50 are the best bargain I have seen in a stadium in quite some time.

481109[/snapback]

We had to settle for $7.50 Miller Lites....oh what I would have given for it to be Blue!!!