Natural gas prices

Fezmid

Just got my gas/electric bill for the month. My gas use hasn't gone up over the past few months (since the only thing gas in the house that is used in the summer is our water heater). This month, we paid $30 for gas. Last month, it was only $25, and the month before was only $20. They weren't kidding when they said heating costs would go up 50% from last year. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

CW

I'm on all electric, but we have fireplace with a gas hookup, without a tank in the yard... This weekend is hacksaw time for the pipe. Then i can get some wood (although its suprisingly hard to find chopped wood in north carolina) for the winter months. Progress energy (our electric company) is relatively cheap, but anything to help us out, like the fireplace, would be great.

I'm on all electric, but we have fireplace with a gas hookup, without a tank in the yard...  This weekend is hacksaw time for the pipe.  Then i can get some wood (although its suprisingly hard to find chopped wood in north carolina) for the winter months.  Progress energy (our electric company) is relatively cheap, but anything to help us out, like the fireplace, would be great.

480947[/snapback]

Getting your wood now probably means you're going to get green wood. Make you sure you don't burn that green wood at low temps. You will start a chimney fire due to the creosote build up in chimney. Fireplaces are great for looks but they really are not efficient for a source of heat. Try to find some wood that has been on the ground for awhile and is seasoned a little more.

would it be cheaper at this point to be running an electric furnace over gas?

i suppose I could do the math and calculate all the kilowatt hour crap, but someone must know

then again, it's too late in the game to be changing furnaces anyway since all the local hardware stores are apparently out of furnaces of all kinds (according to R news)

My house was around $70

we use a gas water heater and a gas stove...

This was for september when the heat was not on...

Estiamted MoFo's =(

480946[/snapback]

You sure they didn't bill you for two months?

I know here in Illinois (NICOR) during the summer months, they will only read the meter every two months... And bill you bi-monthly... When October rolls around again, they go back to monthly reads.

:rolleyes:;)

This is amazing. My electric bill last month for a 2,000sf house and medium sized pool was $498. So it doesn't matter where we are - we're paying, paying, paying.

481125[/snapback]

Holy Crap! $500?

I've got a family of four with 2100 SF and large pool. I'm usually around $250 per month.

Follow on question.

I have two zone heatpump system(electric) with whats called a plus one gas furnace that only kicks in when the outside temp is below 40. I have been contemplating moving that down to the 30s, but wonder if that will be efficient.

My heat pumps are both less than two years old, and while I'm not sure the exact sear ratings(?), they are both supposed to be very efficient. (Getting the drift yet that I know next to nothing bout this stuff?)

Anybody got a guess out there if that makes sence

Follow on question.

I have two zone heatpump system(electric) with whats called a plus one gas furnace that only kicks in when the outside temp is below 40. I have been contemplating moving that down to the 30s, but wonder if that will be efficient.

My heat pumps are both less than two years old, and while I'm not sure the exact sear ratings(?), they are both supposed to be very efficient. (Getting the drift yet that I know next to nothing bout this stuff?)

Anybody got a guess out there if that makes sence

481426[/snapback]

Heat pumps are fine for AC, but unless they are fed by the very pricey underground piping system set-up, are pretty poor heating units.

No idea about efficiency - but most heat pump systems will continue to try to provide heat (and use electricity) well outside of their efficient range - the thermostat tells them to keep trying.

I'd let the gas heat kick in as usual.

Speaking of natural gas and Dutch ovens....

But I digress.

Yeah, climb in heating costs will kill this weak economy... if people think buying gas is tough, heating your house for 150% of what you are used to paying is insanity... It's almost as if Electric heat would be cheaper now...