I hope the Bills aren't overlooking the Raiders

ofiba

Does anyone know that the Bills play the Raiders this week? This whole board seems pretty worried about the Pats but we don't play them for another 2 weeks.

Kerry Collins is like a poor man's Drew Bledsoe. I say we blow out the Raiders first, and then shock the world by by beating the Pats in Foxboro!

5-3 heading into the bye, with all the momentum in the world.

The Bills aren't--just most of the folks on this board.

With Moss hobbled, the Raiders are going to open a whole big can of Lamont Jordan whup-ass on the Bills. That means ball control with a few Collins bombs to Gabriel (who stepped up after Moss left last week) and Porter.

According to most of the analysts on NFL radio (Sirius), this is a real "show me" game for the Raiders, so they are going to be pumped.

Gray has to come up with some kind of scheme to stop the run. If he can do that, the DBs will take care of business. On offense, same as last week: run Willis and spread the passes around.

I'm looking forward to seeing Roscoe roll up some serious YAC numbers.

I'm not overlooking the faiders ...... I just think that this is a game we SHOULD win (if we are legitimate playoff contenders) but even if we lose the Raiders game, it really isn't a "stake through our heart".

The Pats game on the other hand is a must win if we intend to "take control" of the divison race.

I'd LOVE to win both ...... but if I've got to chose only one ..... I'll pick the Pats game ..... of course winning both would be really REALLY sweet, lose both and we may as well pack up the tents on this season.

I'm not overlooking the faiders ...... I just think that this is a game we SHOULD win (if we are legitimate playoff contenders) but even if we lose the Raiders game, it really isn't a "stake through our heart".

The Pats game on the other hand is a must win if we intend to "take control" of the divison race.

I'd LOVE to win both ...... but if I've got to chose only one ..... I'll pick the Pats game ..... of course winning both would be really REALLY sweet, lose both and we may as well pack up the tents on this season.

480302[/snapback]

Last year's away game vs. the Raiders singlehandedly kept us out of the playoffs. And if you look at the remaining 8 games on our schedule, a loss to the Raiders this year could easily do the same.

Does anyone know that the Bills play the Raiders this week? This whole board seems pretty worried about the Pats but we don't play them for another 2 weeks.

Kerry Collins is like a poor man's Drew Bledsoe.  I say we blow out the Raiders first, and then shock the world by by beating the Pats in Foxboro!

5-3 heading into the bye, with all the momentum in the world.

480260[/snapback]

here's what i'm worried about - the bills haven't won in oakland since 1966. they did win in LA in 91, but lost there in 1992. they've historically had trouble on the road against the raiders, and i tend to believe in all that historical stuff ...

480302[/snapback]

So what your saying is that your content with losing? :D I for one am not! The Bills need to play SMASHMOUTH ball the rest of the season and look at every game as if they were going to win it. I for one don't see the players and the coaches saying that I'd be happy with a win here but a loss there wont kill us.

480260[/snapback]

You're right - I've never seen such a bunch of overconfident knuckleheads about a game in which their team was UNDERDOGS as if the other team isn't even going to show up since....well, since Dolphins fans 2 weeks ago; but it still annoys the hell out of me when I see it from my fellow Bills fans.

According to most of the analysts on NFL radio (Sirius), this is a real "show me" game for the Raiders, so they are going to be pumped.

This makes absolutely zero sense. They're playing a division rival - the defending champion last week....at home coming off a bye, other team off a short week....They were 1-3. How in God's name are they not "pumped" last week? Was that not their season on the line? Unfortantely I have a sick feeeling that you are right. Knowing the Raiders it'll be "Oh hell, those home division games don't mean anything.....Buffalo - now there's our Super Bowl". Jackasses.

Yeah, this game scares me...the way any west coast visit does by the Bills. The fact that Moss likely will not play adds to it. No matter how good the Bills are playing (and I know they are only average right now) they seem to play down to the level of their competition at times. It seems, often, the more the cards are stacked in the Bills favor, the worse they do. Lets just hope that Lamont Jordan does have his "break out" game this weekend.

I take no game for granted with this Bills team. Any trip to the west coast is disaster waiting to happen. It's just that the Patsy trolls, whose sorry-ass team have a bye this week, have decided to drop their stink logs here early.

PTR

The local TV football show here in the SF area (they show it after MNF and cover both the 49ers and Raiders) was talking about if Collins is a bust at QB. They have been relying on bombs to Moss an dif he's out- whhat do they have. Remember they are 1-4.

Hopefully the fact that they should have beaten the Raiders the last time they played them and lost (I seem to remember Travis Henry tripping over the air or something like that)

We would have started THAT game had we stuck with Magehee

480424[/snapback]

John, I think you've got you r games mixed up. The play you're referring to was the home PATS game where TH tripped over his shoelaces in front of a gaping hole for a 1st down. The Raiders game was where he decided to run into Campell's arse instead of bouncing it outside for an easy TD. McGahee hadn't seen the field much yet. But I agree, Willis scores for sure in the OAK game, and the NE game may have been different if Willis was starting. :D

So what your saying is that your content with losing? :D  I for one am not! The Bills need to play SMASHMOUTH ball the rest of the season and look at every game as if they were going to win it. I for one don't see the players and the coaches saying that I'd be happy with a win here but a loss there wont kill us.

480356[/snapback]

no, no, no .... not at all. The point I'm trying to make is that the win against the Pat's (in the overall scheme of things) is the more important win. If we want to control the division we need to win within the division. I want to win both games (as we all do) but if I HAD to choose one to lose .... I'd rather lose to the Faiders than the Pats.

My reasoning is that if we go undefeated within the division, it goes a long way towards winning the division. Where as a game outside of the division is just another game. I do agree with you in that I'd just LOVE to go undefeated ..... but IMHO, that is just too unrealistic to hope for ....... so I go into every season expecting to lose four or five games ..... I do not agree with you that the players and coaches feel that every game has the same "weight factor" ...... we directly compete with the Pats, Jets, and Dolphins ...... every time we beat one of them we get a win, and they get a loss (and vice-a-versa)..... against any other team we could also both win or both lose which would in effect be a push.