Nethack Tournament this Halloween!

Fezmid

If you even know what NetHack is, you are deep geek and perhaps also a h4x0r of no small ability. If you're interested in participating in a worldwide NetHack tournament, then you are probably so old-school l33t you were on the 'net in the pre-Mosaic days. In which case you probably already know about the NetHack tournament hosted yearly by /dev/null.

This is one of the best games ever made; I've been playing for years, and have only come "close" to winning once... Very deep, lots of variety, never the same game twice. It's also VERY hard.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3144825

I always install Nethack on my personal workstations or home OpenBSD servers :(

CW

i haven't played nethack for a long time so i'm way out of practice.  maybe if i did an 80s style Rocky get in shape montage...

479866[/snapback]

Well what are you waiting for?! :(

I always get YASD though... :blush:

CW

I nethack once after many, many deaths and hitting many, many ghosts of myself.  I haven't played it since.  I am a real oldtimer who remember when rogue first came out.

479887[/snapback]

You WON Nethack once? If so, I'm impressed. The closest I got was when I had the amulet and tried getting back to the surface but was killed by the ever-resurrecting Wizard of Yendor. :( I was not a happy camper.

I used to play rogue and hack, although it was on my dad's Amiga 500 (probably circa 1985 or so). My memory is sketchy on those; all I remember is that it was tough to find food and I starved to death a lot...

CW

You WON Nethack once?  If so, I'm impressed.  The closest I got was when I had the amulet and tried getting back to the surface but was killed by the ever-resurrecting Wizard of Yendor. :(  I was not a happy camper.

I used to play rogue and hack, although it was on my dad's Amiga 500 (probably circa 1985 or so).  My memory is sketchy on those; all I remember is that it was tough to find food and I starved to death a lot...

CW

479893[/snapback]

Winning is a matter of time, notes and bordom on road. Eating wasn't a problem. Ate a ring of slow digestion while polymorphhed. Did that a lot of rings which enabled me to have all kinds of special abilities. I felt almost as powerful as a mod. I won because I kept track of my corpses and when I found ghost levels I always knew what good stuff was stored in all of the boxes on level because I put them there! Always wished I could find a magic notebook in which I would be able to write down my inventories so I always knew what I had. One magic item I would create if I had input to it.

Played rogue, hack, moria (sp?) and nethack throught college and for years afterwards. First program I installed on my laptop.