YOUR solution to the BCS

Tux of Borg

8 team playoff. It's the only way. Now, I only pay attention to the AP poll.

That other poll is a complete sham and the BCS is flawed.

479903[/snapback]

Didn't the AP stop doing their poll? Basically on the grounds that they didn't so much want the AP's name/reputation to be involved in the fracas and that they shouldn't be "making the news" (rather than simply reporting it) by doing a poll?

Play the standard 10 games with one or probably two bye weeks and enforce this rather than the willy-nilly of some teams playing 12 or some teams having three or four weeks of byes. Then have conference championships or what have you.

Top 8 (according to whom, tho?) --> 4 --> 2 --> Nat'l Championship game.

Everyone else like the Motor City Bowl, etc., can invite who they want and do their thing. I think these steps would pretty much put it on the same time schedule as it is now.

Didn't the AP stop doing their poll? Basically on the grounds that they didn't so much want the AP's name/reputation to be involved in the fracas and that they shouldn't be "making the news" (rather than simply reporting it) by doing a poll?

480070[/snapback]

AP still conducts their poll, but they requested to be taken out of the BCS formula. Last year, your BCS point total was factored by taking 1/3 AP ranking, 1/3 USAToday Coaches Poll ranking, and 1/3 computer ranking.

Now that AP dropped out and continues their own independent poll, it creates the same problem as always: A possible split national championship. To replace the AP, a new poll was created, which includes some former players, coaches, and others who can vote anyway they see fit. Some of these guys don't even watch the games I'm sure. It really is a jumbled mess.

I trust the writers and place all the stock in the AP poll. I believe they watch a lot of games and at least follow all relevant teams. Even the coaches poll, we saw what happened last year when Mack Brown lobbied and complained until 4 or 5 coaches (probably in the Big 12) voted them above Cal, even though Cal was ranked above them in every poll all year except the final one. Thus, Texas in the Rose Bowl. I have heard stories where coaches send an intern to vote for them, because they are too busy preparing for the upcoming game. Anyone who thinks these coaches in the ACC are sitting around watching two teams from the Big 10 who they will never play is crazy. No time for that.

The BCS is outstanding when 2 teams run the table. In that case, the system ensures that #1 plays #2 in a bowl game, which didn't always happen in the past. But in the two or three years where there were 3 (or more) undefeateds (or 1 undefeated and several 1-loss teams) is when people scream for a playoff.

It's obvious the playoff could be done, but there is an awful lot of money currently on the table, and many greedy people are sitting at that table. The ironic part is it seems so much more money could be made. But, if big-time programs continue to schedule each other like Ohio St.-Texas and USC-ND, and those games continue to live up to the hype, I think it will eventually happen. I can't imagine how incredible those 7 games would be if they had an 8 team playoff, and I think those two games from this season illustrated the best of top-flight NCAA football. Lets hope some of the decision makers feel the same way.