YOUR solution to the BCS

Tux of Borg

Everybody's answer is obviously going to be to implement a playoff system. What I want to know is how do imagine it?

I'd like to see a 24 team playoff series, single elimination of course and you play until there are 2 teams left, which will then be the BCS National Championship game.

If I was in charge of setting up the tournament, I'd do it like so: 12 automatic bids for the conference winners, and then the next bids going to the next 12 teams with the best record.

Everybody's answer is obviously going to be to implement a playoff system. What I want to know is how do imagine it?

I'd like to see a 24 team playoff series, single elimination of course and you play until there are 2 teams left, which will then be the BCS National Championship game.

If I was in charge of setting up the tournament, I'd do it like so: 12 automatic bids for the conference winners, and then the next bids going to the next 12 teams with the best record.

479335[/snapback]

I don't care.

I stopped watching college ball other than for a few minutes while I'm changing channels since they instituted that roller hockey-like tie breaking system.

We should just nuke the BCS and take their oil.

479368[/snapback]

:(

I think a playoff system is a must, although I think 24 teams may be too many. The reason the NCAA keeps citing not going to a playoff system is time away from school for the athletes. Talk about blowing smoke. I'm sure that's their number one interest and it has nothing to do with their lucrative bowl packages.

I'd propose the top 8 make the playoffs. Wrap the whole thing up in three weeks. If you wanted to extend it to 12 (ala NFL) you could go to four weeks.

You'll see the griping come full force if Texas and UGA run the table this year.

The SEC thinks they are by far the premier football conference and are still bent over Auburn not making the championship game last year.

Seriously, these guys are in college. Extending their seasons across another 4-5 weeks just further makes their enrollment in college a farce. I'd love to see championships settled, but it seems more than anything these guys are just looking for a way to feel better about themselves in what has become a needless industry of absurdly sponsored bowl games, big TV contracts and hype that has next to nothing to do with the educational system.

8 team playoff, 12 max. Do it over a few weeks. This way you can stil rotate the "bowl game" that makes up the national championship.

I am really hoping for VT and Georgia to run the table, so the NCAA has to deal with 4 unbeatens, which would SCREAM playoff

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, GET RID OF THIS BULLSTOJAN WHERE A LATE SEASON LOSS HURTS MORE THAN AN EARLY SEASON LOSS.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, GET RID OF THIS BULLSTOJAN WHERE A LATE SEASON LOSS HURTS MORE THAN AN EARLY SEASON LOSS.

479554[/snapback]

Just a guess, but I think that might be in recognition that the big teams line up and pay a bunch of duckpins (like UB) to play early on to get themselves up in the rankings.

I am really hoping for VT and Georgia to run the table, so the NCAA has to deal with 4 unbeatens, which would SCREAM playoff

479554[/snapback]

I'm sure you know this, but there were four last year, USC, OK, Auburn, and Utah. But I know what you meant: 4 undefeated from the BCS conferences.

I thought it sucked that Utah didn't play Auburn last year. Let the undefeateds battle it out. Pittsburgh got the free bid out of the WHACK Big East, and I knew Utah would pound 'em. Sure enough, they did...

479335[/snapback]

24/2= 12 teams left

12/2= 6 teams left

6/2 = 3 teams left. :(

I'm sure you know this, but there were four last year, USC, OK, Auburn, and Utah.  But I know what you meant: 4 undefeated from the BCS conferences.

I thought it sucked that Utah didn't play Auburn last year.  Let the undefeateds battle it out.  Pittsburgh got the free bid out of the WHACK Big East, and I knew Utah would pound 'em.  Sure enough, they did...

479583[/snapback]

Yah i kinda forgot about Utah, but i basically meant 4 teasm from big name conferences, that would all have a legit beef about not getting selected to the national championship game (due to their being ranked lower in the preseason)

And while i am ACC all the way, i'll admit the SEC is by far the toughest conference in the country, and it basically hurts the teams in there because they beat on each other.

An 8 team playoff should give all of the legit contenders their shot at the title.

Playoff; 8 teams max.

I don't think you can tie it into league champions, because you shouldn't give an automatic bid to a conference like the Big East, but at the same time, you don't want to shut out a situation like last year where Utah got shut out.

Rather, keep a BCS type ranking intact, but make winning the league championship a component of that ranking. Then just take the top 8. If you finish 9th, tough.

If you finish 9th, tough.

479698[/snapback]

Or just cry like Texas did last year to get moved past Cal in the coaches poll, which bumped them ahead in the BCS and on to the Rose Bowl. Everyone's ranking could be what their coach complains it is...

I don't think you need to have 24 teams. I think 8 teams is the ideal number. Start the playoffs around Christmas time and you'd have the playoffs done in plenty of time. I think 8 teams because usually anyone that has any kind of argument for a National Championship wouldn't be ranked lower than 8. I don't think any automatic bids, just BCS rankings. The venues could be at current locations for BCS bowls and there could be other bowl games for teams that don't get into the playoffs. I really don't understand why the NCAA doesn't do this. No argument that I have seen for keeping the current system leads me to believe that a playoff shouldn't or couldn't be done. Imagine the excitement that would surround these playoffs.

24/2= 12 teams left

12/2= 6 teams left

6/2 = 3 teams left.  :(

479603[/snapback]

Brilliant!

Then with the remaining 3 teams, pick 2 for the national title, and the 3rd gets screwed to play in some worthless bowl game...

Oh, wait, isnt the current system we have?