MNF: at the risk of starting a TSW riot!

Buftex

As one who never liked John Madden much, I think he has been excellent on Monday Night Football. I know most hear loathe him, but the guy still knows the game, and is much more sublimely humourous than I had ever really given him credit for. He did a great job on tonights' game....

And while I am baring it all, I will go one step further, and say that Dan Dierdorf is pretty damn good too. I like him better on the afternoon games (he seems a little less conscious of trying to make everything bigger than it is), but always thought he was good on MNF!

Flame away! :D

His schtick can get old fairly quickly, but he does a decent job of breaking stuff down for the most part.

With Dierdorf, he's something of a tool IMO, but he's not any worse than the rest of 'em.

His schtick can get old fairly quickly, but he does a decent job of breaking stuff down for the most part.

478899[/snapback]

I always thought the same thing when he was on FOX, but he really doesn't have too much schtick on MNF. The only schtick is that silly horse trailer thing.

I used to despise Madden and called him the king of obvious, but he does a great job of breaking the game down, and you can't question his knowledge. Now that the Cowboys dynasty is long gone old Madden has grown on me a bit.

As for my other quiet favorite I like Jim Nance. I hate the Patriot love fest, but he does a good job raising the drama level and that’s what his role is.

Worst group hands down is the Sunday Night football crew.

To bad I can't sink up the radio broadcast with the TV, I tried the internet feed before and it didn't sink up.

I used to despise Madden and called him the king of obvious, but he does a great job of breaking the game down, and you can't question his knowledge. Now that the Cowboys dynasty is long gone old Madden has grown on me a bit.

As for my other quiet favorite I like Jim Nance. I hate the Patriot love fest, but he does a good job raising the drama level and that’s what his role is. 

Worst group hands down is the Sunday Night football crew.

To bad I can't sink up the radio broadcast with the TV, I tried the internet feed before and it didn't sink up.

478906[/snapback]

yeah, most of them do suck but madden is hit or miss. i think the video game ruins him in a way because you hear the phrases at inappropriate times.

overall the sunday nite crew oughta be beaten with a stick, especially theismann. paul mcguire disappoints me for being a former bill. when listening to theismann, i want to offer LT some coke if he could duplicate that hit that hsattered theismann's leg

As one who never liked John Madden much, I think he has been excellent on Monday Night Football.  I know most hear loathe him, but the guy still knows the game, and is much more sublimely humourous than I had ever really given him credit for.  He did a great job on tonights' game....

And while I am baring it all, I will go one step further, and say that Dan Dierdorf is pretty damn good too.  I like him better on the afternoon games (he seems a little less conscious of trying to make everything bigger than it is), but always thought he was good on MNF!

478888[/snapback]

the worst thing that ever happened to dierdorf was going on mnf. the pressure to puff and exaggerate got the best of him. he was good before he got to mnf, and he's been good since he left.

As one who never liked John Madden much, I think he has been excellent on Monday Night Football.  I know most hear loathe him, but the guy still knows the game, and is much more sublimely humourous than I had ever really given him credit for.  He did a great job on tonights' game....

And while I am baring it all, I will go one step further, and say that Dan Dierdorf is pretty damn good too.  I like him better on the afternoon games (he seems a little less conscious of trying to make everything bigger than it is), but always thought he was good on MNF!

478888[/snapback]

I used to believe that Madden was a robot. Everytime he would repeat himself or mutter something like "The big guys up front gotta be big and that's why you got what you got there" I would chalk it up to a glitch in his robot programming.

That being said, I think they replaced the old John Madden with a new improved robot. I no longer find him annoying. In fact, this MNF model is kind of informative.

There are at least a dozen college or NFL color guys who can do a better job.

Madden jumped the shark at least ten years ago. Every Madden game is -- boom -- the same. The impersonator on Mad TV could do the game and no one would know the difference.

Favorite moment last night: Tim Duncan is on the sidelines and Al Michaels makes a clever (for him anyway) joke saying,

"Robert Horry is supposed to be here but he'll likely show up in the last two minutes." (a reference to his last minute heorics in big games - for those how don't follow the NBA).

Well, not surprisingly, Madden doesn't understand it's a joke and says something like "maybe his plans changed."

Michaels tries to make light of his "joke" and tries to explain but Madden doesn't follow -- which makes it even funnier -- and a bit cringe inducing.

I used to believe that Madden was a robot.  Everytime he would repeat himself or mutter something like "The big guys up front gotta be big and that's why you got what you got there" I would chalk it up to a glitch in his robot programming. 

That being said, I think they replaced the old John Madden with a new improved robot.  I no longer find him annoying.  In fact, this MNF model is kind of informative.

479098[/snapback]

There is a guy named Frank Caliendo who does a fabulous Madden impression, using phrases similar to yours. Hilarious stuff. Catch him on Jimmy Kimmel or Comedy Central.

I have found Bill Maas to be among the best of the TV football announcers.

There is a guy named Frank Caliendo who does a fabulous Madden impression, using phrases similar to yours. Hilarious stuff. Catch him on Jimmy Kimmel or Comedy Central.

I have found Bill Maas to be among the best of the TV football announcers.

479537[/snapback]

Caliendo is hillarious, and does one of the best impressions of Madden that I have ever heard anyone do of anyone...

i hate madden, and will be the first in the room to make fun of him. i've often pondered starting a website listing his many many many stupid/unintentionally humorous quotes.

i'll admit, last night he did sound *less stupid* than he normally does. sorry that doesnt make up for years and years of senile nobrainer nonsensical comments that he's made.

You have to be the biggest friggin dick in the world, what the hell is your problem? did your parents drop you on your head as a baby? did you fall off the short bus? holy crap are you a moron!

man the love fest was getting sickening, so I figured I would flame away like you asked......I like madden and big dan as well

Flame away! :(

478888[/snapback]

I have always liked Mike Golic on ESPN and his Mike & Mike In the Morning show. He is intelligent, funny, informed, and not afraid to take a ribbing or laugh at himself. I think he could be a very good color man doing games on TV or radio (maybe he does, I'm not sure.) I don't think I've ever heard him...

I have always liked Mike Golic on ESPN and his Mike & Mike In the Morning show.  He is intelligent, funny, informed, and not afraid to take a ribbing or laugh at himself.  I think he could be a very good color man doing games on TV or radio (maybe he does, I'm not sure.)  I don't think I've ever heard him...

479604[/snapback]

He does ESPN college TV and NFL radio. He's pretty good, IMO; especially when he holds down the prerequisite hyperbolic color commentary.