Need to find a way to get McGee

Terrence is electrifying. If Clements is so hell bent on gadget plays, let's get McGee the ball a couple more times a game. The last Bills player that could take it to the house on any given play was OJ.

I'd much rather see a direct snap to McGee........WOW!

Terrence is electrifying.  If Clements is so hell bent on gadget plays, let's get McGee the ball a couple more times a game.  The last Bills player that could take it to the house on any given play was OJ.

I'd much rather see a direct snap to McGee........WOW!

478861[/snapback]

I don't know about the gadget plays, but I wonder why McGee doesn't return punts...he seems to do pretty well starting and stoping very quickly, you'd think he'd be great on punt returns.

I don't know about the gadget plays, but I wonder why McGee doesn't return punts...he seems to do pretty well starting and stoping very quickly, you'd think he'd be great on punt returns.

478878[/snapback]

Excellent point. That would be a great way to get him 5 more touches a game.

478878[/snapback]

Punt return duty is kamakaze work. Probably don't want to get McGee killed. It's probably why Jonathan Smith is on punt duty now instead of Clements.

I would be in favor of using McGee as a WR once in a while.

PTR

Punt return duty is kamakaze work.  Probably don't want to get McGee killed.  It's probably why Jonathan Smith is on punt duty now instead of Clements.

478911[/snapback]

Amen.

McGee was an excellent PR in college, but surprisingly not a KR. He would do great as a PR in the NFL, too. That may be too much for a guy though. I don't think there is any player that is a full time DB and the full time PR and KR.

480895[/snapback]

I'm just suggesting that when you have a player that is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball, you need to find a way to get the ball in that players hands more often.

McGee was an excellent PR in college, but surprisingly not a KR. He would do great as a PR in the NFL, too. That may be too much for a guy though. I don't think there is any player that is a full time DB and the full time PR and KR.

480895[/snapback]

I think Deion may have done both, in his prime.

..checking...

Yup, he did with the Falcons; not too many kickoffs after that, though.

Then again, he didn't exactly exert himself in run support, either - so you might debate the "full time DB".... :ph34r:

I think Deion may have done both, in his prime.

..checking...

Yup, he did with the Falcons; not too many kickoffs after that, though.

Then again, he didn't exactly exert himself in run support, either - so you might debate the "full time DB".... :ph34r:

480901[/snapback]

That's why I said "that is" and not "that was". :ph34r: I was really only thinking of this year and very recent memory. Deion was a freak of nature, but I'm sure there have been players that have done it in the past. I just can't think of one recently.

I'm just suggesting that when you have a player that is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball, you need to find a way to get the ball in that players hands more often.

480897[/snapback]

I understand, and even said it to a friend last week that I hate when teams put DBs at WR and stuff like that, because it rarely if ever works. But that McGee is just so good at eluding guys, and accelrating fast, and even breaking tackles, as well as has good hands, that he is a prime candidate to be put in on offense. The problem is as soon as he is in, the defense knows it's going to be a trick play.

It's damn hard to stop the dude though, even when you know he's comin'. And he seems to be getting better. I think he has a better average this year than last.

That's why I said "that is" and not "that was".  :ph34r:  I was really only thinking of this year and very recent memory. Deion was a freak of nature, but I'm sure there have been players that have done it in the past. I just can't think of one recently.

480931[/snapback]

Fair enough. And the fact that I had to reach all the way back to Deion means you're probably right...

As for McGee's KR average: 26.3 in 2004, 34.6 this year. That number is stunning, considering he hasn't actually taken one all the way yet (although the one in San Antonio was agonizingly close).

Going to check on something...

As of this week, McGee has 75 returns, which qualifies him for the all-time records in the category. NFL career record for qualifiers is 30.56, held by a pretty good RB named Gale Sayers. McGee's career average is 27.32. His season average is also darn close to the top 3 - Travis Williams (Green Bay, 1967) holds the record with 41.06; Sayers averaged 37.69, also in 1967; Ollie Matson (1958 Bears) is #3 with 35.50.