kyle orton showing progress

Johnny

had a holcomb like day in chicago, he and losman started as virtual equals, they'll probably finish with more wins than the bills and know who their starting qb will be next season

478350[/snapback]

Yeah, sure does suck to win, doesn't it?

had a holcomb like day in chicago, he and losman started as virtual equals, they'll probably finish with more wins than the bills and know who their starting qb will be next season

478350[/snapback]

Yeah. Big difference is that the Bears have the second best defense in the NFL and play in a crappy division. The Bills defense is pretty lackluster this season, and the division is tougher.

JP had one job on this team: convert a few third downs so Willis could get more runs. He couldn't do it. He lost his job. If his confidence is shot, then he's not the QB of any team's future. If he's determined to get better carrying the clipboard for a little while, then maybe he will be the QB of the future.

Just posted this in another , but....

From Peter King's column:

7. I think I could listen to Peyton Manning talk about quarterbacking for a long time. Manning on whether a rookie quarterback should play right away or soak up rookie knowledge and sit: "I say play, play, play, play, play, play. That is what I did. The sooner you play, the sooner you taste the live bullets on the field. You get to see what the blitz is like and you know where your receiver is going to be. You can only learn so much on a chalk board. I wish Eli could have played early. The sooner you play, the sooner you get used to the speed of the game. My rookie year, I got more and more comfortable every single week. That's really what it's all about.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...qb.week6/4.html

Yeah. Big difference is that the Bears have the second best defense in the NFL and play in a crappy division. The Bills defense is pretty lackluster this season, and the division is tougher.

JP had one job on this team: convert a few third downs so Willis could get more runs. He couldn't do it. He lost his job. If his confidence is shot, then he's not the QB of any team's future. If he's determined to get better carrying the clipboard for a little while, then maybe he will be the QB of the future.

478363[/snapback]

damn..no chance the cowboys would take him and our first for bledsoe is there?

478350[/snapback]

I watched the week #3 24 to 7 defeat of Orton's Bears by Cincy. Orton had 5 picks, and a fumble, I think.

But beyond that (if possible), I thought he looked pretty good. He certainly didn't get rattled, and HC Smith refused to give up the run despite being behind, and did not yank Orton nor put a muzzle on his passing.

It's a coin flip, but he may make it as an NFL QB. I liked what I saw.

And the Bears' defense is tops, IMO.

478363[/snapback]

dont look now but the afc east may be the nfls worst.......if the nfc north or west is better or not is very debatable

Just posted this in another , but....

From Peter King's column:

7. I think I could listen to Peyton Manning talk about quarterbacking for a long time. Manning on whether a rookie quarterback should play right away or soak up rookie knowledge and sit: "I say play, play, play, play, play, play. That is what I did. The sooner you play, the sooner you taste the live bullets on the field. You get to see what the blitz is like and you know where your receiver is going to be. You can only learn so much on a chalk board. I wish Eli could have played early. The sooner you play, the sooner you get used to the speed of the game. My rookie year, I got more and more comfortable every single week. That's really what it's all about.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...qb.week6/4.html

478366[/snapback]

I think the overall talent of this year's Bills team versus that of Indy's in Peyton's first year render that a moot point.

There are plenty of success stories for those QBs who get the baptism by fire, and there are just as many for those who ride the pine for a while. Whatever it takes, but with the talent on our roster, I don't see why we'd squander an opportunity. Moulds, Adams, Milloy, Vincent, etc aren't getting any younger.

Yeah. Big difference is that the Bears have the second best defense in the NFL and play in a crappy division.

478363[/snapback]

Don't sell that defense short. They rag-dolled a very good Cincy OL and got beat by 17 points thanks to their offense committing seven turn-overs. With 7 turn overs, one might expect a bigger point differential... :blink:

they'll. . . know who their starting qb will be next season

478350[/snapback]

Yeah, it's going to be Rex Grossman.

But, I agree with your overall point: I disagree with pulling Losman out now. He could have blossomed by mid-season. But I trust that our staff knows what it's doing, and you can't complain when we win.

Losman showed that he was not ready. There is no reason at this point to sit Holcomb. We are winning and tied for first in the division. Let's not give up on this season (while we are still in it) just so one player can get reps for future seasons.

Losman showed that he was not ready.  There is no reason at this point to sit Holcomb.  We are winning and tied for first in the division.  Let's not give up on this season (while we are still in it) just so one player can get reps for future seasons.

478400[/snapback]

no reason to sit holcomb NOW for sure.....but whats next? these guys got two wins they pretty much knew they would get to take the heat off of themselves......they screwed up during the off season so much that in some cities it is unforgiveable

dont look now but the afc east may be the nfls worst.......if the nfc north or west is better or not is very debatable

478372[/snapback]

Not really? Chicago leads there division at 2-3 with wins over suspect teams.

The patriots have lost to good teams

478363[/snapback]

i don't know why that's so hard for some people to undestand.

478363[/snapback]

Bingo.

i don't know why that's so hard for some people to undestand.

478513[/snapback]

I agree with the John Adams quote completely, and JP couldn't do it, and he is now on the bench because of it, and the Bills won. That is not difficult to understand. What's difficult to understand is why didn't MM and TC give him the same game plan we used in the last two weeks. Run a lot, run more and throw short safe passes. They don;t have to be the same safe short passes that KH was told to do, and can do far better than JP does right now. But they could have been the kind of safe short passes that JP can make now, like the plays on the run that Plummer does, WR screens, quick dump offs, etc. Not asking him to ddrop back seven steps, survey the field, avoid the rush of Greg Jerman and Duke Preston and trey Teague's men, and gun the ball 10, 20, 30 yards downfield.

All this really does, IMO, is prolong JP's taking over of the team by as little as a half season and as much as a full season. It really doesn't mean all that much except we'll probably be a little better this season and a little worse next season than we would be if we took our lumps now.

I agree with the John Adams quote completely, and JP couldn't do it, and he is now on the bench because of it, and the Bills won. That is not difficult to understand. What's difficult to understand is why didn't MM and TC give him the same game plan we used in the last two weeks. Run a lot, run more and throw short safe passes. They don;t have to be the same safe short passes that KH was told to do, and can do far better than JP does right now. But they could have been the kind of safe short passes that JP can make now, like the plays on the run that Plummer does, WR screens, quick dump offs, etc. Not asking him to ddrop back seven steps, survey the field, avoid the rush of Greg Jerman and Duke Preston and trey Teague's men, and gun the ball 10, 20, 30 yards downfield. 

All this really does, IMO, is prolong JP's taking over of the team by as little as a half season and as much as a full season. It really doesn't mean all that much except we'll probably be a little better this season and a little worse next season than we would be if we took our lumps now.

478538[/snapback]

You agree with John Adams, and he agrees with you. Like you though, I heard the tales of the coaches scrapping the playbook so that JP only had to look at one half of the field on a given play. WTF is that? And like you, I saw JP misfire on enough easy passes to make me a bit nervous about the future.

I'm still willing to give the kid a chance. A better line, which he didn't have. A little more time learning, and hopefully, he'll be the future. But since the Bills have a shot at the playoffs now, let him ride the pine for a bit.