Before we get all gooey Spikes was merely OK

It seems to be the popular conventional wisdom right now for even the Bills faithful to wail and lament about the loss of Spikes near halftime of game 3 and to try to pin the huge failings of the run D on having to depend on Crowell, but though I think Spikes was certainly a legit and deserving Pro Bowler last year. I actually found his play (and the rest of the D) really lacking in game 2 where Cadillac and the rest of TB ran over Spikes and our D. Before his injury against AT, there were a couple of plays where I found Spikes performance actually downright embarassing.

The prime example was the play where Spikes got so busy using his brain to direct traffic he forgot to use his talented body to make plays. He had his back turned to Vick as he directed the set and Vick got off a quick snap and hit the receiver breaking through the space where Spikes was standing flat-footed as he turned and got a critical first down.

2-1/2 games do not a season make but between the way he and his colleagues were used and abused against TB and the double digit runs peeled off by Warrisk Dunn before Spikes went out, this team;s run D problems did not begion with the loss of Spikes but preceeded them.

having the young Crowell foes not make things better and obviously losing a Pro Bowler for a third year guy with little more than ST experience is a drop-off in play. However, good teams suck it up and deal with losing good players so this is not a good excuse even if Spikes had been performing well, but he wasn't in his last game and a half (like all players he had a good game against the hapless Texans, but even in this game he did not put up the gaudy stats one expects from a Pro Bowler.

Like it or not, Spikes ain't comin' back this season so the only option is to deal with it. Crowell has not been adequate yet, but this youngster is getting better with playing time and having roughly split time with Spikes as far as PT, it is a good sign to already see him lurching ahead of Spikes in INTs produced, equalling him in sacks produced in 2005 and getting lots more tackles than Spikes produced in the same number of starts.

Its tough to lose Spikes and difficult to "replace" a Pro Bowler but I think that he can be substituted for and this team can be as productive without him as with him. In fact, w were so bad in production against the run with him it yesterday's debacle against Curtis Martin is about the same as had become the norm for the D this year.

Giddy after two home wins by a total of 16 points over also-rans? :blink:

478343[/snapback]

"Also rans" who happened to beat Carolina, Tampa, and Denver? I'm not giddy yet, but I'm more than a little pleased.

I think that most opposing quarterbacks always made sure they knew were Spikes was lined up before the snap. That could have been out of respect or fear for the potential hit coming their way. Either way he was a presense on the field. Crowell certainly isnt there yet. Will he become that force? Hopefully the answer is yes but it sure would be nice to have Spikes back just incase the answer is no.

The prime example was the play where Spikes  got so busy using his brain to direct traffic he forgot to use his talented body to make plays.  He had his back turned to Vick as he directed the set and Vick got off a quick snap and hit the receiver breaking through the space where Spikes was standing flat-footed as he turned and got a critical first down.

Blaming Spikes for TV not knowing where to lineup...?

That was just a smart play by Vick -- he saw that the Bills defense wasn't aligned properly and did a quick snap. Not really Spike's fault.

The fact that everyone on Buffalo's defense is STILL talking about Spikes and his impact leads me to believe that he was a bit more important than you're giving him credit for. :blink:

CW

...I think Spikes was certainly a legit and deserving Pro Bowler last year.

478339[/snapback]

And yet the title of this thread says:

Spikes was merely OK

Which one was it? Was he a "legit Pro Bowler," or "merely OK"? :blink:

Well, I am too! :blink:

But after years of being left at the alter... ;)

478360[/snapback]

As much as I can appreciate what you're saying (and I think I can), you've been through it more often than some young buck like me! :blink::D

Before his injury against AT, there were a couple of plays where I found Spikes performance actually downright embarassing.

The prime example was the play where Spikes got so busy using his brain to direct traffic he forgot to use his talented body to make plays. He had his back turned to Vick as he directed the set and Vick got off a quick snap and hit the receiver breaking through the space where Spikes was standing flat-footed as he turned and got a critical first down.

You might want to relook at what happened on that play. As opposed to being embrassed by Spikes giving up a key first down, you might discover that Spikes actually saved a touchdown.

If Spikes ahd simply focused his attention on the play in front of him there was still no way he was going to get out into a passing lane to defend that quick throw. The result would have been a touchdown as Spikes watched the receiver walk into the endzone before the out of position safety could recover.

Instead, Spikes was alert that his teammates were not properly aligned and by alerting them to that fact, he got the safety moving toward his responsibilty which enabled him to get over and make the tackle before the goalline and prevent the sure touchdown.

And regardless of how you analyze it, there is no way to reasonably rationalize that "he can be substituted for and this team can be as productive without him as with him."

Crowell will not draw the attention away from his teammates the way Spikes does, he will not physically intimidate opponents teh way Spikes does, he will not create dangerous pressure on QB's the same way Spikes can, he will not force fumbles the way Spikes does, he will not physically dominate the POA like Spikes does, he will not energize and lead his teammates or the crowd the way Spikes does, he will not astutely recognize game situations the way Spikes does, and regardless of his very fine interception yesterday he is not likely to match Spikes 5 picks, 11 passses defended, 3 forced funbles and 2 TD's of a year ago.

I don't mean to disparage him at all, but he's just not dynamic enough to consistently do the kind of game-impacting things that Spikes does and as a result the D is not going ot be as productive.

Cya

Not sure that it was shown or mentioned on TV, but there was a nice little gesture by the Bills before the game. They brought Spikes out on a cart and he was an honorary captain at the game for the coin flip. He stood up on crutches with the other captains at mid-field, and then they carted him off and the hell out of the way, probably to a box to watch the game. It didn't mean much, or anything, but it was a nice little mini-moment.