A Few Thoughts About The Game....

1) The "cat is out of the bag" about McGee. The kid keeps improving, and sportscasters are talking about him. I hope that the Bills can extend him during the season because I am afraid that he will get big offers as a RFA. Isn't this how Parcels got Martin?

2) I don't know exactly what was wrong with CV, but he appears cured. He was pushing defenders around and even turning them around on running plays.

3) Schobel didn't have big numbers yesterday but he provided steady pressure and played a good game imo.

4) Denney is a sack machine! :w00t: Seriously, he gets better every week and he is another guy that I wish we could lock up before he is a UFA.

5) OK, I was scared when MW gave up the sack, but he recovered and played a fine game against a very good pair of DEs.

6) Sorry, but MM was correct to bring in Holcombe. This is now painfully obvious. With KH in there, the running game DID lead to other options. The situation will work itself out.

7) I am not saying that the Bills run defense will resemble the 86 Bears, but there is reason to think that it will not improve. Take away those long runs by Martin, and they didn't do so bad.

8) Perhaps I am wrong, but it really seems that when Milloy has a good game, the Bills almost always win.

9) To those who can, listen to the jests fans/Joe Beningo today on WFAN. You will be belly laughing.

10) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7) I am not saying that the Bills run defense will resemble the 86 Bears, but there is reason to think that it will not improve. Take away those long runs by Martin, and they didn't do so bad.

477860[/snapback]

This has always been a pet peeve of mine…

Take away the long runs? Why would you do that? Points come out of big plays in this league. In just about every game this year the Bills given up long runs that have cost them. So if we just took away all the long runs the D has had against them this season we have a good run defense? Maybe if we could just get the NFL to agree to not give the opponents any points on series which they had long runs you'd be on to something. :w00t:

As for your comments on the Bills Oline, I agree completely. The right side of this line had a great game yesterday, MW in particular. Not only did he move his man consistently, he sustained the blocks and allowed Willis the opportunity to cut back and take the ball where the play wasn't designed to go. People shouldn't forget to mention Gandy either, this guy has gone from the biggest question mark on the line to our most consistent performer. People bashed the hell out of TD for bringing Gandy in to replace Jonas but he's done the job thus far.

Take away the long runs?  Why would you do that?  Points come out of big plays in this league.  In just about every game this year the Bills given up long runs that have cost them.  So if we just took away all the long runs the D has had against them this season we have a good run defense?  Maybe if we could just get the NFL to agree to not give the opponents any points on series which they had long runs you'd be on to something.  :w00t:

As for your comments on the Bills Oline, I agree completely.  The right side of this line had a great game yesterday, MW in particular.  Not only did he move his man consistently, he sustained the blocks and allowed Willis the opportunity to cut back and take the ball where the play wasn't designed to go.  People shouldn't forget to mention Gandy either, this guy has gone from the biggest question mark on the line to our most consistent performer.  People bashed the hell out of TD for bringing Gandy in to replace Jonas but he's done the job thus far.

477897[/snapback]

Okay, don't take them away. After the first long run, they managed two more yards and got a field goal out of it. After the second long run, we intercepted the ball on the next play. Despite all the holes, the Bills' D gave up 14 points yesterday (I count the interception return to the 2 as an "automatic 3." If the D had somehow held them without points it would have been extraordinary. I might be asking too much in "charging" 4 points against the D for that, but I'm trying to be fair). If an offense is "imposing its will" on a D, doesn't it follow that many points would come with it?

Take away the long runs?  Why would you do that?  Points come out of big plays in this league.  In just about every game this year the Bills given up long runs that have cost them.  So if we just took away all the long runs the D has had against them this season we have a good run defense?  Maybe if we could just get the NFL to agree to not give the opponents any points on series which they had long runs you'd be on to something.  :w00t:

As for your comments on the Bills Oline, I agree completely.  The right side of this line had a great game yesterday, MW in particular.  Not only did he move his man consistently, he sustained the blocks and allowed Willis the opportunity to cut back and take the ball where the play wasn't designed to go.  People shouldn't forget to mention Gandy either, this guy has gone from the biggest question mark on the line to our most consistent performer.  People bashed the hell out of TD for bringing Gandy in to replace Jonas but he's done the job thus far.

477897[/snapback]

THIS one I agree with you on. Its like in baseball when a manager says "outside of those four home run pitches, my pitcher threw GREAT!!!"

1) The "cat is out of the bag" about McGee. The kid keeps improving, and sportscasters are talking about him. I hope that the Bills can extend him during the season because I am afraid that he will get big offers as a RFA. Isn't this how Parcels got Martin?

477860[/snapback]

Willis wont be a RFA. RFA's are rookies that have 3 years experience and their contract is up. RFA's are usually mid round draftees that have signed a 3 year rookie contract. After your 3rd season, you can be tendered as a RFA. Any longer contracts than that, as per the usual of 1st and 2nd round picks, and the player will never be a RFA. When the rookie contract runs out, he becomes a UFA, ala Clements this season. Hope this helps.

But i agree, we need to extend him this offseason. At some point, we need to shell out some big $$$ to keep some marquee players.

Okay, don't take them away.  After the first long run, they managed two more yards and got a field goal out of it.  After the second long run, we intercepted the ball on the next play.  Despite all the holes, the Bills' D gave up 14 points yesterday (I count the interception return to the 2 as an "automatic 3."  If the D had somehow held them without points it would have been extraordinary.  I might be asking too much in "charging" 4 points against the D for that, but I'm trying to be fair).  If an offense is "imposing its will" on a D, doesn't it follow that many points would come with it?

477940[/snapback]

I agree, yesterday the D recovered well after the big plays, but if teams are consistently getting big plays against us you can't count on that always happening. This D is allowing 158 yards per game and 5.3 yards per carry (which is good for worst in the league). I don't care how teams are getting the yards, it needs to stop and soon. If this team has any hopes of winning the division the run D has got to be shored up.

477897[/snapback]

I know what you mean, but if there ever could be a "soft" 148 yards, I am thinking that this is what we saw from Martin yesterday.

The gaps that he ran through looked as if they were a result more of the all out blitz then they were the skill of Martin or poor defensive play. Truthfully, a younger back may have taken at last one of them for a TD.

This win cannot be understated. I really do know that it is early, etc., but I am thinking that with a home loss to the divisional rival jests, our season would have been all but over.

I hope that Gray can make some adjustments as the Bills struggle to compensate for defensive losses, mainly TKO. Yesterday, I must say that I was a bit encouraged.

3) Schobel didn't have big numbers yesterday but he provided steady pressure and played a good game imo.

4) Denney is a sack machine!  :w00t:  Seriously, he gets better every week and he is another guy that I wish we could lock up before he is a UFA.

477860[/snapback]

It was nice to see the DL end up with a good number of tackles. That's important - stops made early in the play.

Take away the long runs?  Why would you do that?  Points come out of big plays in this league. 

477897[/snapback]

No argument there, but outside of those 2 runs for 90 yards, Martin didn't run roughshod all over us.