Teddy Kennedy helps rescue fisherman

Yeah, it's really unlike law enforcement to turn a blind eye to transgressions by the political or fiscally elite - especially in the Northeast.

478508[/snapback]

...or Southeast or Southwest or Northwest or Midwest.

Regardless of the political affiliation of the driver, drunk driving fatalities back then were "accidents," not manslaughter, weren't they?. Wasn't it the early eighties or so before DUI/DWI stopped being anything more than a slap on the wrist? Not that it's relevant to the thread per se, but I'm just curious...

Had to get the Laura shot in, didn't you?

478380[/snapback]

What, no one else thinks a teenager running a stop sign and t-boning another car is the same as a 37 year old man getting drunk, putting his car in the water, leaving a girl there, then spending the rest of the night covering his tracks? Tough crowd.

BTW, it was a nice try Ted. Winds at 35mph, waves up to 5ft - in a 13ft boat? Not me.

By all means, lets debate Chappawhatsit, give you guys on the right an argument you can win. Better than talking about Iraq, or Rovegate, or Delaygate, or Miers, or the economy, or gas prices, or the deficit, or Fristgate, or Abramoffgate, or the Dover monkey trial.

What's next, a rousing round of rhetoric over the Tea Pot Dome scandal? Or maybe we can all take sides on the "Tippecanoe and Tyler too" thing. I think bib was actually around then so he can give us the details. CTM probably did his thesis on it. Mine was in biology, I entitled it "Multiple Orgasm: myth, reality or miracle?" The research was hell. :D

What, no one else thinks a teenager running a stop sign and t-boning another car is the same as a 37 year old man getting drunk, putting his car in the water, leaving a girl there, then spending the rest of the night covering his tracks? Tough crowd.

478624[/snapback]

Nice.

By all means, lets debate Chappawhatsit, give you guys on the right an argument you can win.  Better than talking about Iraq, or Rovegate, or Delaygate, or Miers, or the economy, or gas prices, or the deficit, or Fristgate, or Abramoffgate, or the Dover monkey trial.

What's next, a rousing round of rhetoric over the Tea Pot Dome scandal? Or maybe we can all take sides on the "Tippecanoe and Tyler too" thing.  I think bib was actually around then so he can give us the details.  CTM probably did his thesis on it.  Mine was in biology, I entitled it "Multiple Orgasm: myth, reality or miracle?"  The research was hell. :D

478793[/snapback]

OK,

Rove Nothing there. Miller says she can't remember who told her about Plame. Besides Plame wasn't a spy at the time and no law applied to be broken.

Delay- Earle has no evidence! Says he doesn't have the list he is basing the case on!

OK,

Rove  Nothing there. Miller says she can't remember who told her about Plame. Besides Plame wasn't a spy at the time and no law applied to be broken.

Delay- Earle has no evidence! Says he doesn't have the list he is basing the case on!

478852[/snapback]

You should submit an affidavit to the Judge overseeing the Grand Jury in the Rove case and share with the court your exculpatory analysis so they stop wasting their time. I'll be happy to draft it for you at a substantially discounted hourly rate. :D

Seriously, with respect to the Plame investigation, indictments or non-indictments are a day or two away apparently so a little patience and we will all have a lot more meat to chew on than we have now. For all I know, I am going to be indicted. This is one prosecutor who nows how to run a leak proof investigation, you have to give him that much.

If I could tolerate reading anything about He Who Must Not Be Named, I would but I break out in hives just looking at him so, on Doctor's orders, I have to refrain. W

If you thought it was bad, imagine how your poor dog Rufus felt.

478860[/snapback]

Don't remind me, the vet is soooo po'd that I haven't had him fixed yet. You'd think it was his couch Rufus was humping. What is it about vets and getting dogs fixed? "First, do no harm" isn't that the first rule of medicine? With my vet, its "First, cut off their balls".

I heard you got a "D" when you found out that masturbating four times a day didn't constitute multiple orgasms.  :D

478874[/snapback]

Look, I'm flattered and all, really I am. Even so, you have got to stop having these fantasies about me, it's starting to creep me out. :blink:

Don't remind me, the vet is soooo po'd that I haven't had him fixed yet.  You'd think it was his couch Rufus was humping.  What is it about vets and getting dogs fixed?  "First, do no harm"  isn't that the first rule of medicine?  With my vet, its "First, cut off their balls".

479160[/snapback]

This might help with his self esteem....

Like an old friend

....but I'm thinking that the emotional scars from your research project will linger. Next time, at least get a female dog.

Let me guess at the coming responses.... "That's different."

478137[/snapback]

From a google search:

At the inquest Judge James Boyle raised doubts about Kennedy's testimony. He pointed out that as Kennedy had a good knowledge of Chappaquiddick Island he could not understand how he managed to drive down Dyke Road by mistake. For example, on the day of the accident, Kennedy had twice had driven on Dyke Road to go to the beach for a swim. To get to Dyke Road involved a 90-degree turn off a metalled road onto the rough, bumpy dirt-track.

An investigation at the scene of the accident by Raymond R. McHenry, suggested that Kennedy approached the bridge at an estimated 34 miles (55 kilometres) per hour. At around 5 metres (17 feet) from the bridge, Kennedy braked violently. This locked the front wheels. According to McHenry: "The car skidded 5 metres (17 feet) along the road, 8 metres (25 feet) up the humpback bridge, jumped a 14 centimetre barrier, somersaulted through the air for about 10 metres (35 feet) into the water and landed upside-down."

Investigators found it difficult to understand why he was crossing Dyke Bridge when he said he was attempting to reach Edgartown which was in the opposite direction. They also could not understand why he was driving so fast on this unlit, uneven, road. They also could not work out how Kennedy escaped from the car. When it was recovered from the water all the doors were locked. Three of the windows were either open or smashed in. If Kennedy, a large-framed 6 foot 2 inches tall man could manage to get out of the car, why was it impossible for Mary JO Kopechne, a slender 5 foot 2 inches tall, not do the same?

Local experts could not understand why Kennedy (and later, Markham and Gargan) could not rescue Kopechne from the car. It also surprised investigators that Kennedy did not seek help from Pierre Malm, who only lived 135 metres from the bridge. At the inquest Kennedy was unable to answer this question.

There were also doubts about the way Kopechne died. Dr. Donald Mills of Edgartown, wrote on the death certificate: "death by drowning". However, Gene Frieh, the undertaker, told reporters that death "was due to suffocation rather than drowning". John Farrar, the diver who removed Kopechne from the car, claimed she was "too buoyant to be full of water". It is assumed that she died from drowning, although her parents filed a petition preventing an autopsy.

Other questions were asked about Kennedy's decision to swim back to Edgartown. The 150 metre channel had strong currents and only the strongest of swimmers would have been able to make the journey safely. Also no one saw Kennedy arrive back at the Shiretown Inn in wet clothes. Ross Richards, who had a conversation with Kennedy the following morning at the hotel described him as casual and at ease.

Kennedy did not inform the police of the accident while he was at the hotel. Instead at 9am he joined Gargan and Markham on the ferry back to Chappaquiddick. Steve Ewing, the ferry operator, reported Kennedy in a jovial mood. It was only when Kennedy reached the island that he phoned the authorities about the accident that had taken place the previous night.

Dr. Robert Watt, Kennedy's family doctor, explained his patient's strange behaviour by claiming he was in a state of shock and confusion and "possible concussion."

Don't remind me, the vet is soooo po'd that I haven't had him fixed yet.  You'd think it was his couch Rufus was humping.  What is it about vets and getting dogs fixed?  "First, do no harm"  isn't that the first rule of medicine?  With my vet, its "First, cut off their balls".

479160[/snapback]

I never had my Berner "fixed" either, and I don't recall the Vet ever lobbying for it. Maybe your's wants the practice, or the fee, or maybe the Vet's on a kooky crusade to save the world from the evils of swinging dog sacks.

My motto:

He came in with 'em. Let him leave with 'em.