Ejector rod on a S&W .357

mcjeff215

I bought a S&W .357 Mag (Model 686, 4") about four months ago. I checked it fairly well at the shop. I had it out for the second time today and noticed that the ejector rod has a bit of a wobble. Does anyone know how much that can hurt accuracy? Is it something I should take in to get straightened out? I can do so on the way to work, if it's worth the hassle....

Dunno where else to ask... I'm sure any gun shop I call will simply say, "Bring 'er on it! We're cheap!"

Thanks,

Jeff

In my experience, gunsmiths are for the most part pretty honest. They are generally REALLY busy, so if your problem is not affecting your gun he won't try and fix it.

I doubt it's affecting accuracy, though. I'd be alot more concerned about it jamming when you need it because of this particular malfunction.

In my experience, gunsmiths are for the most part pretty honest.  They are generally REALLY busy, so if your problem is not affecting your gun he won't try and fix it.

I doubt it's affecting accuracy, though.  I'd be alot more concerned about it jamming when you need it because of this particular malfunction.

476635[/snapback]

Cool, thanks. Other than that, it's a great gun. I may just take it in for the heck of it. By far the nicest one I own.

-Jeff

I bought a S&W .357 Mag (Model 686, 4") about four months ago.  I checked it fairly well at the shop. I had it out for the second time today and noticed that the ejector rod has a bit of a wobble.  Does anyone know how much that can hurt accuracy?  Is it something I should take in to get straightened out? I can do so on the way to work, if it's worth the hassle....

Dunno where else to ask... I'm sure any gun shop I call will simply say, "Bring 'er on it! We're cheap!"

Thanks,

Jeff

476556[/snapback]

Nice firearm. That mdl has a full shroud around the rod.

How much is "a bit of a wobble"? I'd think that any wobble would not matter once the cylinder is brought into battery. I'm certainly not sure.

You might want to call a gun shop to find out if they carry your model, and check the play on a new revolver for comparison.

My father has the same model. Excellent gun. It's got some kick when you first try it, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad. Many of the 9mm peashooters suck for stopping power, and a lot of police departments are finding that out; you shoot something with that .357 once and it's going down.

Called him up b/c he knows everything and reads all of the gun mags cover to cover. He basically reiterated stuckincincy's post, a little confused by how it might wobble when in place. Said you probably should take it to the gunsmith and have him check it out. The vast majority of those guys won't play grabass and if there's nothing wrong, I doubt they'd charge you.

And *ahem*, just to make sure, you'll need to buy a few boxes of ammo and test it out at the range. Any excuse you can get, man. :huh:

Yeah, I like the gun quite a bit. I've got a P89 9mm as well and I really enjoy shooting the .357 much more, it feels so much more solid. The 9mm almost feels like a toy now.

By wobble... with the cylinder out, give it a spin, it's apparent that the rod isn't straight as you can see it "wobble" with the spin. The cylinder still spins freely, but it's there. I'll take it up to the place I bought it before work one of these days and have 'em give it a look over.

I had it out this morning which is when I really noticed it.

-Jeff