Broncos Caught Screwing With Salary Cap

Mark VI

The explanation is not all that clear. Looks like this goes back to a period between 1996-98. Had something to do with defering parts of players salaries while accruing interest and agreeing not to waive a player before a certain date.

I guess they supposedly did this to move $$ back towards funding the building of Invesco Field, the new Denver Stadium which opened in 2001. The NFL has been investigating this for some time. The people responsible for this no longer work for the Broncos, according to the Buffalo News. ( Isn't Pat Bowlen, the owner, still responsible ? ).

Sounds like this could have been a lot worse. This was a settlement, which has been worked on for some time.

Don't criticize me if I'm wrong here but aren't the infractions between 6 and 8 years old? Why did it take so long to investigate this? Who is investigating this, the same law enforcement people handling the Jon Benet case?

Okay, so I was being a bit facetious there but if I remember correctly, the Niners had some salary cap issues themselves back in the early to mid 90's and were caught within a year and I thought that they had lost a 1st rounder along with cash. I might be wrong here but I'm thinking that Bowlen has some pull with the commissioner. Just my thoughts. :D

The explanation is not all that clear. Looks like this goes back to a period between 1996-98.  Had something to do with defering parts of players salaries while accruing interest and agreeing not to waive a player before a certain date.

I guess they supposedly did this to move $$ back towards funding the building of Invesco Field, the new Denver Stadium which opened in 2001. The NFL has been investigating this for some time. The people responsible for this no longer work for the Broncos, according to the Buffalo News. ( Isn't Pat Bowlen, the owner, still responsible ? ).

Sounds like this could have been a lot worse. This was a settlement, which has been worked on for some time.

34607[/snapback]

didnt they win the super bowl back in 1998 and 1999. if they found that they broke the rules, and lied to get under the cap without cutting anyone, dont they deserve to forfit there wins? and the superbowl win too???

i think the penatly is a slap on the wrist.....

2 superbowl rings for a 1 million dollar fine and a 3rd round pick?? i'd take that deal every time.....

league should have made an example of them and hit them with 2 first rounders and more cash........i'm sure alot of teams are still doing the same things (there just smart enough not to get caught), and considering how easy denver got off, more teams may join in as well......

Guest Answer Man

It does not appear to be salary cap related but fianancing related. I heard something about this in regarding Elway and how they paid him; he was supposed to be getting an option on a share of team along with deference of salary but Broncos never communicated this to league and then the Broncos could only pay him the money owed him. It is the reason why Elway turned down offers to work for Broncos.