More about the SBVT

Dr. K

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are apparently unaware of what the governor of Texas is which is basically a figurehead, kind of like the Queen of England.  He only achieved that based on his name.  What did he accomplish before that?  Oh, I forgot, he failed in the businesses he was set up in by his dad's cronies, he did manage that.  In fact, his status as a political non-entity is what made him so attractive to the party apparatchiks.  He had no discernible record to stand in the way of their molding him to fit the polls.  The result was the invented to get elected "compassionate conservative". 

Bush's only measurable success befor becoming governor was to complete a 12 step program or two.  Whoopee.

2416[/snapback]

Was Bush senior ever governor of Texas? I don't think he was. So is he related to his predesessors Ann Richards, Bill Clements, or Mark White? I understand he was re-elected in a landslide by the people of Texas, the ones in the best position to determine his performance. Earth to Mickey...slow that space ship down as you are about completely break free of the earth's gravity. And there may be no coming back dude.

You are apparently unaware of what the governor of Texas is which is basically a figurehead, kind of like the Queen of England.  He only achieved that based on his name.  What did he accomplish before that?  Oh, I forgot, he failed in the businesses he was set up in by his dad's cronies, he did manage that.  In fact, his status as a political non-entity is what made him so attractive to the party apparatchiks.  He had no discernible record to stand in the way of their molding him to fit the polls.  The result was the invented to get elected "compassionate conservative". 

Bush's only measurable success befor becoming governor was to complete a 12 step program or two.  Whoopee.

2416[/snapback]

I think you are right... Doesn't the LT. Gov in Texas really run the show? I know it is the opposite of Illinois, where the LT. here basically does nothing.

Am I right?

2416[/snapback]

That's an interesting point.

Given what we know about George W. Bush, is there anyone who serious believes that Bush could have risen to become governor of Texas (nevermind President!) without his family connections? Of course not. If George Bush's father had been a used car salesman, George would probably be an middle manager, or a blue collar worker somewhere. He'd lead a rather insignificant life.

John Kerry, on the other hand, is a self-made man. While his parents were certainly well-off, they weren't politically active or well connected. They were absent most of the time while Kerry's was growing up. Kerry's father was a pilot in the Air Corps and later a diplomat in the foreign service, and so Kerry spent much of his childhood in boarding school. Kerry didn't have family members to pull strings for him in Vietnam, in his law career or in his political career. He earned his way to the top.

Bill Clinton is another self-made man. His family wasn't rich. His father died when he was very young and he grew up with an abusive, alcoholic step-father. Yet he overcame all that.

Kerry and Clinton are living examples of the widely held American belief that anyone, no matter what their circumstances, can grow up to be President if they are talented enough and work hard.

George Bush is a living example of how money and politics, rather than talent and hard work, can put a man in the White House.

Given what we know about George W. Bush, is there anyone who serious believes that Bush could have risen to become governor of Texas (nevermind President!) without his family connections?  Of course not.  If George Bush's father had been a used car salesman, George would probably be an middle manager, or a blue collar worker somewhere.  He'd lead a rather insignificant life. 

John  Kerry, on the other hand, is a self-made man.  While his parents were certainly well-off, they weren't politically active or well connected.  They were absent most of the time while Kerry's was growing up.  Kerry's father was a pilot in the Air Corps and later a diplomat in the foreign service, and so Kerry spent much of his childhood in boarding school.  Kerry didn't have family members to pull strings for him in Vietnam, in his law career or in his political career.  He earned his way to the top. 

Bill Clinton is another self-made man.  His family wasn't rich.  His father died when he was very young and he grew up with an abusive, alcoholic step-father.  Yet he overcame all that.

Kerry and Clinton are living examples of the widely held American belief that anyone, no matter what their circumstances, can grow up to be President if they are talented enough and work hard. 

George Bush is a living example of how money and politics, rather than talent and hard work, can put a man in the White House.

3361[/snapback]

[crickets from the right]

Well said.

Given what we know about George W. Bush, is there anyone who serious believes that Bush could have risen to become governor of Texas (nevermind President!) without his family connections?  Of course not.  If George Bush's father had been a used car salesman, George would probably be an middle manager, or a blue collar worker somewhere.  He'd lead a rather insignificant life. 

John  Kerry, on the other hand, is a self-made man.  While his parents were certainly well-off, they weren't politically active or well connected.  They were absent most of the time while Kerry's was growing up.  Kerry's father was a pilot in the Air Corps and later a diplomat in the foreign service, and so Kerry spent much of his childhood in boarding school.  Kerry didn't have family members to pull strings for him in Vietnam, in his law career or in his political career.  He earned his way to the top. 

Bill Clinton is another self-made man.  His family wasn't rich.  His father died when he was very young and he grew up with an abusive, alcoholic step-father.  Yet he overcame all that.

3361[/snapback]

That is right... And I even go on the stretch that it was LOOKS that got Reagan noticed. I really respect his humble roots, showed awesome drive, worked tirelessly hard... Yet, when he went to CA to do the Rose Bowl game from Iowa (I think that is how it went)... Wasn't he noticed and the quote was "We have the next Robert Taylor here".

Looks and money go along way people! Should it... I guess? But, don't cloud our thinking that it was all hard work... That too helps, yet, too often doesn't go along way of getting your foot in the door. Truly sad. :D

:rolleyes::D

He was also a CEO of a company that employed lots of people.  Experience in both government and industry.

2212[/snapback]

Now that's a joke, he ran that company into the ground, As a young salesman who worked for him in Midland Texas,, I can say he failed as a leader and was quite

the typical prick boss.

[crickets from the right]

Well said.

3405[/snapback]

It's a myth that a self-made man is admired. All Americans want to have royalty. How dare a man work hard and raise himself up? ESPECIALLY HIGHER THAN ME?! Well, I can't stand for that, I gotta bring him down down down.

Who am I? Half the posters on this board from what I have observed. People with delusions of grandeur and connection and power who, let's face it, don't have and never will have what it takes to get to the top.

Me? I'm happy with where I am and if a man or woman can be a world-beater based on their own hard work, sacrifice and skill I say go for it. That's the American dream. I'm living my own version. It's just sorry that so many people are so discontented that they only feel good when bringing others down.

It's a myth that a self-made man is admired. All Americans want to have royalty.  How dare a man work hard and raise himself up?  ESPECIALLY HIGHER THAN ME?!  Well, I can't stand for that, I gotta bring him down down down.

Who am I?  Half the posters on this board from what I have observed.  People with delusions of grandeur and connection and power who, let's face it, don't have and never will have what it takes to get to the top.

Me?  I'm happy with where I am and if a man or woman can be a world-beater based on their own hard work, sacrifice and skill I say go for it.  That's the American dream.  I'm living my own version.  It's just sorry that so many people are so discontented that they only feel good when bringing others down.

4181[/snapback]

I hear you brother!

3361[/snapback]

You Guys Kill me.....

How many people you know that are self made had a father who was a diplomat and attended boarding schools? No connections made there huh? How does a person who is not politically connected become a diplomat?

Get Real.... The guy is very well connected with the left... has been for quite some time... Ted Kennedy ring a bell? Thank God he married money!!

:rolleyes::D:D

John  Kerry, on the other hand, is a self-made man. 

First let me agree with the point that Kerry has done a great deal on his own and that he deserves credit for it. Prior to politics he had certainly accomplished more than Bush.

But 1960 is totally right about the diplomat thing.

And more importantly for Kerry - he married two very wealthy women. Without either of these women's fortunes he would not be the nominee today.

Kerry had next to nothing before he married Heinz. If it wasn't for her $ he wouldn't have been able to mortage his boston townhouse which gave him the $$$ he needed to keep his campaign going this winter.

I was listening to the radio on the way back from work Friday, to an excerpt from a Kerry speech earlier that day. The subject was economy, job creation specifically. Kerry somehow worked in a reference to shrapnel left in his leg from Veeid Nahhm. Isn't it time for these guys to let go? I've spoken to a few democrats (they are abundant here) and except for one, they all seem a little embarrassed by this constant mantra. Maybe it's because we have so much military here, but there seems to be a little concern around the DC area democratic camp that Mr. Kerry needs to find something new to talk about.

To think people actually believe, let alone write this stuff. How Clinton and Kerry can be used in the same sentence when they are almost complete opposites in their life experiences and ideology within the liberal spectrum :rolleyes: . How someone can accuse Bush of being the one driven by money and politics when he is the only one who is not a career politician/married into affluency among the three :D .

NONE of these guys are examples of the widely held American belief mentioned. They are ALL examples of the amount of politics you need to play and money you have to get behind you to even have a shot at being President.

To think people actually believe, let alone write this stuff.  How Clinton and Kerry can be used in the same sentence when they are almost complete opposites in their life experiences and ideology within the liberal spectrum :rolleyes: .  How someone can accuse Bush of being the one driven by money and politics when he is the only one who is not a career politician/married into affluency among the three  :D

NONE of these guys are examples of the widely held American belief mentioned.  They are ALL examples of the amount of politics you need to play and money you have to get behind you to even have a shot at being President.

4529[/snapback]

1. Bush didn't have to marry into affluence. He was born into it. Like the old line about his father goes, he was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

2. Bush most certainly is, or wanted to be, a career politician; he was running for Congress even before his father ran for the 1980 presidential nomination. He lost, which is the only reason he had to be a bidnessman for the next ten or fifteen years.

3. I agree that Kerry had more advantages than the average Joe Blow. But he's been working hard his whole life. Not like a guy who was a legacy admit at Yale, got gentleman's C's there, got into S&B because his daddy and grandpappy were tapped there, used connections to get into the National Guard and flight school, used connections to get discharged early without even showing up for his final year, got set up in the awhl bidness with millions of dollars of his family friends' money, failed miserably at that, acted like he was the principal owner of the Rangers even though he owned 2% of the team (and that thanks to stakes that others put up for him), and, well, the list it does go on. Maybe calling Kerry a self-made man isn't quite accurate... unless you hold him up next to George Dubya Bush. Then Kerry looks like the protagonist in a Horatio Alger story.

1. Bush didn't have to marry into affluence.  He was born into it.  Like the old line about his father goes, he was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

2. Bush most certainly is, or wanted to be, a career politician; he was running for Congress even before his father ran for the 1980 presidential nomination.  He lost, which is the only reason he had to be a bidnessman for the next ten or fifteen years.

3.  I agree that Kerry had more advantages than the average Joe Blow.  But he's been working hard his whole life.  Not like a guy who was a legacy admit at Yale, got gentleman's C's there, got into S&B because his daddy and grandpappy were tapped there, used connections to get into the National Guard and flight school, used connections to get discharged early without even showing up for his final year, got set up in the awhl bidness with millions of dollars of his family friends' money, failed miserably at that, acted like he was the principal owner of the Rangers even though he owned 2% of the team (and that thanks to stakes that others put up for him), and, well, the list it does go on.  Maybe calling Kerry a self-made man isn't quite accurate... unless you hold him up next to George Dubya Bush.  Then Kerry looks like the protagonist in a Horatio Alger story.

4752[/snapback]

Continuing to defend Mr. Kerry is the equivalent of putting frosting on a piece of crap and passing it off as birthday cake (in Vietnam).

America is going to get what it deserves in this election - regardless of which of these party's holds the executive branch when it's over. It's an embarrassment that so many continue to hold on to incompetence and graft while pretending it's leadership and guile.

I agree that Kerry had more advantages than the average Joe Blow. But he's been working hard his whole life.

Kerry has been a Senator for the last 19 years. What is the job of a Senator? Attending session, drafting legislation, voting on legislation, participating on committees, etc... Do you honestly think Kerry has been a hard working Senator?

As I stated earlier:

NONE of these guys are examples of the widely held American belief mentioned.  They are ALL examples of the amount of politics you need to play and money you have to get behind you to even have a shot at being President.

1. Bush didn't have to marry into affluence.  He was born into it.  Like the old line about his father goes, he was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

2. Bush most certainly is, or wanted to be, a career politician; he was running for Congress even before his father ran for the 1980 presidential nomination.  He lost, which is the only reason he had to be a bidnessman for the next ten or fifteen years.

3.  I agree that Kerry had more advantages than the average Joe Blow.  But he's been working hard his whole life.  Not like a guy who was a legacy admit at Yale, got gentleman's C's there, got into S&B because his daddy and grandpappy were tapped there, used connections to get into the National Guard and flight school, used connections to get discharged early without even showing up for his final year, got set up in the awhl bidness with millions of dollars of his family friends' money, failed miserably at that, acted like he was the principal owner of the Rangers even though he owned 2% of the team (and that thanks to stakes that others put up for him), and, well, the list it does go on.  Maybe calling Kerry a self-made man isn't quite accurate... unless you hold him up next to George Dubya Bush.  Then Kerry looks like the protagonist in a Horatio Alger story.

4752[/snapback]

I love the mantra of the left.... Yeah But..... :rolleyes::D:D

Archived