An 8th grade education...

erynthered

what is a bushel? are they serious?

anyways that test was way too americanized. we have a global economy now. was  foreign language a part of their curriculum? did they know what a meter was? did they know the french had a revolution? are they able to locate the alps? the dead sea? can they even locate germany?

i'm glad our educators realized along the way that there is land/water and people outside of the good ol' U.S. of A.

i also notice there is no biology among those tests either. i had to learn biology in middle school. so no i can't answer every question on that test, an no i don't feel like they knew more than i do. thanks for pointing that test out though, it was interesting to look at.

475929[/snapback]

Are you serious... A unit of dry measure... You know a bushel of apples.

My father would say: "I love you a bushel and a peck."

Do you know how many pecks in a bushel?

:o

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a song from the music man.

ok wise guy.. how many gallons in a bushel? no looking it up now.

and now how many liters in a kiloliter?

475941[/snapback]

a gallon is a liquid measurement isnt it? Bushels are a dry measurement. 3.66 litres in a gallon

475941[/snapback]

Aaaaaa... Let me see... 8 quarts in a peck... 4 pecks in a bushel... 4 quarts in a gallon.... so that is:

Ahhhhhhhhh... 8 gallons?

That would make sense since 1 gallon weighs about 8 pounds... So one bushel weighs 64 pounds... Easy enough to lift by your average worker.

What is the OSHA limit today... About 40 pounds? :o:D

:D:D

hey, let the man figuere that out on his own.

not that i have any clue why you need a measurement for dry and wet things. what is the difference?

475951[/snapback]

I would have figured it out a minute after your post but I was sucked into JustEatCrayonz post and was debating if I really should send my reply.

Upon further review (and constraint), I opted not to transmit it to the board.

:o

hey, let the man figuere that out on his own.

not that i have any clue why you need a measurement for dry and wet things. what is the difference?

475951[/snapback]

Liquid measurement is done by volume. You dont buy gas by .38 a pound. Its all very confusing I admit. A pound of feathers weighs more then a pound of gold because Britain uses the avoirdupois system-feathers would me measured in Troy pounds.. A troy pound is more then an American pound :o

Liquid measurement is done by volume.  You dont buy gas by .38 a pound.  Its all very confusing I admit.  A pound of feathers weighs more then a pound of gold because  Britain uses the avoirdupois system-feathers would me measured in Troy pounds..  A troy pound is more then an American pound  :o

475965[/snapback]

Liquid units:

-fluid ounce

-gill

-pint

-quart

-gallon

Dry units:

-pint

-quart

-peck

-bushel

Pound is not listed. But why cant I buy a bushel of gas and a gallon of rice?

Liquid measurement is done by volume.  You dont buy gas by .38 a pound.  Its all very confusing I admit.  A pound of feathers weighs more then a pound of gold because  Britain uses the avoirdupois system-feathers would me measured in Troy pounds..  A troy pound is more then an American pound  :o

475965[/snapback]

Thanks... I am just a lay person though.

I was arguing how much liquid would actually fit into bushel.

I don't imagine a full bushel of anything (mostly water and farm goods) weighing over 70 pounds?

How would you lift it?

Now gold? Probably the reason for the two systems?

Liquid units:

-fluid ounce

-gill

-pint

-quart

-gallon

Dry units:

-pint

-quart

-peck

-bushel

Pound is not listed. But why cant I buy a bushel of gas and a gallon of rice?

475974[/snapback]

Because Pound is a unit of weight, not a unit of volume.

As to Pete's answers, I found it amusing he got the trick question right, but the simple question wrong! Answer for #2 is 1000 liters in a kiloliter.

As to Pete's answers, I found it amusing he got the trick question right, but the simple question wrong!  Answer for #2 is 1000 liters in a kiloliter.

475984[/snapback]

3.785411784 L in a Gallon.

He said "without looking". I was close- not sure where I got the 3.66 litres from

I asked about a bushel, not a pound, why can't I have a bushel of milk?

As to Pete's answers, I found it amusing he got the trick question right, but the simple question wrong!  Answer for #2 is 1000 liters in a kiloliter.

Is that proof that he cheated and looked it up?

475941[/snapback]

it is a lyric from a song from "Guys and Dolls" by Frank Loesser. "Guys and Dolls" took place in NYC. The Music Man is by Meredith Wilson and took place in Iowa.