Duke Preston

ans4e64

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it is a very interesting situation......

Lets face it....When Mike is healthy he is a pretty good RT...BUT...we are paying him a kings ransom and have other players we need to sign.  He needs to take a paycut this next offseason.  For now I say he is still the RT of now and the future (German is AWFUL)

I think that the OL of next year will be:

LT - ? (it is either going to be a vet or a #1 draft pick (I hope)

LG - Mike Gandy

C - Duke Preston

RG - Ben Anderson

RT- Mike Williams

Reasons being:

- Mike Gandy is a better guard then center

- We drafted Preston as a pure center

- Ben Anderson is a beter RG then a LG

475339[/snapback]

So does everyone think Chris Villarrial is done...or gone? He's not a free agent next year, I don't think.

Did Vilarial get hit by a bus or something?

He's the best guard on the team, under contract for next year as far as I know and I haven't even seen him mentioned in this thread.  :lol:

475404[/snapback]

Didn't notice your comment before I made mine. :lol:

Since he's not mentioned in this thread, I guess old CV is gone. <_<

I agree. I've watched Duke closely and even if he was a 10 year vet I'd say he was playing really well - perhaps the best of the lot. He looks like a great find, and the scouting dept. deserves some credit. Middle round gems like him and Terrence McGee (who I believe is going to be considered Great in time) cannot be denied.

I agree. I've watched Duke closely and even if he was a 10 year vet I'd say he was playing really well - perhaps the best of the lot. He looks like a great find, and the scouting dept. deserves some credit. Middle round gems like him and Terrence McGee (who I believe is going to be considered Great in time) cannot be denied.

475443[/snapback]

TD sucks, dude. Haven't you been paying attention? <_<

Here is another fact.

Teague was arguably the Bills best, most consistent OLineman last year.

Does that one suck, too?

475392[/snapback]

If the definition of consistent is getting pushed back into DB's face most every play, I'd agree. When Tucker was in at C, and he was a backup, the O started clicking, Bledsoe had more time, and the running game hit a stride.

Actually, CV was the best OLman last year. And after MW got on track in the last half, he was holding his own.

The fact that TT was our third best OLman doesn't just suck, it's telling of the source of our problems the past 10 years.

If the definition of consistent is getting pushed back into DB's face most every play, I'd agree. The fact that TT was our third best OLman doesn't just suck, it's telling of the source of our problems the past 10 years.

Apparently we were watching different games.

And you might want to do a quick check on the difference between fact and opinion.

Mike Gandy has been better than Jonas jennings.  Mike Gandy is a good LT when healthy.

Just because the guy was released from the Bears doesnt mean he couldnt play.  He was injured, he never lost his job do to his play.  He is a solid LT.

If he keeps it up all year, I would sign him long term. 

This team needs 2 solid OG's next year and I wouldnt mind 2 talented rookies.

Gandy, OG, Preston, OG, and Williams.  That is the makings of a young talented OL, If TD can fill those 2 OG's next year.

475402[/snapback]

i disagree with your assessment of gandy.......the bills have been consistently leaving their TE in pass protection to give gandy help......when they haven't given him help he has struggled (see the two sacks by jason taylor last week -- on back to back 3rd down drive killers)........he's also been flagged for holding twice this season, which is 2 more times then jennings was called ALL of last season.......

gandy is not the long-term answer at LT......he's a stop gap, and an average one at that.....he'd be better suited as a backup or challenging for a guard spot......

I really like the kid and to be honest with you from what I've seen so far he has been more effective than Chris V. This line still has a long way to go before it can be called "Good." It should have been done a long time ago. You see that's how most teams work. They find a glaring weakness and address it in the draft or free agency but not TD. Oh BTW for those who sarcastically say "TD Sucks" your finally seeing the light after drifting in mediocrity and no playoffs for 6 fugin years.

It should have been done a long time ago. You see that's how most teams work. They find a glaring weakness and address it in the draft or free agency but not TD.

So it was just a figment of my imagination when TD spent draft picks on Mike Williams, Jonas Jennings, Duke Preston, Marques Sullivan, Ben Sobieski and several other OLineman?

And I was just hallucinating when he gave free-agent bucks to Chris Vilarial, Trey Teague, Mike Gandy, Jason Peters, Marcus Price, Bennie Anderson and several others.

So I guess these 11 offensive linemen that I thought TD added to the Bills weren't real?

Gee, I really hope he finally addresses the OLine soon. He's been ignoring it too long. :o

So it was just a figment of my imagination when TD spent draft picks on Mike Williams, Jonas Jennings, Duke Preston, Marques Sullivan, Ben Sobieski and several other OLineman?

And I was just hallucinating when he gave free-agent bucks to Chris Vilarial, Trey Teague, Mike Gandy, Jason Peters,  Marcus Price, Bennie Anderson and several others.

So I guess these 11 offensive linemen that I thought TD added to the Bills weren't real?

Gee, I really hope he finally addresses the OLine soon. He's been ignoring it too long.  :o

475718[/snapback]

But, but, but, we should sign Ogden and Pace, because they're, uh, good.

TD sucks! :D

We need to draft a Lineman (if there is not a pure pass rusher available) in the first round next year. If not the first, then definitely the second round.

We also need to pick up a stud off of Free Agency. We should have the money, because I don't see us keeping Clements (tear).

RT- Mike Williams (if he can hold up)

RG- Bennie Anderson (or Geisenger)

C- Duke Preston

LG- Future #1 pick (or Veteran stud)

LT- Future #1 pick (or Veteran stud)

Gandy and Vallariel should be backup.

And I was just hallucinating when he gave free-agent bucks to Chris Vilarial, Trey Teague, Mike Gandy, Jason Peters,  Marcus Price, Bennie Anderson and several others.

Gee, I really hope he finally addresses the OLine soon. He's been ignoring it too long.  :o

475718[/snapback]

Are you trying to argue that TD has done an adequate job of addressing the OL? :D

Are you trying to argue that TD has done an adequate job of addressing the OL?  :o

475735[/snapback]

It depends on your definition of adequate.

If you're one of those guys who flips out every time you see a lineman beat and are convinced he sucks, yet never watches otehr teams but are still convinced they're all much better, and won't be happy until we have the '78 Raiders OLine up front, then of course it hasn't been adequate, and it never will be because your expectations are simply not in line with reality.

If you're somebody who recognizes that in the salary cap NFL a team has limited resrources to address unlimited problems, and that the Bills front office has been adding about 3 guys a year trying to find the right combination, then yeah I'd say they've done a decent job trying to address it.

I'm sure you'll find something to rail against, but I don't think this OLine is nearly as bad as most of the town criers out there.

Cya

We need to draft a Lineman (if there is not a pure pass rusher available) in the first round next year.  If not the first, then definitely the second round.

We also need to pick up a stud off of Free Agency.  We should have the money, because I don't see us keeping Clements (tear).

RT- Mike Williams (if he can hold up)

RG- Bennie Anderson (or Geisenger)

C- Duke Preston

LG- Future #1 pick (or Veteran stud)

LT- Future #1 pick (or Veteran stud)

Gandy and Vallariel should be backup.

475731[/snapback]

Just don't see it happening, unless the staff really decides CV can't hack it. If he can stay healthy, he needs to be the starting RG. I think we're stuck with Bennie and looking for a tackle, likely in rounds 1-2, and hoping to re-sign Clements. If we lose, there will be a giant drop-off, more substantial than the gains we would stand to make with two vs. one new linemen. McGee is proving to be decent, but we'll get torn up with Greer, Thomas, King, or some rook back there.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that Jerman needs to be sent packing. That guy sucks like an Electrolux.

Edit: and what are the chances we can pay for a premier tackle (where we'll likely overpay) vs. a premier corner (Nate, we'll overpay but he's a known entity entering his prime). What's the diff? Better to draft the tackle, and stick with the rest of the hand we've got.