Which Refs are worst

What sports has the worst refs  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What sports has the worst refs

• NFL
    • MLB
    • Other (please name 'em)

This poll question stems from a comment about a bad call last night in the MLB game (which was moved correctly by a moderator as it was a baseball thang in football season).

I did take the time to respond to it though with a more football directed response where as bad as the MLB refs are, I still think the NFL refs deserve special note and a place in heck for their efforts. Do folks agree and if not which refs are episodically or consistently worse and why?

Commnt on moved post- I don't know about this comparison, there are certainly moronic judgment calls in both and all games, but certainly blowing the call on the coin flip which Phil Luckett did in the NFL (and in a George Tenet Medal of Freedom kind of way was then promptly awarded by the NFL for his "excellence" by being given playoff duty- talk about cronyism) gets a special place in the Ref Hall of Shame.

I vote for NFL refs being the worst in sports in terms of these part-timers being consistently wrong and also having the worst episodes of idiocy. ---

Tough call. What I'd say is MLB umps should be held a lot more accountable for mistakes as there is never so much action going on that one of the 4-6 guys on the field can't get the call right.

Football, while officiated by larger crews, is such a fast-paced, bang-bang type of game with a lot of bodies doing a lot of different things at once. Even though it's excruciating to watch missed/wrong calls, they are more understandable than last night's shenanigans.

I said it in the other thread though, tentative calls and reversed or "double" calls such as the one last night are the worst kind one can make as an official.

My NFL vote is purely based on how many times the Bills have gotten screwed over the years.

474854[/snapback]

Agreed...NFL refs have tougher jobs but I still think they're worse.

The worst thing about the baseball game last night was the bold faced lies by the ump and his boss after the game. "I didn't call him out" (he did). "The replay was inconclusive" (it wasn't). Good God, admit you screwed up.

I didn't vote because according to another thread people who vote on internet polls have no life. :)

474872[/snapback]

True. You can hang out and post on a message board. That's cool, but don't vote in polls. That's the truest sign that you have no life.

My NFL vote is purely based on how many times the Bills have gotten screwed over the years.

474854[/snapback]

Not to rub salt in old wound, you remember the pats bills game in 98...........Bills leading the game late in the fourth quarter, drew throws a hailmary in the endzone, terry glenn jumps up along with bills defenders for the ball, incomplete.....Wait , a yellow flag is tossed?, thats right, defensive interference called on a hailmary? Yep, pats get a first down on the goal line and drew tosses a touchdown to coates....The best part was wade phillips pulls his team off the field before the extra point is kicked... meanwhile end of game is in limbo , so the crowd leaves foxborough stadium, then finally pats lineup for the extra point, and toss a 2 point conversion,succesfully........Of course the bills never came out of the locker room to defend the extra point attempt....This was shown on tv up in newengland, the cameras showed a empty stadium, as the play unfolded...Wins a win, plus the extra points were needed just in case of settling a tie to get in the playoffs....WHOOOOOOOOO, were the bills steamed especially reed? any way that was a :) good game.......

I find NBA officials to be the worst...by far.

With that said, I have a big problem with many MLB umpires. They are FAR too confrontational. They scream and yell at managers and players. They're the officials, they should not be involved in these screaming debates...they should merely walk away. They have all the power, there is no need to get involved in an argument.

When Roberto Alomar spit on the ump, it was bad...but I put the blame primarily on the ump. He followed Alomar around screaming at him. WTF was that?

Oh...and another thing. The strike-zone is well documented. There is no need for individual interpretation. Just call it AS WRITTEN. All will be fine.

There's been a lot said about the part-time status of NFL officials and I agree they should be full-time. But I think the biggest problem with some NFL officials is they are just too damn old. C'mon the guy who got blasted in the Bills game last week looked to be pushing 60.

True.  You can hang out and post on a message board.  That's cool, but don't vote in polls.  That's the truest sign that you have no life.

475074[/snapback]

Makes sense to me.

Then I'll vote for college hoops refs. The bigger the game the more fouls are called, and I'm not talking about flagrant fouls, I'm talking Mickey Mouse sh--. The same stuff they have let go all year long until two high ranked opponents meet. Drives me nuts.

Wow. Not one mention of the NHL yet. Overall, I think the accuracy of the calls is the best in MLB, understanding that each plate umpire will call a slightly different strike zone that the players need to learn. But, I think MLB being the best is mostly a statement about their job design, not the refs' inherent quality.

NHL refs/linesmen often miss calls, but they are in a very challenging position, moreso I think than any other major sport. I'm hesitent to say they are the worst (tho it sure is fun to boo them! <_<)

As for the NFL... they are far from the best, and I distinctly think they are getting progressively worse over the last couple decades.

The NBA may have the worst refs today, but don't watch enough to give any specifics.

Wow.  Not one mention of the NHL yet.  Overall, I think the accuracy of the calls is the best in MLB, understanding that each plate umpire will call a slightly different strike zone that the players need to learn.  But, I think MLB being the best is mostly a statement about their job design, not the refs' inherent quality.

NHL refs/linesmen often miss calls, but they are in a very challenging position, moreso I think than any other major sport.  I'm hesitent to say they are the worst (tho it sure is fun to boo them! <_<)

As for the NFL... they are far from the best, and I distinctly think they are getting progressively worse over the last couple decades.

The NBA may have the worst refs today, but don't watch enough to give any specifics.

475322[/snapback]

What's "NBA". Isn't that the thing that just won't go away? Sort of like herpes?