The perfect article

BuffalOhio

I couldn't agree more with this article. It all starts up front, my friends.....

Article Location

Buffalo Bills

Believe it or not: Bills don't miss Bledsoe

By Connor Byrne ; 10/13/05

Despite a red hot start that is making Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Drew Bledsoe look better than ever, his ex-team, the Buffalo Bills, don’t miss him. It's true that the Bills' starting quarterback duo of J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb have combined for just 2 touchdown passes and 2 interceptions, leading many Bills fans to begin missing Bledsoe’s cannon arm. Why? Because Bledsoe has looked tremendous so far this season throwing for 10 touchdowns, 1,351 yards, and a QB rating of 102.0.

After seeing the stats for Bledsoe and for the Bills' two quarterbacks, you must think I'm crazy for saying the Buffalo Bills shouldn’t miss him. The reason the Bills shouldn’t miss him has to do totally with offensive line play. The Cowboys have assembled a solid offensive line that has been above average and given Bledsoe time in the pocket. When he has time, Bledsoe is among the best quarterbacks in football because he's blessed with an incredible arm.

The Cowboys have started the year 3-2 and Bledsoe has been sacked just 10 times. If he was in Buffalo, his passing numbers and sack totals would be far worse. That's a given considering Buffalo's atrocious offensive line. In his three years in Buffalo, Bledsoe was sacked a total of 140 times. It's true that some of the sacks were his fault but most of them were not. With an offensive line that bad, one wonders whether the likes of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady could have even succeeded over that time span. So far this season, the Buffalo Bills' line has surrendered 13 sacks during the team's 2-3 start. It could be a far larger number had it not been for quarterback J.P. Losman's ability to escape the rush during his four starts. Last week, new starter Kelly Holcomb was brought down 3 times in his Bills' debut. If Bledsoe was still with the Bills, he probably would have been sacked 20 times by now. With his lack of mobility combined with the Bills' poor line, he should be thrilled that he was cut by the team in February.

Thus, Buffalo doesn't miss Bledsoe because they would not be getting anything out of him. Cowboys' coach Bill Parcells knows exactly how to utilize his strengths and their offensive line has been really good so far. If he was still in Buffalo, Bledsoe would have continued to be public enemy number one even though his struggles should have been directly attributed to the offensive line.

I couldn't agree more with this article.  It all starts up front, my friends.....

Article Location

Buffalo Bills

Believe it or not: Bills don't miss Bledsoe

By Connor Byrne ; 10/13/05

Despite a red hot start that is making Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Drew Bledsoe look better than ever, his ex-team, the Buffalo Bills, don’t miss him. It's true that the Bills' starting quarterback duo of J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb have combined for just 2 touchdown passes and 2 interceptions, leading many Bills fans to begin missing Bledsoe’s cannon arm. Why? Because Bledsoe has looked tremendous so far this season throwing for 10 touchdowns, 1,351 yards, and a QB rating of 102.0.

After seeing the stats for Bledsoe and for the Bills' two quarterbacks, you must think I'm crazy for saying the Buffalo Bills shouldn’t miss him. The reason the Bills shouldn’t miss him has to do totally with offensive line play. The Cowboys have assembled a solid offensive line that has been above average and given Bledsoe time in the pocket. When he has time, Bledsoe is among the best quarterbacks in football because he's blessed with an incredible arm.

The Cowboys have started the year 3-2 and Bledsoe has been sacked just 10 times. If he was in Buffalo, his passing numbers and sack totals would be far worse. That's a given considering Buffalo's atrocious offensive line. In his three years in Buffalo, Bledsoe was sacked a total of 140 times. It's true that some of the sacks were his fault but most of them were not. With an offensive line that bad, one wonders whether the likes of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady could have even succeeded over that time span. So far this season, the Buffalo Bills' line has surrendered 13 sacks during the team's 2-3 start. It could be a far larger number had it not been for quarterback J.P. Losman's ability to escape the rush during his four starts. Last week, new starter Kelly Holcomb was brought down 3 times in his Bills' debut. If Bledsoe was still with the Bills, he probably would have been sacked 20 times by now. With his lack of mobility combined with the Bills' poor line, he should be thrilled that he was cut by the team in February.

Thus, Buffalo doesn't miss Bledsoe because they would not be getting anything out of him. Cowboys' coach Bill Parcells knows exactly how to utilize his strengths and their offensive line has been really good so far. If he was still in Buffalo, Bledsoe would have continued to be public enemy number one even though his struggles should have been directly attributed to the offensive line.

474780[/snapback]

This has been the Bills problem since 94 but the average fan will always blame the QB........

SSSSHHHHH ! Don't tell anyone. It's Bledsoes and Losmans fault. One can't move and the other is too young.

What are Teague and Bennie Anderson smoking ? They believe they have been doing good things out there and this is the best the line has played in four year according to the article in Rochester this morning. :)

The only thing that they miss in the article is the good pass-catching tight-end. From what little I've watched of the Cowboys, Bledsoe has been dialing up Witten's number quite a bit. Of course the Bills miss having a good pass-catching tight end in part because they usually need to stay in and block to help cover for the bad O-Line...(and also because, as mentioned before, ours seem to be made of glass...).

All of you wait - I don't care what Bledsoe or his line is doing now.  Let's see how he does outdoors in November and December (and January, if they make it).

474843[/snapback]

I don't know Coach. With Parcells, and a history of playing on cold weather teams, I don't see why this should be a big factor.

Truthfully, I think that the article makes sense.

I don't know Coach. With Parcells, and a history of playing on cold weather teams, I don't see why this should be a big factor.

Truthfully, I think that the article makes sense.

474851[/snapback]

What about Belicheck, who couldn't wait to get rid of Drew? I just have my doubts - I could be wrong, but we'll see. I will admit that our o-line sucks ass, but Drew's problem last year was his decision making (specifically in the Pittsburgh game), and it was the same problem he had in New England in big games (esp. on the road). As many New England fans have told me - it was amazing how all of a sudden New England's o-line was incredible as soon as Drew was gone.

What about Belicheck, who couldn't wait to get rid of Drew?  I just have my doubts - I could be wrong, but we'll see.  I will admit that our o-line sucks ass, but Drew's problem last year was his decision making (specifically in the Pittsburgh game), and it was the same problem he had in New England in big games (esp. on the road).  As many New England fans have told me - it was amazing how all of a sudden New England's o-line was incredible as soon as Drew was gone.

474865[/snapback]

Drew and his contract were expendable after Tom Brady showed the team that he could lead them just as good as any 10 year overpriced vet could. I'm sure Belicheck didn't want to get rid of Bledsoe, but with the elimination of his cap number they were free to spend that money elsewhere.

What about Belicheck, who couldn't wait to get rid of Drew?  I just have my doubts - I could be wrong, but we'll see.  I will admit that our o-line sucks ass, but Drew's problem last year was his decision making (specifically in the Pittsburgh game), and it was the same problem he had in New England in big games (esp. on the road).  As many New England fans have told me - it was amazing how all of a sudden New England's o-line was incredible as soon as Drew was gone.

474865[/snapback]

I know that Drew has limitations. I was refering to what you said about playing in the cold. A guy who has the kind of arm strength as does Drew would be less impacted by the elements, or one would think.

Really, I don't know what to expect from Drew this year. I am a little surprised that he is doing SO well as of now.

I think that the point of the OP was that Drew wouldn't be doing as well here, and I think this is probably true.

Drew and his contract were expendable after Tom Brady showed the team that he could lead them just as good as any 10 year overpriced vet could.  I'm sure Belicheck didn't want to get rid of Bledsoe, but with the elimination of his cap number they were free to spend that money elsewhere.

474887[/snapback]

Besides, Bledsoe in Belichick's system was square peg/round hole.

The article really summed up the Bills and what they could/could not with Bledsoe.

I know that Drew has limitations. I was refering to what you said about playing in the cold. A guy who has the kind of arm strength as does Drew would be less impacted by the elements, or one would think.

Absolutely true, but if Drew is protected then look out. The guy can still gunsling.

Dallas's starting OL....

LT Flozell Adams (2nd Rd pick Cowboys) 6'7", 343

LG Larry Allen (2nd Rd pick Cowboys) 6'3" 325

C Al Johnson (2nd Rd pick Cowboys) 6'5" 296

RG Marco Rivera (6th Rd pick Packers) 6'4" 310

RT Rob Petitti (6th Rd pick Cowboys) 6'5" 347

These guys are all homegrown except Rivera, all massive, huge blockers, that can protect Drew and give him the time he needs. Now, will he probably self destruct in a road playoff game, yeah, likely, but still...he's playing damn well right now and MAY get Dallas into the playoffs.

Besides, Bledsoe in Belichick's system was square peg/round hole.

Same with Mularkey's (with the short passes) and for that matter Killdrive (throw every down). If we had a decent OL, it just may have worked. But thats been the core of the problem with this team in the entire TD era. Just try to get by with the line and focus on the skill guys. I hope that changes this year, cause without that line being fixed, there will be no SB's for Buffalo...ever. :)

Dallas's starting OL....

LT Flozell Adams (2nd Rd pick Cowboys) 6'7", 343

LG Larry Allen (2nd Rd pick Cowboys) 6'3" 325

C Al Johnson (2nd Rd pick Cowboys) 6'5" 296

RG Marco Rivera (6th Rd pick Packers) 6'4" 310

RT Rob Petitti (6th Rd pick Cowboys) 6'5" 347

These guys are all homegrown except Rivera, all massive, huge blockers, that can protect Drew and give him the time he needs.  Now, will he probably self destruct in a road playoff game, yeah, likely, but still...he's playing damn well right now and MAY get Dallas into the playoffs.

475061[/snapback]

It has nothing to do w/ the line. Bledsoe just plays better for Parcells than he does for anyone else. Parcells found that missing spark in Drew and is exploiting it now for the benefit of the team. Dallas' line isn't that much better than our line. I don't know why everyone is getting all caught up in the line. If Losman or Holcomb just plays as well as Drew is now, then we'll be okay.

i just find it ironic that one of the guys who is giving bledsoe the kind of protection he never saw in buffalo is marco rivera........as we all know, he was a free agent last off-season when we had a huge vacancy at our starting LG position......however, we didn't appear to show any interest as he was never brought in for a visit.......

he is obviously protecting bledsoe well, he's (at least in the games i've seen) winning his battle in the running game, and only has one false start on the season.....not to mention adding valuable leadership.......

our choice, big bennie, has two false starts to go along with a holding call, is doing a good job in the running game but is getting toasted in pass protection.....

i just wonder how things would have been different this season if rivera was on the bills and anderson on the cowboys........i think considerably different for both teams.......

i just wonder how things would have been different this season if rivera was on the bills and anderson on the cowboys........i think considerably different for both teams.......

I couldn't agree more, I was one of the guys screaming for Rivera or Wahle to be signed ASAP by the Bills. But again, TD decided to "get by."

It has nothing to do w/ the line.  Bledsoe just plays better for Parcells than he does for anyone else.  Parcells found that missing spark in Drew and is exploiting it now for the benefit of the team.  Dallas' line isn't that much better than our line.  I don't know why everyone is getting all caught up in the line.  If Losman or Holcomb just plays as well as Drew is now, then we'll be okay.

475066[/snapback]

The exact same thing happened when drew got here. He lit up the league his first 8 games here. Then it just trailed off.

Guest BackInDaDay
Only because Parcells wasn't here to exploit that spark from Drew.

475097[/snapback]

Rich, I think you're onto something regarding the Parcells/Bledsoe relationship.

Maybe the 'spark' you refer to is created because of Parcells' familiarity with Drew's strengths and weaknesses. By knowing what coverages and blitz packages Bledsoe struggles against, Parcells has a good idea how an opposing coach will defend him. He won't have the perfect match-up every down, but this definately gives him a leg up in helping out his QB.

BTW - This is one of the things our coaches are missing out on. They aren't getting the opportunity to becomes familiar with JP's strengths and weaknesses (Flame away :) ). When coaches have a body of work to look at, they get a better idea how to put their QB in the best situations to succeed. Developing a QB is a combined effort. People on this board write about 'let him learn', referring to JP's demotion to backup. Fine, but now what exactly are the coaches learning about him, except that can roll with the punches?