Is Big Mike gonna play anytime soon?

KRT88

Have you seen people running by Roy Williams the last couple years? He's beginning to look like a pylon on a Nascar track.

We only had two options to escape the first round of that draft without terribly overpaying for a high pick.

One was to intentionally tank our game vs. Carolina and end up with Peppers at #2, instead they were the ones who ran for the busses in the 2nd qrtr.

The second was to trade down, but apparently nobody wanted to move up into the top of that crappy draft.

We picked the wrong year to purge the roster and it's not Mike Williams' or TD's or Greg Williams' or anybody else's fault.

Cya

475574[/snapback]

what about a third option -- trading up??........we only would have had to move 2 spots to get peppers.......

what about a third option -- trading up??........we only would have had to move 2 spots to get peppers.......

475635[/snapback]

Maybe he tried it, it's impossible to tell. I guess we could just ask obie-wan since he was obviously in the war room that day. <_<

I doubt Carolina would have even considered it though. They were in the perfect spot with no desire to move into our crappy spot. Unless we were going to cough up next year's first just to move up two spots, there was probably no way it could have been done.

You don't think Peppers is worth an extra #1 ?

475651[/snapback]

I won't speak for Simon, but I think he was easily worth it. But then again I have hindsight to use with this. Like he said, maybe we tried and were denied.

Simon, you make all together too much sense in this thread.  :lol:

475648[/snapback]

So should I ignore the PM I just got from somebody who "knows ten times more football than you or 99% of this board" and who has to "dumb it down for people like you." :lol:<_<

475651[/snapback]

Yeah, he probably is/was. But it likely would have cost a lot more than that.

Didn't somebody just recently give a mint to the Chargers to move up 3 spots?

Have you seen people running by Roy Williams the last couple years? He's beginning to look like a pylon on a Nascar track.

We only had two options to escape the first round of that draft without terribly overpaying for a high pick.

One was to intentionally tank our game vs. Carolina and end up with Peppers at #2, instead they were the ones who ran for the busses in the 2nd qrtr.

The second was to trade down, but apparently nobody wanted to move up into the top of that crappy draft.

We picked the wrong year to purge the roster and it's not Mike Williams' or TD's or Greg Williams' or anybody else's fault.

Cya

475574[/snapback]

No, I haven't paid a great deal of attention to him :o , but he and Freeney are the only guys on our radar screen besides Peppers are the only two that I've heard were any good at all. 20-20 hindsight is great, but Levi wasn't even supposed to be taken as high as he was.

Overall though I agree with you about assignment of fault. Ther is no such thing as a sure fire in the draft.

475651[/snapback]

So you're saying we should have stuck with Van Pelt at QB and found a way to keep Fina (renegotiate to deal with his Butler-era Cap-killing contract) in order to get Peppers?...and that's assuming the cost would have been only one more #1...

There was a couple guys picked later that may have been better selections, but not many.

John Henderson was picked around #10, and uhhhh, ......uhhhh, ....uhhhhh, OK so that's all I can think of.

It was just a tough year to be in that situation. Looking it up, if it was a year earlier we probably would have ended up with LTomlinson or Richard Seymour, who were taken at #5 and #6. If it was a year later we might have got Kevin Williams or Jordan Gross or DeWayne Robertson or Terrell Suggs or Byron Leftwich, all of whom went between #4-#10.

Instead 2002 was the year the "Bills'" came due so we got the shaft.

Cya