Leafs', Sabres, Sharks & The New NHL

Dante

I get get over how much the NHL has improved FINALLY!!!!!! What I have been crying for for over 10 years has at long last been put into action. Enforcing the existing fricken rules and, gee, who'd a thunk it, entertaining hockey! NHL Center Ice is the bargain of the year for me if this keeps up. My TV remote is taking a beating trying to keep up with the Sharks, Leafs and Sabres. All playing exciting hockey. Toronto's two games vs the Sen's were classics both ending in shootouts. On Saturday night the Sharks got into a fantastic shootout with St Louis winning 7-6. Usually this time of year 70pct of my sports interest is still in the NFL but those numbers are reversed this year. NFL cant hold a candle to the NHL when the NHL is done right. JMHO

Does anyone else think the shootouts are overkill?

I like pretty much all of the rule changes/enforcement... except that blasted shootout. Its a gimmick and everybody knows it.

474288[/snapback]

nope, i love the shootout and have been calling for it for years...ties are gay, and they arent any fun. Someone once said that a tie is "like kissing your sister...yah you get kissed, but its your sister, man" Penalty is a great way to decide the winner of a regular season game. Soccer has their penalty kicks which in the exact same concept.

I like pretty much all of the rule changes/enforcement... except that blasted shootout. Its a gimmick and everybody knows it.

474288[/snapback]

At first I thought the same conner. But when the shootouts occur, everyone is watching. Something like fights. Generally, I like to say and think fights in the NHL are barbaric and I never watch them. That isnt reality though. I always check out the fight and so does everyone else. What are you going to do? Just give in to your natural violent cromagnan roots I guess.

nope, i love the shootout and have been calling for it for years...ties are gay, and they arent any fun. Someone once said that a tie is "like kissing your sister...yah you get kissed, but its your sister, man" Penalty is a great way to decide the winner of a regular season game. Soccer has their penalty kicks which in the exact same concept.

474301[/snapback]

So you don't like ties. I have no problem with that. My questions are: why not have them play overtime to decide tie games like most every other sport? Do you think football should be decided by fieldgoal contests or baseball by homerun derbys? If not, why should a hockey game be decided by a single subsidiary individual skill? It is a team sport, shouldn't the game be decided by the teams?

Someone once said that a tie is "like kissing your sister...yah you get kissed, but its your sister, man"

That someone was Topper Harley.

"Playing to lose is like sleeping with your sister. Sure she's a great piece of tail with a blouse full of goodies, but it's just illegal. Then you get into that whole inbred thing. Kids with no teeth who do nothing but play the banjo... eat apple sauce through a straw... pork farm animals. "

474288[/snapback]

Hate them. Also don't understand why a game that goes to a shootout is worth three points (2 to the winner, one to the loser) but a real win is only worth 2.