The Further Erosion Of Hyper-Sensitive PC America

Mark VI

I'm sure God was holding his breath on the outcome of this high school football game, or any game for that matter.

It's like when Ron Artest thanks God in a postgame interview for his 20 points and 11 rebounds. The reporter should ask, "Ron, when you refer to God, do you mean Phil Knight at Nike?"

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why make the hypothetical something absurd?  If the coach was Muslim and wanted the primarily MUSLIM team to face Mecca and pray to Allah to give them fortitude and the grace to win with sportsmanship and dignity, I would have no problem with it at all.

If the coach is calling the other team infidels and asking Allah to smite them, shouldn't that be a hate crime?  Oh, my bad, only white Christians can commit hate crimes.  :doh:

Your hypothetical has little or nothing to do with the present situation.  The coach has said grace at the pregame meal and a pregame prayer for 23 years.  Over 50 members of the team support him.  (How many kids are on a highschool football team anyway?)  There are a handful of parents/students that "feel uncomfortable".  They get their way because the religion of Atheism is the only one acceptable to secularists.  I don't know the prayers the coach was saying, but considering he's done it for nearly a quarter of a century with NO ONE complaining, I have to assume that they were probably rather nondenominational (this is New Jersey, not somewhere in the heart of the Bible belt). How do I know no one ever complained before? Because the pinheads on the school board didn't stop him in the past!

474017[/snapback]

You're right, my hypothetical situation was absurd. But what if the Muslim coach wanted his team of mostly Christians to say a prayer to Allah before the game? My point is that most people feel a team prayer is ok as long as it is similar to their religion.

I think that most Christians would like to have prayer in school as long as it is a Christian prayer. The Founding Fathers wanted a separation of Church and State back when most religions were just different flavors of Christianity. Is it no less important now that there are all kinds of religions and many different gods that people pray to.

Here's another absurd hypothetical...Let's say Bush decides to become a Muslim and decides to funnel his Faith-Based Initiative dollars to Muslim charities. Would Christians have a problem with this?

I'm sure God was holding his breath on the outcome of this high school football game, or any game for that matter. 

It's like when Ron Artest thanks God in a postgame interview for his 20 points and 11 rebounds.  The reporter should ask, "Ron, when you refer to God, do you mean Phil Knight at Nike?"

474024[/snapback]

If both teams pray for a victory, does God give it to the team that prays the loudest? :doh:

You're right, my hypothetical situation was absurd.  But what if the Muslim coach wanted his team of mostly Christians to say a prayer to Allah before the game?  My point is that most people feel a team prayer is ok as long as it is similar to their religion.

I think that most Christians would like to have prayer in school as long as it is a Christian prayer.  The Founding Fathers wanted a separation of Church and State back when most religions were just different flavors of Christianity.  Is it no less important now that there are all kinds of religions and many different gods that people pray to.

Here's another absurd hypothetical...Let's say Bush decides to become a Muslim and decides to funnel his Faith-Based Initiative dollars to Muslim charities.  Would Christians have a problem with this?

474278[/snapback]

As long as we are on absurd hypotheicals, how about one more? Suppose a liberal, while trying to make a point, stayed on topic and didn't resort to the sophistry of using absurd hypotheticals to make his point? Nah, too absurd and hypothetical. Sorry, my bad. :doh:

You're right, my hypothetical situation was absurd.  But what if the Muslim coach wanted his team of mostly Christians to say a prayer to Allah before the game? 

474278[/snapback]

Wanted is the key word here. I don't think anyone is forced to do anything in your hypothetical or in the real situation. You can ask me to do something and if I don't want to, I don't participate. What is wrong with saying no thanks, you do what you want, I'll just abstain for now. Those religion out of gov't people drive me nuts. And that's coming from a person who hasn't been to church other than a wedding in probably 30 years.

What is wrong with saying no thanks, you do what you want, I'll just abstain for now.  Those religion out of gov't people drive me nuts.  And that's coming from a person who hasn't been to church other than a wedding in probably 30 years.

474358[/snapback]

Thank you, my good chef. My point exactly. I'm not religious at all but my reaction to the prayer would be silence and respect to a good intention. Doesn't bother me whatsoever nor would something so trivial inspire me to grandstand about my " rights ". Utter nonsense.

May you enjoy a bottle of good Château La Mondotte Saint-Emilion 1996, with your pickled retatta..

Thank you, my good chef. My point exactly. I'm not religious at all but my reaction to the prayer would be silence and respect to a good intention. Doesn't bother me whatsoever nor would something so trivial inspire me to grandstand about my " rights ".  Utter nonsense.

May you enjoy a bottle of good Château La Mondotte Saint-Emilion 1996, with your pickled retatta..

474365[/snapback]

Tell you what, you find (and pay for :doh: ) a bottle of that you can forget the retatta. I'll cook (and pay for :blush: ) whatever you want. And I mean anything!

Wanted is the key word here.  I don't think anyone is forced to do anything in your hypothetical or in the real situation.  You can ask me to do something and if I don't want to, I don't participate.  What is wrong with saying no thanks, you do what you want, I'll just abstain for now.  Those religion out of gov't people drive me nuts.  And that's coming from a person who hasn't been to church other than a wedding in probably 30 years.

474358[/snapback]

Kids wield no power and are influenced and controlled by the adults in their life.

Just as a teacher shouldn't take a political angle with the kids they are teaching...

We are talking about kids here. Can they really say no thanks to a person that wields power over them?

The younger, the worse it is and more influenced they are.

Tell you what, you find (and pay for  :doh: ) a bottle of that you can forget the retatta.  I'll cook (and pay for  :blush: ) whatever you want.  And I mean anything!

474370[/snapback]

Intriguing. I like expensive dishes with 38 DD's. Just heat and serve.

Time to hit Premiers' rare wine room.

Kids wield no power and are influenced and controlled by the adults in their life.

Just as a teacher shouldn't take a political angle with the kids they are teaching...

We are talking about kids here.  Can they really say no thanks to a person that wields power over them?

474380[/snapback]

Give me a friggen break! These are high school football players. I'm tired of the left thinking that just because they're a bunch of brain dead zombie panzies that everyone else is. So you're saying we should be raising a bunch of people who can't think for themselves. I think you just stated the left's political manefesto right there in your post. Good job. :doh:

High schoolers are young adults, not children.

Give me a friggen break!  These are high school football players.  I'm tired of the left thinking that just because they're a bunch of brain dead zombie panzies that everyone else is.  So you're saying we should be raising a bunch of people who can't think for themselves.  I think you just stated the left's political manefesto right there in your post.  Good job.  :doh:

High schoolers are young adults, not children.

474388[/snapback]

Are they over 18? Then you got a point.

Legally they can't do boo...

Intriguing. I like expensive dishes with 38 DD's. Just heat and serve. 

Time to hit Premiers' rare wine room.

474387[/snapback]

I'll make sure the wife is out of town that evening. Or better yet, I'll be back in Buff alone in mid January. Can you round up a bottle of that by then. I'm sure to find the "dish" to go with it by then. :doh:

We are talking about kids here.  Can they really say no thanks to a person that wields power over them?

474380[/snapback]

" Love God or we'll lose this game ! " I'm sure that's what's happening. :doh:

Political Science teachers taking liberal ( usually) or conservative stances while teaching. Wow, that rare. :blush:

" Love God or we'll lose this game !  "  I'm sure that's what's happening.  :doh:

Political Science teachers taking liberal ( usually) or conservative stances while teaching. Wow, that rare.  :blush:

474411[/snapback]

I don't think it is that cut and dry.

There are subtle influences that kids want to live up to.

More like:

"I wonder why I wasn't starting?"

Unfortunately, that is the world we live in (were teachers find the need to be political)... And that is truly sad. It is getting worse.

this is the problem with Conservatives.  There isn't enough kicking and screaming coming out of them (us).  Conservatives (we) are too thin skinned.  We want to make a stand on principle and when the left libs throw their sticks and stones and names like school girls we crumble.

if Conservatives had half the tenacity of liberals the Bible and Prayer would still be in schools.

473959[/snapback]

Thank goodness they don't. Religion in general, I'm afraid is crap. I'm glad it wasn't force fed to me in school. If you and Jr. want to get together and discuss the bible in your living room, fine. Don't make anyone in school be subjected to that garbage. This is where conservatism loses me. A bad philsophy any way you slice it. :doh: