OH NO!! FIRST BLEDSOE , NOW THIS GUY ..

Talonz

Not really.  If you actually look and don't listen to the media, April had a middle of the road coverage team, which gave up no TD's in 2003.  See:

http://nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-RETU...ar?sort_col_1=3

The media used him as a whipping boy, and it was more Martz who would not let him use any 1st stringers on any coverages.  So considering he used on 2nd stringers he did pretty damn good. 

In addition his kicking was tops in the NFL.

http://nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-FIEL...LS/2003/regular

Again, media hype sucks and reality is different then facts. 

Mcnally on the other hand in 2003 was the line coach for one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL. 

http://nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-FIEL...LS/2003/regular

He also had close to giving up the most sacks of any team. 

Yet last year,  Barber seemed to get hit less, doesn't fumble nearly a much, and even with a rookie immobile QB, they give up 10 less sacks.

475383[/snapback]

That was my point re:April...he had crappy talent and relatively crummy special teams (for a guy who's supposed to be a terrific special teams coach).

So, I guess my quesstion is, "Is the OL the exact same as when McNally was there?" My recollection is McNally had a terrible problem with injuries with the Giants...and pretty poor back up talent.

That was my point re:April...he had crappy talent and relatively crummy special teams (for a guy who's supposed to be a terrific special teams coach). 

So, I guess my quesstion is, "Is the OL the exact same as when McNally was there?"  My recollection is McNally had a terrible problem with injuries with the Giants...and pretty poor back up talent.

475401[/snapback]

You're not understanding. April was able to take a bunch of scrubs, and make them average.

Mcnally had at least Pettigoat and Diehl that year, not sure who else, and they were absolutely terrible. Even if he had below average talent, he was unable to do anything with it. April didn't have that problem. While April's ST didn't shine they were not nearly as bad as the nedia would have you believe.

You're not understanding.  April was able to take a bunch of scrubs, and make them average. 

Mcnally had at least Pettigoat and Diehl that year, not sure who else, and they were absolutely terrible.  Even if he had below average talent, he was unable to do anything with it.  April didn't have that problem.  While April's ST didn't shine they were not nearly as bad as the nedia would have you believe.

475433[/snapback]

First of all...forget stats and the media. I saw the Rams play WAY too often and their ST play sucked. Maybe not statistically, but they rarely came up big and usually screwed up when the game was on the line. (At least that's my recollection. I'm old, I drink, etc.). Bobby had very little to work with and it showed. My feeling is that it's the same for McNally...here and when he was with the Giants.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I think we'll see what he can do with some better (or at least, more consistant) talent. His reputation is such that I think he'll get that opportunity in Buffalo.

First of all...forget stats and the media.  I saw the Rams play WAY too often and their ST play sucked.  Maybe not statistically, but they rarely came up big and usually screwed up when the game was on the line.  (At least that's my recollection.  I'm old, I drink, etc.).  Bobby had very little to work with and it showed.  My feeling is that it's the same for McNally...here and when he was with the Giants.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I think we'll see what he can do with some better (or at least, more consistant) talent.  His reputation is such that I think he'll get that opportunity in Buffalo.

475440[/snapback]

Here is an interesting story on his failure. Seems he hasa bad habit of telling management that he can turn sh-- into gold. He is still living off the glory days of Anthony Munoz in Cincy.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/sports/nfl/nfls...20603giants.htm

For now, all McNally can do is defend himself, and the decisions he had input into making.

Here is an interesting story on his failure.  Seems he hasa bad habit of telling management that he can turn sh-- into gold.  He is still living off the glory days of Anthony Munoz in Cincy. 

475451[/snapback]

I don't see anything here:

Popular theory has it that McNally, likened by some to a mad scientist for his ability to take the unlikeliest combinations and succeed with them, lobbied hard against bringing in veteran depth.

“Not true,” the 59-year-old McNally said. “All I said was, I like young players. If you get a veteran, get a healthy one you can coach. Get a three or four-year guy. But those guys cost a lot of money, and after you paid Luke and paid Richie big money, you couldn’t afford another guy."

...that suggests McNally told mgt he could turn s#it into gold...do you?

Here is an interesting story on his failure.  Seems he hasa bad habit of telling management that he can turn sh-- into gold.  He is still living off the glory days of Anthony Munoz in Cincy. 

475451[/snapback]

I thought that Luke P was out most of 2003, and this article confirmed it. It also doesn't make sense about McNally not liking veterans, as the Giants SB team featured an abundance of over-the-hill cast offs from other teams.

I thought that Luke P was out most of 2003, and this article confirmed it.  It also doesn't make sense about McNally not liking veterans, as the Giants SB team featured an abundance of over-the-hill cast offs from other teams.

475465[/snapback]

He missed the last 5 games of that year. But trust mme the oline even with him in there that year. Pretty amazing though the turn around from 2003 to even last year, and then more so this year, don't you think?