This rain in the northeast is ridiculous!

Pete

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It still has not stopped raining here in southern CT. Radar predicts over an inch an hour the next 4-5 hours here. It started raining last Thursday night and has not stopped since- and a good majority of the time it has been pouring! There is some flooding in Essex. High tide is at 9:16 here- I am gonna go check it out

BTW I went to college in Keene New Hampshire. I cannot beleive the pictures I have seen. Main Street is under water. I have some pics of the flooding- I will post this week sometime

It still has not stopped raining here in southern CT.  Radar predicts over an inch an hour the next 4-5 hours here.  It started raining last Thursday night and has not stopped since- and a good majority of the time it has been pouring!  There is some flooding in Essex.  High tide is at 9:16 here- I am gonna go check it out

476246[/snapback]

I believe you are now within your rights to go to your local best buy and start stealing tvs, go to the liquor store, take beer, and wait at the Stadium for the Military to start dropping pallets of water on your head.

I believe you are now within your rights to go to your local best buy and start stealing tvs, go to the liquor store, take beer, and wait at the Stadium for the Military to start dropping pallets of water on your head.

476248[/snapback]

That's got to be the funnest thing I've ever seen you post. Nice work! :(

It still has not stopped raining here in southern CT.  Radar predicts over an inch an hour the next 4-5 hours here.  It started raining last Thursday night and has not stopped since- and a good majority of the time it has been pouring!  There is some flooding in Essex.  High tide is at 9:16 here- I am gonna go check it out

BTW I went to college in Keene New Hampshire.  I cannot beleive the pictures I have seen.  Main Street is under water.  I have some pics of the flooding- I will post this week sometime

476246[/snapback]

Keene is a pictureque town, I have been there and hiked and biked along the cold river, the river thats flooding the area.....Whatever you do when your watching the tide come in tide along the coast, do not save the beached brown trout.......

BTW I went to college in Keene New Hampshire.  I cannot beleive the pictures I have seen.  Main Street is under water.  I have some pics of the flooding- I will post this week sometime

476246[/snapback]

About keene, during the job I had that day, at lunch went down main st. and grabbed lunch, ate at the gazebo, at town common?... Then walked over to a music store and browsed and played the congas, bongas and morrocas and other percussion instruments, neat music store.... Was reading a flier on the wall and it mentioned keene halloween festival, supposedly they have the largest display of jackolantern's in the U.S.....I like small town's there always something unique about them...For instance I was in bath N.H. doing another job around december, to get to the house, had to cross this river thru a covered bridge... on the way back home stopped at the general store nere the covered bridge, on the front porch of the store was woodstove and a couple of people hanging out chatting....Inside was like stepping back in time barrels of candy, barrel of pickles, another woodstove burning fragrant wood, and a plaque on the wall claiming it was the oldest contiously operated general store in the U.S. ...I prefer those stores compared to 7 11,O k, and the cluster of generic mass produced suburban strip mall sreets...Reminds me of the joanie mitchel song, pave paradise, put up a parking lot ...

About keene, during the job I had that day, at lunch went down main st. and grabbed lunch, ate at the gazebo, at town common?... Then walked over to a music store and browsed and played the congas, bongas and morrocas and other percussion instruments, neat music store.... Was reading a flier on the wall and it mentioned keene halloween festival, supposedly they have the largest display of jackolantern's in the U.S.....I  like small town's there always something unique about them...For instance I was in bath N.H. doing another job around december, to get to the house, had to cross this river thru a covered bridge... on the way back home stopped at the general store nere the covered bridge, on the front porch of the store was woodstove and a couple of people hanging out chatting....Inside was like  stepping back in time barrels of candy, barrel of pickles, another woodstove burning fragrant wood, and a plaque on the wall claiming it was the oldest contiously operated general store in the U.S. ...I prefer those stores compared to 7 11,O k, and the cluster of generic mass produced suburban strip mall sreets...Reminds me of the joanie mitchel song, pave paradise, put up a parking lot ...

476412[/snapback]

Definately check out Pumpkinfest if you can. It is amazing! It set a Guiness record last year with 29,000 pumpkins. They are hoping to get over 30,000 this year. It is an awesome party! I agree with you about small towns. There are some wild general stores in New Hampshire where you never know what you can find. As for Keene make sure you grab some beers at Penuches. That place is legendary! Last time I was there I got a pitcher of Bass Ale for $4.50. Another really neat thing to do in Keene is Colony Mill Mall. Its an old mill that has been turned into a mall. Wood floors and all brick- the place is beautiful. Hike Mount Monadnock- the second most hiked mountain in the world. Next time you make it up there let me know and I will give you some more recomendations. I know the music store you are talking about- the name escapes me. Main Steet in Keene is the widest main street in America. Jumangi was filmed in Keene and the whole downtown was decorated- it was pretty wild. Keene State was such a fun school. Great times!

The rain has now stopped and assessing some of the damage....

- The lake in my backyard is at the highest level the old-timers here have ever seen.

- Lots of roads around that have just been washed away. Several dirt roads around here just got "gulley-whomped" to use one of the terms of an old weatherguy in CT; several hundred feet by about 20' in height are just gone. Lots of bridges are out.

- My brother is a police officer in a town nearby. He called tonight and said there have been accidents up the wazoo. People driving through water, hydroplaning and crashing. He had to swim out to rescue a few people who were stupid enough to drive into deep water.

- A guy died at a campground a couple of towns over (my dad has a site there and knew him) when the ground under his ATV collapsed. Tried to push it out of the hole and the ground gave way more and water poured in from a river nearby. Drowned trying to save a $1,000 ATV. I'm sorry, but that's Darwin at work right there.

- Prediction of sustained winds from 25-40mph for the next couple of days. With all of the water making the ground soft, we're probably going to have a lot of downed trees. If you're in the affected area, stay inside and away from trees and branches! Fill up water bottles, b/c there's a good chance of the power going out.

The rain has now stopped and assessing some of the damage....

- The lake in my backyard is at the highest level the old-timers here have ever seen.

- Lots of roads around that have just been washed away. Several dirt roads around here just got "gulley-whomped" to use one of the terms of an old weatherguy in CT; several hundred feet by about 20' in height are just gone. Lots of bridges are out.

- My brother is a police officer in a town nearby. He called tonight and said there have been accidents up the wazoo. People driving through water, hydroplaning and crashing. He had to swim out to rescue a few people who were stupid enough to drive into deep water.

- A guy died at a campground a couple of towns over (my dad has a site there and knew him) when the ground under his ATV collapsed. Tried to push it out of the hole and the ground gave way more and water poured in from a river nearby. Drowned trying to save a $1,000 ATV. I'm sorry, but that's Darwin at work right there.

- Prediction of sustained winds from 25-40mph for the next couple of days. With all of the water making the ground soft, we're probably going to have a lot of downed trees. If you're in the affected area, stay inside and away from trees and branches! Fill up water bottles, b/c there's a good chance of the power going out.

476755[/snapback]

Here in Essex the river is by far the highest I have ever seen. I went out at high tide last night and the water was up to main street, the pier was under water and the water from East Cove was halfway up to the Gris. There was over two feet of rain on that road. Tomorrow will be interersting with the gusts

Definately check out Pumpkinfest if you can.  It is amazing!  It set a Guiness record last year with 29,000 pumpkins.  They are hoping to get over 30,000 this year.  It is an awesome party!  I agree with you about small towns.  There are some wild general stores in New Hampshire where you never know what you can find.  As for Keene make sure you grab some beers at Penuches.  That place is legendary! Last time I was there I got a pitcher of Bass Ale for $4.50.  Another really neat thing to do in Keene is Colony Mill Mall.  Its an old mill that has been turned into a mall.  Wood floors and all brick- the place is beautiful.  Hike Mount Monadnock- the second most hiked mountain in the world.  Next time you make it up there let me know and I will give you some more recomendations.  I know the music store you are talking about- the name escapes me.  Main Steet in Keene is the widest main street in America.  Jumangi was filmed in Keene and the whole downtown was decorated- it was pretty wild.  Keene State was such a fun school.  Great times!

476754[/snapback]

I would like to see 30000 glowing, and I imagine the scent of all those jackolanterns on a crisp nite is noticeable and good.......Penuches, been to the one in concord, like an old irish pub, rootbeer is good for me now....I love those old mills, they're still are around and used for retail, work and apartment's...With the exposed brick and oak and pine, and sometimes the old machinery that was in use over 100 years ago........Hiked monadnock, nice view to the south see boston, to the west see green mountains in vermont and the the ranges in newyork.............Also drove up pack monadnock and setup the telescope and checked out the solar system, that storm on jupiter is clearly visible, and still going strong after hundreds of years, glad this nonstop rain will let up after only a couple of weeks....If you did monadnock, you probaly checked out lake nubanusit, that is some crystal clear water.....I seen that movie, after I came back from some summer concert tours that had me feeling jumangied ......Town's like keene are quintesential americana......