What am I missing here?

Johnny Coli

I see people talking about Holcomb's performance using terms like "touch" and "spark", and I'm completely dumbfounded.

The offense scored a grand total of 3 freaking points in 38 minutes.  3 points!!!!  And those came on a 47 freaking yard FG.

After the TD, this well-orchestrated offense in the hands of the savior Holcomb had 8 drives.  6 ended in punts, 1 ended with a fumble, and 1 ended with Lindell's miracle FG.  Their longest drive in that span was a pathetic 38 yards, and 6 of the eight drives were FOR LESS THAN 10 YARDS!  That is utterly laughable.

How can anyone in their right mind argue that Holcomb did any better than JP would have done?  What am I missing here?

The best that could be said about his performance is that the offense wasn't on the field long enough for him to blow the game.  And he was lucky in that regard, because he only lost 1 out of his 3 fumbles.

Like I said, how could JP have done any worse than Holcomb.

472404[/snapback]

Holcomb was far more accurate with his passes, which at least kept them out of an egregious number of third-and-long situations. Even if he didn't stretch the field, his completions made the difference between 3rd and 11 vs. 3rd and 2, or 3rd and 8 vs. 1st and 10, or 3rd and 7 vs. 1st and 10, or 3rd and 10 vs. 3rd and 5. Five drives either kept alive or kept within managable distances on third down because Holcomb managed simply throw an unspectacular completion.

Other than that...you're right. Irrespective of the QB, this offense sputters and stumbles its way through a game. Like my signature says: if the answer is Kelly Holcomb, someone's asking the wrong !@#$ing question.

When he was benched last week, he was running around high fiving players and slapping their pads. You know, the "rah rah" stuff.

The truth is that many of these men have been in the NFL for many years, and don't need to be cheered on by a rookie who at this early stage.....flat out sucks.

473272[/snapback]

That BASTARD!

:doh:

When he was benched last week, he was running around high fiving players and slapping their pads. You know, the "rah rah" stuff.

The truth is that many of these men have been in the NFL for many years, and don't need to be cheered on by a rookie who at this early stage.....flat out sucks.

The Buffalo Bills are not "his" team yet, despite the competition free anointment as such by TD. I think that he needs to settle down, listen to his coaches, and act like a professional.

Jmo Dan.

473272[/snapback]

Act like a professional? Professional what? Accountant? They are playing a game. Last I checked the "professionals" in the game high five and slap pads, even those that have been playing for many years. If he wasn't intended to interact with the team, why wasn't he just sent to the locker room? Or is it that a true professional would "take being benched seriously and sit in a sulking manner?"

Act like a professional?  Professional what?  Accountant?  They are playing a game.  Last I checked the "professionals" in the game high five and slap pads, even those that have been playing for many years.  If he wasn't intended to interact with the team, why wasn't he just sent to the locker room?  Or is it that a true professional would "take being benched seriously and sit in a sulking manner?"

473295[/snapback]

In my office, the professionals take off early for a round of golf.

Maybe Bill's secretly pining for Ryan Leaf. ;)

Wow. Talk about looking for stuff to B word about.  Damned if you do...

473282[/snapback]

Seriously AD, it disturbed me just a bit.

I WANT the kid to be cocky, and I hope that his time will come that he can do so with a measure of credibility.

Seeing him act this way conjured up images of a rookie cop shouting instructions to a seasoned vet, or in your case a new soldier giving YOU a "sis boom bah" type of act when you were an experienced vet.

I am not trying to make a huge issue of this.....I'm just pointing out something that rubbed me the wrong way.

The Buffalo Bills are not "his" team yet, despite the competition free anointment as such by TD. I think that he needs to settle down, listen to his coaches, and act like a professional.

Jmo Dan.

473272[/snapback]

You made more sense when you were bitching about how banning smoking would make all the NYC bars close up. This is, without a doubt, the biggest stretch I have ever seen, and the second biggest misinterpretation I have ever seen. What he did on that sideline after he was benched was nothing short of professional, courteous and right.

For you to take him to label this sideline antics is just looking for something else to B word about.

Holcomb played the game that everyone has been screaming the Bills offense needed to play. He led a very methodical & efficient attack. It was the little things like checking off plays and actually going to a third read on a play that made the difference.

If we go back to the Anyone But Drew chants, Holcomb was the ideal caretaker of the offense for 3 quarters, although it got dicey later on when Dolphins put the entire rush on.

I don't know if Holcomb masked the bad play of the OL pass protection, because he had absolutely no time against the rush in the 2nd half. We can talk about any adjustment you want, but when the line isn't blocking, you can't make an aggressive defense pay with downfield passes.

I dunno' nuthin' 'bout no secret board, but what would you rather have JP do?  If he's not cheering on his teammates (like the other 41 guys on the sideline), he'd be pouting on the sidelines and we'd have JP=TH threads all over the place.

It may very well not be his team yet, but what I saw goes a long way toward making it so.

473320[/snapback]

JP will have his chance to lead this football team. QBs in the NFL are dropping like flies. I was only trying to make the point that it is good to win players the over by on field performances.

While he was acting out, Moulds was more than likely lobbying against him, right?

Again, I didn't raise this as a life or death issue.

Everyone can relax and go back to where they were. :doh:

Oh no, has the secret board emptied out against me?  ;)  :doh:

473307[/snapback]

What "secret board"?

And you have to admit, "he was getting excited on the sidelines and high-fiving his teammates" is a pretty damned weak criticism (and this is coming from someone who has said multiple times that he doesn't like Losman.) As I recall, such horrible human beings as Jim Kelly have indulged the same antics.

Really, you can do better than that. It's not like he punched the coach or frenched Angelo Crowell...

And you have to admit, "he was getting excited on the sidelines and high-fiving his teammates" is a pretty damned weak criticism (and this is coming from someone who has said multiple times that he doesn't like Losman.)  As I recall, such horrible human beings as Jim Kelly have indulged the same antics.

Really, you can do better than that.  It's not like he punched the coach or frenched Angelo Crowell...

473341[/snapback]

People get on Bledsoe because he showed no emotion....then get on Losman because he shows emotion...

Really, you can do better than that.  It's not like he punched the coach or frenched Angelo Crowell...

473341[/snapback]

Speaking of Angelo Crowell.......I think JP's "display" on the sidelines coincides with Angelo's "display" on the field. They both have that certain "spark". I for one am all for it.

GO BILLS!