TIVO/DRM

Dan Gross

I read this a while back and had been meaning to post it. Here's a summary on a PVR-related blog about TIVO's software being modified to allow a broadcaster-set expiration flag on each broadcast. Yes, this means that, no matter what you set for expiration (never , for example), there is the potential for an over-ride that can get your shows deleted from your TIVO after a set period. I just recently got through a weekend of catching up on a season and a half of Battlestar Galactica, now I have to worry if I can afford to do that again... :rolleyes:

I read this a while back and had been meaning to post it.  Here's a summary on a PVR-related blog about TIVO's software being modified to allow a broadcaster-set expiration flag on each broadcast.  Yes, this means that, no matter what you set for expiration (never , for example), there is the potential for an over-ride that can get your shows deleted from your TIVO after a set period.  I just recently got through a weekend of catching up on a season and a half of Battlestar Galactica, now I have to worry if I can afford to do that again...  :rolleyes:

472109[/snapback]

Speaking of BSG. Thanks to whoever told me to watch that show after I expressed my "love" for Stargate. BSG is awesome. I'm about 90% through season 1.

As for the topic at hand, that would suck big time, but I'm sure there will be ways around it.

Speaking of BSG. Thanks to whoever told me to watch that show after I expressed my "love" for Stargate. BSG is awesome. I'm about 90% through season 1.

As for the topic at hand, that would suck big time, but I'm sure there will be ways around it.

472177[/snapback]

Battlestar Galactica is a fun show. The season's are too short (in the Soprano's vein), but I was hooked as soon as I saw the mini-series on NBC (or CBS or wherever it was).

The season finale was pretty awesome. I won't spoil it for you Clutch as you're not through season 1 yet, but man, I can't wait to see what happens. It's like a soap opera for dudes, but even my wife who hates sci-fi stuff is interested because of the characters' relationships with each other. That and because you never know for sure who's a "toaster."

Frack, I can't wait! :rolleyes:

Battlestar Galactica is a fun show.  The season's are too short (in the Soprano's vein), but I was hooked as soon as I saw the mini-series on NBC (or CBS or wherever it was).

Ahhh... but you get two 10 episode seasons a year ... I actually kind of like the way they have it set up, with the {half} seasons starting in January and July

Ahhh... but you get two 10 episode seasons a year ... I actually kind of like the way they have it set up, with the {half} seasons starting in January and July

472450[/snapback]

It does break up the Network "dead times."

Doesn't mean I'm not dying to see the next one. :rolleyes:

472450[/snapback]

I guess that's true enough. But man, season 2 was even better than the first, and the finale... I don't want to spoil anything for Clutch, but man, that's a serious cliff hanger!

I'm like Dan, I don't want to have to wait. :rolleyes:

472450[/snapback]

Apparantly the season break is only a US thing. In the UK, they had a few weeks off and then started up with the cnotinuation of season 1. The same thing is expected with season 2 -- ie: If you scour the 'net, you can probably find the continuation of season 2 online (and maybe even in HD...) long before you can watch it on Sci-Fi in the states.

Not that I condone that sort of thing.

CW

Apparantly the season break is only a US thing.  In the UK, they had a few weeks off and then started up with the cnotinuation of season 1.  The same thing is expected with season 2 -- ie: If you scour the 'net, you can probably find the continuation of season 2 online (and maybe even in HD...) long before you can watch it on Sci-Fi in the states.

Not that I condone that sort of thing.

CW

472532[/snapback]

I normally don't condone those methods, but if I have to worry about my TIVO deleting the stuff for DRM reasons...

I normally don't condone those methods, but if I have to worry about my TIVO deleting the stuff for DRM reasons...

472582[/snapback]

If that day ever comes, like the Galatica, the cylons in the broadcasting industry won't be able to control older PVRs. So frack them.

As for BSG, you gotta love a show that found away to use the f-word like that. I can't wait to see season two now. Almost done with season one. I have the last four episodes of season two recorded and they are re-running the season two right now so I'll be caught up well before season two picks up against in January.

If that day ever comes, like the Galatica, the cylons in the broadcasting industry won't be able to control older PVRs. So frack them.

Actually, they could... If they really wanted to...

As for BSG, you gotta love a show that found away to use the f-word like that. I can't wait to see season two now. Almost done with season one. I have the last four episodes of season two recorded and they are re-running the season two right now so I'll be caught up well before season two picks up against in January.

472927[/snapback]

If you have HD, apparantly HDNet shows some (all?) of the episodes in HD at some point. I don't know when that point is though, so I have to keep my eyes open. :pirate:

CW