My far-fetched idea

Right on the money Lothar; that is exactly the reason those fat loads would never make it through a single practice, much less make an NFL roster and contribute.

They have absolutely zero endurance and after they'd run one or maybe two series you'd have to start pulling their fat asses off the field with a crane.

Personally I'd much rather see somebody like Walter Jones in a sumo ring. I think he'd be tossing Nips all over the place.

472120[/snapback]

The prevailing image of a sumo wrestler is a Japanese Fat Bastard in a diaper. But as I posted earlier, there are European sumo wrestlers in the middleweight class that are anything but fat. Also, endurance can be trained. You can't grab 5 guys out of the dojo and put them in the NFL. But you can take guys who trained as sumo and train them to play O-line because of the similar skill set you use.

PTR

there are European sumo wrestlers in the middleweight class that are anything but fat.

And exactly how much does a middleweight sumo weigh? 240lbs? Do you really want a wall of 240lb NFL lineman as the foundation of your offense?

But you can take guys who trained as sumo and train them to play O-line because of the similar skill set you use.

Really? I've never seen a sumo pull, nor have I ever seen one slide and mirror, nor have I ever seen one get out on the screen or get upfield into the second level. A sumo ring is probably no bigger than 10-15 feet while a football field is significantly larger. The only thing similar in the skill sets is the use of hands and that's only a msall part of a player's repertoire. If sumo wrestlers had a chacne in hell of competing with NFL players, some enterprising coach would have tried it already. There's just no way any of those guys could play ball at anywhere near the level required to make an NFL roster.

And exactly how much does a middleweight sumo weigh? 240lbs? Do you really want a wall of 240lb NFL lineman as the foundation of your offense?

Really? I've never seen a sumo pull, nor have I ever seen one slide and mirror, nor have I ever seen one get out on the screen or get upfield into the second level. A sumo ring is probably no bigger than 10-15 feet while a football field is significantly larger. The only thing similar in the skill sets is the use of hands and that's only a msall part of a player's repertoire. If sumo wrestlers had a chacne in hell of competing with NFL players, some enterprising coach would have tried it already. There's just no way any of those guys could play ball at anywhere near the level required to make an NFL roster.

472159[/snapback]

No need to get all worked up. There are a lot of things nobody tries until somebdy does and is successful. All I was saying is that , in my opinion, Sumo skills relate to O-line skills. I agree you can't grab a guy from sumo and stick him the NFL, but to say that it's impossible that a sumo could learn to play O-line is wrong too.

PTR

No need to get all worked up.  There are a lot of things nobody tries until somebdy does and is successful.  All I was saying is that , in my opinion, Sumo skills relate to O-line skills.  I agree you can't grab a guy from sumo and stick him the NFL, but to say that it's impossible that a sumo could learn to play O-line is wrong too.

PTR

472166[/snapback]

Not worked up at all. I've just heard the idea too many times and it gets no less ridiculous each time somebody brings it up.

If you want to go find a sumo and spend a couple years trying to change his body type, his conditioning, his eating habits, his training regimen and his skill set in order to get him through a single NFL practice, that's fine. But then he won't be a sumo any more, nor will he be an NFL player either.

Cya

Not worked up at all. I've just heard the idea too many times and it gets no less ridiculous each time somebody brings it up.

If you want to go find a sumo and spend a couple years trying to change his body type, his conditioning, his eating habits, his training regimen and his skill set in order to get him through a single NFL practice, that's fine. But then he won't be a sumo any more, nor will he be an NFL player either.

Cya

472178[/snapback]

Sorry I brought it up. :rolleyes:

We also need.............

One guy that is 6'11.

Put the tall guy in on field goal attempts and let him block them!

471959[/snapback]

We had 6'10" Mike Rockwood for awhile. He couldn't block kicks, and he couldn't play tackle either.