OT : NHL Hockey. Do the owners have profit..

FTW_BillsFan

The owners need to open all of the books, prove to the players their salaries are too high and that the majority of the teams are losing money.

34955[/snapback]

I think they've done that, but the players' argument is that there are 2 sets of books, or why not do it like MLB, which is a crap system. They don't care IOW because they're not thinking long-term.

I think they've done that, but the players' argument is that there are 2 sets of books, or why not do it like MLB, which is a crap system.  They don't care IOW because they're not thinking long-term.

34957[/snapback]

The players think that the owners are like Uncle Vito's bookie racket do they? I would think the NHL is too high profile to try and keep 2 sets of books.

I think the players have taken one too many concussions.

Both sides need to do what is best for the game. Salary cap and revenue sharing.

Part of the problem is that the players may go with a cap, but only if the owners also agree to a salary floor, which they have not yet said they'd do. If the cap was 40 mil and the floor was 30, then the cheaper teams would be forced to spend.

Oh yeah, and bring back the old didvision/conference names, they were cool and Bettman is an idiot for changing them.

Part of the problem is that the players may go with a cap, but only if the owners also agree to a salary floor, which they have not yet said they'd do.  If the cap was 40 mil and the floor was 30, then the cheaper teams would be forced to spend.

Oh yeah, and bring back the old didvision/conference names, they were cool and Bettman is an idiot for changing them.

35225[/snapback]

Which Division / Conference names? They have had a few...

The one Change that I would like to see is getting rid of the point for overtime losses. Lose the game and the loser gets 0 points.

As for the play itself, I would like to see more offense based on stickhandling and quick passing as opposed to dump, chase, muck, stall, etc...

NHL teams get like 2-4 million total per season in TV money compared to the 77 million that NFL teams get. I don't understand how the players can't see that salaries cannot continue to climb as they have without the league folding. The public cannot support that type of system.

Part of the problem is that the players may go with a cap, but only if the owners also agree to a salary floor, which they have not yet said they'd do.  If the cap was 40 mil and the floor was 30, then the cheaper teams would be forced to spend.

35225[/snapback]

I don't know if I'd agree to a salary floor. The NFL doesn't have one, and usually the teams that don't spend a lot on players aren't very good and don't attract new ones. Most teams WILL spend up to the cap, and with revenue sharing and a cap that is a percentage of gross revenue, teams don't have an excuse NOT to be able to spend.